Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant open a cleanout

Hi,
    I'm not a plumber so I need advice on how to get a stubborn cleanout open. I have been beating on it with a vice grip and a hammer. Do I need a special tool or a pipe wrench or should I call a pro??
    Thanks!!

Re: cant open a cleanout

Originally posted by carpenter76 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not a plumber so I need advice on how to get a stubborn cleanout open. I have been beating on it with a vice grip and a hammer. Do I need a special tool or a pipe wrench or should I call a pro??
    Thanks!!

I would like to see a picture, it's worth 1,000 wordds, is your cap brass, plastic, countersunk, raised head??

I have a set of "c/o cap wrenches" I got for $150.00, does most every cap out there, really nice on the c/o's under the lids of a c/o adapter sunk in concrete 4-6 "

I have drilled out a hole and run a sawzall in the cap to cut out a star patern and break out the caps, be carefull not to cut the c/o fitting.

Many tricks, just need a pic to help you further. raised head or countersunk is very important info
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Its a 4" cast iron pipe I think and a 1 1/4" square head. cant get a picture sorry. Can I get the c/o cap wrenches at any hardware store or is it a specialized tool. thanks for your help its very appreciated

Comment

it's probably brass and has never been removed. the wrench set is fairly expensive and really designed for hard access. if you can get a wrench on it, try to tighten it first. also some heat from a torch will cause different expansion rates. truthfully like robert said, use a sawzall to cut a cookie out and then replace it with an abs plastic plug for future use.

don't damage the fitting or threads with a bigger wrench

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

thanks rick will try that out. hopefully will have a successful post tomorrow.
          this is my first post, you guys got an excellent forum here and I appreciate the professional opinions.

Comment

I`d use a hammer
            but I`m gonna tell you to call a "pro" as you dont want any of it to fall in the line I do this maybe twice a day
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Yep, if it's being that much trouble, call a plumber and let him deal with it.

You may be "biting off more than you can chew" and if you end up making a mess of things, It can only get more expensive.

My 2 cents

Comment

Use a hammer and a good chisel to bend and or pry it out, you may need to replace with a expandable plug becauce thread may be shot any how.

Comment

Freddy has the right idea, if it is a brass cap it won't take much to chisel a wedge shape pice out then try turning the cap again. Don't hit the threads and don't drop the pice inside the pipe.

Comment

I put the chisel in the threads and fold it out of the cast.

Some times, If you work your way around the exposed threads it will unscrew
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

A guy once told me all you got to know about plumbing is "S**t flows downhill and payday is friday". Well he was wrong, I called a pro in. He did exactly as you guys said. Knocked it out, snaked it and replaced it without breaking a sweat. I guess there are some things carpenters should'nt do.
                      Thanks for all the advice.
                      Last edited by carpenter76; 09-08-2007, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X