X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big drain mystery!

Ok, this is a tough one, I'm not clueless to plumbing but I need to know the best way to proceed without getting screwed by people who don't know their trade. First the background info: I'm getting a large backup in my backyard during heavy storms and I can not find a way to fix it. The house is in Brooklyn, NY and it was built in 1929, pre-depression if that matters, it is semi-attached brick and god knows whats been done to it over the years but anyway.......One of my main problems is that the original drain from the gutter off the back of the flat roof was rerouted from the cast iron stub coming from the ground in the back. They turned it across the building to dump out in the alley and into the floor drain in the back where my backup is, and they removed the cast iron piece when they redid the porch.

Problem #1 I would like to tie that back in.
    Problem #2 I cannot find a cleanout for the main sewer line, I have one for the sanitary but not the storm and a snake will not help, I tried and a "pro" tried. I think I'm at a point where I need a camera or locater to help but I don't know where to start. I can see branches from the sewer line from where they join the main and there is a cleanout but it doesn't seem to be for the main, maybe a cleanout for one of the branches since there is another 4" pipe that the "pro" said was a vent that goes beneath where the cleanout is, I can get all the pics you need, I just really need a pro here!

PS I know there is a lot of info missing but I didn't want to go nuts from the start, thanks!

Re: Big drain mystery!

Pictures! Post as many as you can and you are sure to get some great advice here.

Bruce

Comment

Or......You could just call Tieger Plumbing and let us know how everything went.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
        Pictures! Post as many as you can and you are sure to get some great advice here.

Bruce
        I agree, you definitely need to post pictures
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
          Or......You could just call Tieger Plumbing and let us know how everything went.

Bruce
          That would be fine, except his first line clearly states "I need to know the best way to proceed without getting screwed by people who don't know their trade."

I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Ok you wanted pics, here they are!

3665 shows the back of the house and where they turned the drain, the white elbow is the dead giveaway to where the problem begins.
            3666 is the closeup of where the drain used to go.
            3667 is the relationship of distance to all parts. Behind the chairs on the porch is where the drain used to be, the white leader on the floor under the hose to the right is where the roof water goes now, and the floor drain is the one thats partially clogged.
            3668 is where the old drain pipe was removed or cut back and covered up, the question is why?!
            3669 shows my sanitary cleanout pit, which was flooded yesterday (problem with pipe scale clogging trap) excuse the mess. The cap you can see goes to the street side, the brick is holding down the other cap since there was an issue getting it in, hence the flood in there. The 4" pipe in the back I'm told is not the main sewer line, and the one on the right is what Im told is the vent line. More pics in next post.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok 3670 is the zoomed out view of the pit, the pipe in the back comes from the driveway side of the house and the cleanout by the wall is the street side. The picture is taken as if you were facing the street.
              finally 3672 is the top of the pipe on the right that Im told is the vent.

So what do you guys think? Dont be shy if you need more info or pics, also there is only one hole in the driveway floor drain and Im told it goes to where the roof drain used to go and then out!
              Attached Files

Comment

4 posts in 90 min and then nothing? Dont tell me you people have lives and jobs and families too! LOL Sorry folks, Im off this week and I have lots of time to click refresh! Im really not that impatient, just a jokester...

Comment

They'll respond tonight. Everyone is at work now

Comment

Twin, my hubby HAS to work so I don't have to!

Early morning before everyone is off to work and late afternoon til the wee hours people will be on the forum responding to you!

Joey
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

As you have said, you need a camera and locator, to find where the line runs.
                      Call a few plumbers in the area,you may find someone cheap enough to make it worth your while. good luck. Freddy

Comment

Come on, I was hoping for a little more advice than I got, any other thoughts given the pictures I posted? Also does anyone know any good plumbers in Brooklyn to help me out?

Comment

Ya know, coming on a online forum for the first time and
                          asking a question as you did is a little like a first date.

If you show up with a bouquet of poison ivy instead of some
                          nice flowers you are likely to get a cold reception and little
                          if any action afterward.

I get the feeling that there are those who could be of help
                          but don't want to be accused of contributing to your being
                          'taken', so they are just sitting back and laughing at your
                          ridiculous opening line.

Or more simply:

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ridiculous? Stating that I have limited but functional knowledge of plumbing is not ridiculous. I am a union electrician and I have functional working knowledge of all things electrical, including tremendous insight of how things are done in the industry. So while your typical electrician will rip your house apart, I know how things are wired and can find issues without doing major damage because I know how its done inside the walls. Also asking the "experts" is exactly what it sounds like, you cant call yourself an expert and then pick and choose which questions your answer. I dont expect flowers when a plumber asks me how to upgrade his electrical service or install a GFI so his kids dont get fried in the bathtub. Im an expert at my trade and I answer to my best knowledge and refer to someone more knowledgeable if I dont know the answer. After browsing this forum I came up with my own solution that no one was able to better, so it wasn't so hard I was hoping there was someone with a working knowledge here that might be of assistance. Of course I just joined this forum, its not my trade and I needed help, so I signed up and asked the question, I cant believe you would have the nerve to hold that against me. Im not biting any hands and Im certainly not being fed anything by anyone. So thank you Bob, you've made quite an impression, I certainly hope you dont speak for all the decent people of the world. Last thing, I have no idea what "asking a question like you did" means. Telling people you understand the terminology but not the how makes it easier to explain for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by twintrbo View Post
                              Ridiculous? Stating that I have limited but functional knowledge of plumbing is not ridiculous. I am a union electrician and I have functional working knowledge of all things electrical, including tremendous insight of how things are done in the industry. So while your typical electrician will rip your house apart, I know how things are wired and can find issues without doing major damage because I know how its done inside the walls. Also asking the "experts" is exactly what it sounds like, you cant call yourself an expert and then pick and choose which questions your answer. I dont expect flowers when a plumber asks me how to upgrade his electrical service or install a GFI so his kids dont get fried in the bathtub. Im an expert at my trade and I answer to my best knowledge and refer to someone more knowledgeable if I dont know the answer. After browsing this forum I came up with my own solution that no one was able to better, so it wasn't so hard I was hoping there was someone with a working knowledge here that might be of assistance. Of course I just joined this forum, its not my trade and I needed help, so I signed up and asked the question, I cant believe you would have the nerve to hold that against me. Im not biting any hands and Im certainly not being fed anything by anyone. So thank you Bob, you've made quite an impression, I certainly hope you dont speak for all the decent people of the world. Last thing, I have no idea what "asking a question like you did" means. Telling people you understand the terminology but not the how makes it easier to explain for everyone.

I have reviewed your pictures and think I have the answer:

Your sewer runs in a south, 10' east of your neighbors oak tree. There is a 22 degree offset 3'6" south of the crack in your driveway. Your cleanout is behind the pile of firewood beneath the second window on the side of the house.

Is that what you were looking for?
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X