X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilets

would anyone know why my toilets are double flushing? Meaning the bowl empties twice and almost a third time before the flapper can fall. this is with the water level set at the line. this is a kohler wellworth toilet with a fluidmaster fill valve and a bullseye flapper thanks for any help

Re: toilets

You probably have a 1.6 gallon flush toilet with a 3.5 flapper.

Install a 1.6 flapper and you should be good.

Comment

I agree, change the flapper to a korky plus, red one or, if you have a floater (foam) on the flapper chain, adjust it.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

that's my point. kohler uses 12 different flappers.

depending on what flush valve you have will determine the proper flapper.

most kohler toilets of newer design now have a label stuck to the bottom of the lid to give you the part #'s and trouble shooting.

the wellworth 1.6gpf. typically uses a low flow flapper with the foam float. the older ones were of a plastic design with a silicone seal and the newer style are all rubber.

i took a photo of some of the kohler flappers i keep in my truck. there will be a good link there for all the part #s. i will find the thread from a couple of days ago.

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-08-2007, 01:22 AM. Reason: typos/ joey caught it.
        phoebe it is

Comment

why do you have to make all your posts so annoying ,if it is not a color then its in in big writing or you wright a book .
          try not to show off its not working and no one is impressed
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Tieger plumbing
            ASK Chris. as he is the man when it comes to 400A's

He is the expert, experts ask advice from

Or try lowering the water level slightly and see if that helps
            it's bad enough to read in big print. it's even worse when you are clueless. at this point stick with what you know

charging prices higher than anyone i've ever heard of before.

leave the fixing for the pros. 99% of toilets require a water level in the tank 1'' or less from top of overflow pipe. even if the water was all the way to the top, it would not double or triple flush.

replace the flapper to the proper low flow flapper and adjust the level to 5/8'' from the top of the overflow.

tieger, if you anti up a dollar for every b.s. answer and every wrong answer, the forum would be rich and you would then charge it to your other uninformed customers.

if you want to contribute as a pro, answer as a pro. not a child.

last time i checked the font size is default as 2, not 7.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Hi again guys and thank you for your time but i'm sorry to say that all of the above answers are wrong. The fill valve is a fluidmaster the flapper is the one that comes in the same box. The ten dollar kit, not to be confused with the thirteen dollar kit that has the handle in it from fluidmaster. also the one gentleman is correct in saying the water level really needs to be at the water level line for it to act properly. This house has two identical toilets one of them works fine the other is on crack or something! I have done every adjustment and used every different level trying to make this toilet flush right. I have removed it and snaked the line, I've ran my auger through it to make sure it was clear in its throat, i have snaked from the two way clean-out, I even went so far as to take the fill valve and flapper out of the same identical toilet from the other bathroom and put them in there to no avail......I know i have seen this before yet I can't recall what the deal is....what does anyone think about some sort of problem in the line as this customer is experiencing moisture problems in one of his closets he has had a leak detection company out (although i have little faith in their abilities) they could not give him an answer as to how the moisture is accumulating there is absolutely no water lines or sewer running along that side of the house the closest thing is this toilet and its twelve feet away also behind his house he has a pretty steep hill that his wife waters everyday and refuses to stop to test whether this could be it. one last thing wouldnt it seem like this double flush thing would be happening to both toilets they are not back to back but they are within ten feet of each other. My apologies for not giving all of the facts to you in my prior post but I was thinking one of you would have suffered through this at some earlier time. thanks jay

Comment

jay, please look at the toilet and get the date from it. if it's after a 1990 date, it's a 1.6gpf. the flapper that comes with the fluidmaster kit has to be a low flow flapper and fluidmaster makes an adjustable flapper.

is the toilet plugged, or is it double flushing.

a wellworth low flow toilet with a regular flapper will double or triple flush. a plugged toilet will typically siphon out the bowl after it flushes.

fill in questions to get the right answer.

not to knock you, but do you work for a company or yourself?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

HAHA I looked at his occupation too!

