X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of leaks in horizontal pipe

My parents have been living in the country for around 11 years. They have well water and it's soft. They've had about 11 leaks during this time. All pinhole leaks and only in the horizontal lines in the crawlspace. They've never had a leak in the wall. Are my parents lucky or is their a reason behind this?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Cause of leaks in horizontal pipe

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    My parents have been living in the country for around 11 years. They have well water and it's soft. They've had about 11 leaks during this time. All pinhole leaks and only in the horizontal lines in the crawlspace. They've never had a leak in the wall. Are my parents lucky or is their a reason behind this?
    You are a plumber. Give more information.
    the dog

Comment

http://www.toolbase.org/Building-Sys...-pinhole-leaks

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Water-Qua...aks-copper.htm

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...r+pipe&spell=1
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
        You are a plumber. Give more information.
        What else do you need?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          What else do you need?
          1) Type of pipe.

2) On fittings or pipe.

3) Hot water, Cold Water, or Both.

4) Circ. System, if on Hot Water.

5) Age of system.

Those 5 would be a start. What do you want, mind readers? I thought you were a plumber. Read your own question and see if you can answer it with the information you provided.
          the dog

Comment

1) Type of pipe.

2) On fittings or pipe.

5) Age of system.

Those 5 would be a start. What do you want, mind readers? I thought you were a plumber. Read your own question and see if you can answer it with the information you provided.

give him a bone then ask the question
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

ben, glad you posted this here. didn't look at bhd's links yet.

i felt that trapped co2 is the culpret in the pin hole issue.

i think mark/ utah is up on this

get a chance and read the links from bhd. he is usually 99.9% dead on with his research and info

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

With just the horizontals leaking and the lack of other info Rick sounds right on. If that is what is going on it is fairly normal for suspended CO2 in well water to do just that.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  With just the horizontals leaking and the lack of other info Rick sounds right on. If that is what is going on it is fairly normal for suspended CO2 in well water to do just that.

Mark
                  can you repeat that mark

i like to hoard this stuff

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

1) Type of pipe.
                    Hard copper, type L
                    2) On fittings or pipe.
                    pipe
                    both
                    no
                    5) Age of system.
                    about 20 years
                    Sorry Dog, wasn't thinking the whole thing through. By the way, how many times have you ever gotten your a$$ kicked for the way you talk to people?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Type L copper pin-holing after only 20 years of service?

Has the well water been tested?

Doesn't really matter at this point it's already too late to save this copper from further leaks.

Time to repipe...good thing they know a plumber

Comment

Pressure and pipe size are important factors also. Well water typically isn't soft (at least around here anyhow)

Pitting is almost always associated with hard well waters. Well waters treated to raise the pH to 8.0, or above, to remove dissolved carbon dioxide are generally rendered non-corrosive to copper. Aeration is also an effective means of removing dissolved carbon dioxide, and has the added benefit of stripping dissolved hydrogen sulfide from the water, when present. Well waters in some areas of the contain hydrogen sulfide which not only causes an offensive odor problem, but also promotes cold water pitting of copper water tube. Treatment schemes to remove hydrogen sulfide generally rely on a combination of chlorination and aeration.

Acidic Water (low pH) indicates intensity of a given water in terms of alkalinity or acidity. Acid or alkaline strength is measured on a scale that goes from 0 to 14. The mid point being 7 is the measure of neutral water, neither acid nor alkaline. Acidic water is any water with a pH below 7.0 with the acidity increasing as the numbers get smaller down to 0.

Significant amounts of dissolved carbon dioxide (co2) are often present in groundwater, which if not properly treated, can be extremely aggressive to copper tube. The effect is most commonly referred to as Acold water pitting, and is characteristically observed in cold water piping, but not in hot.

A copper water distribution system should be designed so that the water velocity through the tubes is within the range of 5 to 8 feet per second (fps), depending upon the tube size and the water pressure. For the smaller tubing sizes normally installed in home plumbing the design velocity should be targeted toward the bottom of the range. (4 to 5 fps)

As one would expect, the greatest effect of velocity occurs where the water is forced to change flow direction, such as at elbows and tees, but excessive water flow rates can be damaging to the entire plumbing system. When copper tube is installed that is too small in diameter for the pressure and flow available, the resulting high flow rates can erode the protective coating creating areas of bare, unprotected copper. This effect can result in a high rate of corrosion wherever the protective coating is eroded.
                        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Tieger plumbing
                          http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/1999/copper.asp

Why are you always writing books everytime you post?

Also if you are on this forum and other forums all the time when do you work?

Also if you have your own forum why aren't you there?

Comment

If it was me I would start by checking the pressure and pH level of the water (litmus paper is inexpensive) and go from there.

You may have to treat the water, at which case you would probably be better off using a pro service. Being a city dog I don't have much knowledge of wells.
                            the dog

Comment

Working...
                            X