Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Purpose of elevating water heater?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    stay away from tankless for many reasons that have been discussed in other threads.

rheem, bradford white, a o smith, american appliance are all basically the same at this price range. sort of like a g.m, ford, dodge.
    Are they not all going bankrupt?

Are you sure you do not want a tankless?

Sorry ... could not resist.

Comment

Originally posted by theoak View Post
      Are they not all going bankrupt?

Are you sure you do not want a tankless?

Sorry ... could not resist.
      He has a tankless now.
      The Other Rick

Comment

Was told S.F. no longer requires the 18" elevation for W.H. in garages.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Here they removed the requirement for an 18" elevation for the whole state. Then they reinstated it for some reason. The FVIR test should cover it. Better safe than sorry I guess.

The electric ones on the stands make less sense to me. Any links to an electric water heater causing flammable liquids to ignite from the elements coming on?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            it is true.. with the fvir heaters out now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
              are you guys not using sealed combustion chamber burners yet? About 3 years back all hot water tanks were changed to sealed chambers because alot of HWT's are kept in carports or garages in the US (Correct me if im wrong), and since people were keeping solvents close to tanks, standing pilots were causing explosions.

It was a big deal here because tanks go in basements in canada, not garages. Yet we had to pay the $100 pirce increase for the new chamber. Whats going on here
              We thought it was great when the new style WH was coming out - no more stands - Rude awakening - some places still require the stand!!!

Comment

I like to err on the side of safety but if I recall the FVIR test is dumping a gallon of gasoline a certain distance from an FVIR appliance while it is in it's firing mode. No fire or explosions, passes.

Do we need more safety such as a stand?

J.C.

Comment

POINT OF IGNITION

That's the whole reason for installing it off the floor.

That FVIR technology is not foolproof.

I was the fool who didn't change burner orifices on a whirlpool a few weeks ago,

when I lit the burner assembly that flame was exiting through the bottom of the heater, easily.

Now tell me how that protects if that reversal happened, and there's gas fumes being pulled right into that chamber.

What makes no sense is that a water heater has to be raised but a dryer with a hot surface ignitor does not? GTFO
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

DB-Who makes Whirlpool now? I'm familiar with State/A.O.'s systems.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

American Mfg. aka Craftmaster. Cheapest water heater ever made.

I don't know about anyone else but when HD was selling those GSW's, I thought that was a good water heater. Had very few callbacks/problems with them. Anyone else?
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Not familiar with Americans FVIR system.

A.O's/States seems good but can be finicky.

Rheem's has been good without problem for me.

BW is just not here at all.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          POINT OF IGNITION

That's the whole reason for installing it off the floor.

That FVIR technology is not foolproof.

I was the fool who didn't change burner orifices on a whirlpool a few weeks ago,

when I lit the burner assembly that flame was exiting through the bottom of the heater, easily.

Now tell me how that protects if that reversal happened, and there's gas fumes being pulled right into that chamber.

What makes no sense is that a water heater has to be raised but a dryer with a hot surface ignitor does not? GTFO

good point reminds me of another fool oops - wont happen again

The last whirlpool I messed with, changed the thermocoupling with left hand threads which can only be found at lowe's. Worked for six months, then out. Guess what, the only place that sells the LOWE's lefties no longer has them, thanks for nothing. Had to order from whirlpool, and pay for shipping!!! Customer didn't have the money to replace the WH. Told her save money and replace next time with rheem.
                          Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM. Reason: because it's the right thing to do

Comment

Working...
                          X