I have had some situations where the water pressure coming in to the tank is so great that it will keep the flapper floating as a combination of water and air going down the refill/overflow tube. It will create turbulence and keep the flapper floating.

Try turning down the volume on the angle stop or fill the tank and shut off the angle stop and see what happens.

If this corrects it, you all owe me $1

Joey
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by jwordchic View Post
                    Hi again guys and thank you for your time but i'm sorry to say that all of the above answers are wrong. The fill valve is a fluidmaster the flapper is the one that comes in the same box. The ten dollar kit, not to be confused with the thirteen dollar kit that has the handle in it from fluidmaster. also the one gentleman is correct in saying the water level really needs to be at the water level line for it to act properly. This house has two identical toilets one of them works fine the other is on crack or something! I have done every adjustment and used every different level trying to make this toilet flush right. I have removed it and snaked the line, I've ran my auger through it to make sure it was clear in its throat, i have snaked from the two way clean-out, I even went so far as to take the fill valve and flapper out of the same identical toilet from the other bathroom and put them in there to no avail......I know i have seen this before yet I can't recall what the deal is....what does anyone think about some sort of problem in the line as this customer is experiencing moisture problems in one of his closets he has had a leak detection company out (although i have little faith in their abilities) they could not give him an answer as to how the moisture is accumulating there is absolutely no water lines or sewer running along that side of the house the closest thing is this toilet and its twelve feet away also behind his house he has a pretty steep hill that his wife waters everyday and refuses to stop to test whether this could be it. one last thing wouldnt it seem like this double flush thing would be happening to both toilets they are not back to back but they are within ten feet of each other. My apologies for not giving all of the facts to you in my prior post but I was thinking one of you would have suffered through this at some earlier time. thanks jay
                    Dude,
                    The answer to the double flush has already been given here several times.

Stay focused on the toilet, that is where your problem is.

It's not the wife watering the yard I'm pretty sure of that.

Comment

the toilet is not plugged I merely did all of those things to eliminate any possibilities in my attempts to solve this issue. The water pressure coming into the home is sixty five psi. The toilet double flushes, flapper comes up bowl goes down once tank is still nearly half full and flapper has'nt even dreamed about coming down yet, bowl evacuates second time flapper falls slightly after and just short of going for a third time it fills the bowl. i understand your question on whether i know anything at all about plumbing and I can tell you honestly I am a very qualified plumber I have a large customer base, with no advertising it keeps getting larger by referral. No matter how you look at that it says a lot about whether I'm qualified to be trusted with pipes full of waste, and water. I am one of the most thourough trouble shooters i know and this is not something stupid that I'm missing this is something that is kicking my *** and i want to get to the bottom of it so that this never happens to me again. I have given you every bit of information i can think of that i have and you have given me the same steps to try that i tried in the beginning which to me says that my thought process is sound and basically working in the same direction as yours do and none of us knows what it is caused by and I'm still hoping for any ideas from any of you and I will keep on trying anything reasonable and very much appreciate all of the help and i'll eat that flapper if this turns out to be something stupid that i am missing I rarely have to ask for help on things as i am smarter than most of the pipes i work on but this closet is a tough one so please stop questioning my ability and help me solve this problem i will be nothing but honest with you and like i said if it turns out to be something stupid you'll have my picture posted not with a snake but my tongue will be flapping

Comment

Once bowl clears 1st time flapper should fall.

If it's not then you have wrong flapper or wrong bowl for tank

Rick, give him the correct part number for the flapper he needs.

Better yet..he's near you..go find out what's wrong in person and report back here

Dog, you want a piece of him?
                        Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Better yet..he's near you..go find out what's wrong in person and report back here

Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i want to know if he is a plumber then why is he asking for help on a toilet ,thats plumbing 101
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Crack,

That's why I try not to get involved in residential. A while back I assured Josh I would try to be nicer, but it gets harder and harder, by the minute.

You guys are wasting your time because this is no plumber, just a homeowner. Tell him to call a plumber.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X