X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of elevating water heater?

If natural gas has a specific gravity of .60 and air has a specific gravity of 1.0 meaning gas rises; then what is the purpose of elevating a natural gas water heater 18"?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Purpose of elevating water heater?

So he doesn't get his toes wet in a flood.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Raising the water heater prevents the fire box from being inondated by combustable fumes from things commonly found on garage floors like thinners, paints, gas, etc. Keeps the fire box off the floor and a safe distance from flammables, it has to do with flammable vapor ignition.
      Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have no idea but a quick google search brings this up:

"If a water heater is installed in a garage, it is recommended, and many codes require, that it be elevated at least 18 inches (0.46 m) above the floor to reduce the potential for fire or explosion due to spillage or leakage of combustible liquids in the garage."
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_heater

Comment

The water heater pilot is required to be 18" above garage floor or other areas where heavier than air flammable vapors can settle.Also any rooms that can be considered capable of storing said items(restaurant kitchens,commercial sink closets etc.).These areas also need ventilation below this elevation to allow the fumes to escape before collecting.

Comment

Makes sense, thanks.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

are you guys not using sealed combustion chamber burners yet? About 3 years back all hot water tanks were changed to sealed chambers because alot of HWT's are kept in carports or garages in the US (Correct me if im wrong), and since people were keeping solvents close to tanks, standing pilots were causing explosions.

It was a big deal here because tanks go in basements in canada, not garages. Yet we had to pay the $100 pirce increase for the new chamber. Whats going on here
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

we have been using these here too for the last 3 years.

at the end of the year southern california will be required to install newer low nox heaters. this will reduce emissions and reduce our wallets by $125-150.00 dollars. this will affect 50 gallon and smaller heaters with a btu rating of 75,000 or less. of course this is for replacement heaters, not existing heaters.

i guess we in southern california will be able to breath better than those northern california

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                  Are you saying that I ought to do my water heater change from electric to gas before the end of the year? What heater do you recommend (or which to steer clear of) so I'll know what to ask whoever installs it for me?
                  Jack
                  ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
                    Rick,
                    Are you saying that I ought to do my water heater change from electric to gas before the end of the year? What heater do you recommend (or which to steer clear of) so I'll know what to ask whoever installs it for me?
                    Jack
                    stay away from tankless for many reasons that have been discussed in other threads.

rheem, bradford white, a o smith, american appliance are all basically the same at this price range. sort of like a g.m, ford, dodge.

make sure you purchase and install before 12/31/07. after that it's not legal.

double check that your in the scaqmd for this to affect you.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      we have been using these here too for the last 3 years.

at the end of the year southern california will be required to install newer low nox heaters. this will reduce emissions and reduce our wallets by $125-150.00 dollars. this will affect 50 gallon and smaller heaters with a btu rating of 75,000 or less. of course this is for replacement heaters, not existing heaters.

i guess we in southern california will be able to breath better than those northern california

rick.
                      75,000 BTU -- the magic number. This is why most 75 gallons increased from 75,000 BTU to 75,100, 75,500 BTU. I put a 75 in yesterday and it was strange to see a new heater without the sealed chamber. Thank god most people around here only want 50s. I am getting way too old and feeble to lug those 75s around anymore.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

double check that your in the scaqmd for this to affect you.

rick.
                        Thanks, Rick.
                        What's scaqmd?
                        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, Rick.
                          What's scaqmd?
                          not sure if you fall under this where you live?

southern california air quality managment district

the heaters that are affected are 50 gallons and less, with 75'000 btus and lower. 60 gallons and larger are not affected.

still waiting for the heaters to be stocked.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                            Thank god most people around here only want 50s. I am getting way too old and feeble to lug those 75s around anymore.
                            Bruce
                            Old and feeble at only 43? You're still a young buck there. You just need a good helper or two for grunting the old ones up stairs and such.

Sorry but I just had to post this. I do know how it is to have to really GRUNT & GROAN at times. No fun

Comment

Thanks, Rick.

What's scaqmd?

This is an old thread, but I am jumping in because there is NEW information for January 2009.

South Coast Air Quality Management District is LA, Orange, Riverside Counties, and the western(urban) areas of San Bernardino.

Now the news> Beginning 2009, the BAAQMD ( San Francisco Bay Area Air Quality Management District) has adopted the ultra low nox spec ( requires burner which looks like the flux capacitor in the DeLorean).

The only slight thing they did better....they did not condemn existing inventory as of Jan.1, which is what happened in SoCal. Jan 1, 08. In BAAQMD, only water heaters MANUFACTURED after Jan 1, 2009 are required to meet the spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X