Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Ok to put vapor barrier behind DuraShield?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to put vapor barrier behind DuraShield?

Hey guys! Long time, no see!

I hope everyone's well. I just have a quick question...

The instructions that come with the DuraShield panels I bought say not to put a vapour barrier behind them. When I tore out the old shower that I'm replacing (still) there was some mold on the insulation behind the tiled wall. There was no vapor barrier.

So now I've gone and put in a whole proper vapor barrier, only to read the instructions and have them tell me not to.

So my question is this... is the vapor barrier simply unnecessary, or will it actually trap moisture and cause some sort of harm to the DuraShield? I was told when I bought it that the stuff was pretty much waterproof. Am I asking for trouble by leaving the vapor barrier there?

If I take it out, will I end up with moisture getting to the insulation and causing mold?

Re: Ok to put vapor barrier behind DuraShield?

HI WILD WEASEL!!!,
    Boy your not kidding long time no see,I think about where you must have gotten yourself off to from time to time.

Don't know nuttn' bout dura-shield.

Just had to say hello.

things sure have changed alot since you used to hang it here.

Adam

Comment

Really? Things still look pretty much as I remember... what's changed? Are all the regular players still here, with all the regular pockets of drama?

Things aren't all that much different in my world. Today is my 3rd anniversary and I'm still very slowly building the same shower. This year, the priority for spending money went to fixing up our back yard, which turned out beautifully. We refinished the fence, deck, and patio and bought some outdoor furniture and a bbq.

All the work paid off, as we had some really good parties over the summer!! Now it's winding down though, so it's back to work on the shower.

Plumbing, framing, and lighting are all done. I've got a nice fixture with separate temperature and pressure levers, the door is much wider (it originally opened around 17", now it's around 29" though it will get smaller once tiled and what not) and the light is in a proper aluminum box this time rather than just shoved up into the ceiling.

Now I've vapour barriered most of it, including the ceiling (right below the unfinished attic) and an outside facing wall, with pink insulation in all of it to keep noise in.

Then I read the little ditty about not putting in vapour barrier...

Comment

lots of silliness these days

Comment

Correction... it's not DuraShield I bought. It something called DensShield.

I called the maker and they said I should shred up my vapour barrier by putting cuts in it every few inches.

It seems like a shame after all the work I put into putting it all in!

Comment

DensShield is crap! Cement board is the good stuff, costs more but worth it. The Canadian building code requires a continuous vapour barrier for exterior walls. Leave your vapour barrier in place, even if you must use the DensShield.
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Densheild is more expensive than cement board here.

Comment

I do with all boards and my inspector has never once went against that, but I'll check out our code and see what Minn. have to say about it, later on.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Densheild is more expensive than cement board here.
                  That doesn't necessarily make it better.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. So you don't think any harm will come from it?

I went with DensShield instead of cement board because I was told cement board was difficult to work with and DensShield was completely waterproof. Is there a downside?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                      Thanks for the input, guys. So you don't think any harm will come from it?

I went with DensShield instead of cement board because I was told cement board was difficult to work with and DensShield was completely waterproof. Is there a downside?
                      there is a tile contractor that I network with that HAS used it I'm going to give him a call.Some other tl/contr voiced a slight dissaproval a few months ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X