X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack Pipe Woes!!!

I inherited a rather dilapidated 2-story row house and I'm trying to rehab the property to rent it out.

A plumber with a fancy camera gizmo has shown me a 6" crack in the seam of the cast iron stack pipe so I really do have to get it fixed.

But all the plumbers who have given me estimates have taken one look at me (a schoolteacher) and I can feel the price go up.

The plumber who opened up the wall and found the crack charged me $65/hr. (standard, I think)

I believe the stack only ties into an existing sink, tub, and toilet on the second floor. So I guess that means it's a wet area (?). The stack and all the tie ins are easily accessible through a wall and 1st floor ceiling.

I've researched on the Internet and have seen that I can get the pipe welded, or get a "saddle clamp", or use epoxy putty. Are these options I can use?

How much should I really spend to repair or replace a stack pipe from the basement connection straight up to the 2nd floor plumbing?

This Pauline is in peril!

Re: Stack Pipe Woes!!!

Cast iron can be welded but it is a very arduous process and in the field it's not likely. The other 2 options you proposed are band aids at best. 65 per hour is a great price for a plumber. Without seeing the line it's hard to give a price estimate. Because you are viewing this as an investment property, I would go with the person who will get the job done right. It sounds like you're in the demolition phase and it will be cheaper in the long run to get it fixed right the first time.

Imagine this-you put some epoxy in the crack and it works for a couple years. Then a leak develops and now the sewage drips onto the ceiling. You won't know for a while until you see a wet spot on the wall or ceiling. So now you have to rip out all the moldy drywall, get the pipe fixed, drywall replaced and painted and it'll never look right. And hopefully there's no structual damage. What would all this cost? This is not a "what if", I see it happen all the time. I had a homeowner try to reset his toilet and he also had a bad flapper. He went on vacation and the leaking water caused 32,000 worth of damage. Get it done right.
    Last edited by gear junkie; 09-13-2007, 06:44 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I want to do it right also.

But is $3,200 a "correct price"? I just want to make sure this is not the special price for the stupid lady.

Also I've heard the PVC will be noisy? Is that right?

Comment

Send lots of pictures. PVC is noiser but there are ways around that. Do what Rick recommends and go by referral to find a plumber, not the phone book. Check back at around 9 pm est and this thread will more replies.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
          I want to do it right also.

But is $3,200 a "correct price"? I just want to make sure this is not the special price for the stupid lady.

Also I've heard the PVC will be noisy? Is that right?
          You may want to get three bids to find out what each plumber plans on doing. From that info you can figure out if your prices are to high. If so you maybe able to do parts of the job like demo, to save some labor cost. If you use PVC you will have more sound vs Cast iron Pipe and cost will be higher.
          Good luck. Freddy

Comment

if it is in a wall you can rap it with fiberglass insulation to take away the noise away .
            ask them what they are going to do and let us know we can see if they are pulling one over on you

and in return for our services you can teach us something
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post

and in return for our services you can teach us something

May I offer the suggestion of spelling? Seems contagious around here
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

$3200 was the highest estimate. The other two were about $1000 cheaper at $2280 and $2245.

I had no idea that I could even ask for a cast iron replacement pipe. Can I do that to save money?

Is the epoxy putty solution completely out of the picture?

How much labor can I do myself? Demo the wall?

I hate to sound like a cheapo but I have soooooo much work to do in this house that I am trying to find options and alternatives.

This forum is a great help and ALL suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                X