sweating large copper pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sweating large copper pipe

Robert I have a similar saying; If Mama is happy, everyone is happy.LOL[/quote]

very true bob, very true
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

found the following procedure worked for me. clean the surfaces well,ream and deburr well ,use a good flux, use a heatmat or plasterboard about 2" behind your main direction of flame (protects surfaces and keeps the heat in). no draughts, heat the pipe and fitting (not to hot not to cold but just right -like baby bears porridge). solder, tap the fitting with a hammer (not to hard not to soft but just right- like baby bears porridge) breaks surface tensions aids solder flow. check solder has run 360 degrees.wipe off snots,let cool naturally whilst still hot wipe off excess flux (with wet apprentices jumper) check that you havent set the place on fire.

Comment

[quote=westcoastplumber;94147]As we have all learned from this site, different cities and states have different licensing requirements.

As far as the soldering question, I use my MAPP gas and turbo tourch head for up to 3/4 and some 1", after that I use an MC tank and torch with a 6' hose attachment. My torch for my MC set up has an auto ignitor so I don't need a flint, very easy.

Hi West coast, don't you find the MC tank (10 Cu ft ) cost almost as much to refill as the B tank (40 CU)

I have two MC's and find that there is a limit on the size of the swirl jet tip I can use although I did use it a few times in tight areas with the R oxygen tank to burn out rebar

The auto inittor is great for one handed operation

Comment

For large diameter pipe, in my case 2.5 inch and larger you should always "tin" the pipe. ream and sand the pipe, apply flux, solder without having any fitting attached, wipe excess solder away and let cool ( be sure to wipe with dry cotton towel). This will show you all the spots where the pipe didnt take the solder....sand again, clean the "non soldered" portion and repeat. Once you have solder all the way around the pipe, sand once more, apply flux and install the fitting.....if the fitting doesnt go on easily, either let the pipe cool more or sand the pipe more.

The added time it takes to do this far surpasses the time of fixing a leak or cutting out work you just assembled....

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Robert I have a similar saying; If Mama is happy, everyone is happy.LOL

very true bob, very true[/QUOTE]

After 46 years you'll both learn, that "IF MOMMA AIN'T HAPPY, AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY".

Comment

Originally posted by bob bridgewater View Post
              Some of you guys never cease to amaze me. You make a mountain out of a mole hill !
              OVER HERE ALL THE INSPECTOR DOES IS COME IN AND LOOK AT THE WORK AFTER IT'S DONE.
              Making sure it is done right!!!
              So just to throw a little opinion in from downunder. Bob this snake appears to comes out of the grass often here. I know you feel a bit p-ed off with some of the comments but think of how we feel. Now it is ironic how the rules and regulations specify a license as such and yet they conveniently turn a blind eye when It suits. Now if we give an opinion or information to help you and it all goes south, we end up in front of a Judge who bangs the bench and says we have no defence as we are qualified professionals who know better. You might not think so but some of us here are actually dedicated professionals who care. So then we look at liability. Is it fair that an Insurance Company gives you cover for a field you don't have qualifications in. Don't take this the wrong way but I actually couldn't care two hoots about you as I am not directly affected. I do however feel for the Plumbers who spent years training and are literally slapped in the face because the level playing field has been tilted. Now I guarantee I will get a hammering for venting my opinion here, now, but so be it. Can I also say that in many other past posts where there has been requests similar to yours for help there is an understanding that one should be grateful if any rise to the occasion and help. You should also possibly be some sort of decency on your part to basically respect the fact that this forum is predominantly Licensed Plumbers of sort. It may be hard but ....................!!!!!!!!!!
              So again this is just an opinion from downunder that probably doesn't mean much but it is my opinion.
              Oh and by the way, just out of left field have you given a thought to seeing what it would cost to hire someone who does this as a full time job and not as an experiment. Like all trades it can look easy until you actually get to the coal face. Also as a question out of left filed does the Home Owner know that the insurance premiums they have paid are not going to get them a Licensed Tradesman doing the job. Maybe they can renegotiate their premiums. Then again you have to put your name and reputation and insurance on the works too so that is reassuring to them too I suppose.

Comment

Cleanman 2 , Do You realize this post is from 9/14/2007 ?? Not to worry for Bob Bridgewater , He's no longer a threat to You.
                A plumber came home early one afternoon, to find Bob playing with His Wife's drain N waste assembly! Bob would have been 62 this Month.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool it must have been the FULL MOON of the last couple of days. Sorry I didn't realize the date. I do however stand by the thoughts that you guys regularly display that common courtesy should be given at every stage. I love this forum and not surprisingly learn a lot. It is the small quirks and hints that really open us up in the diagnosing stage. It reinforces that we should never close our minds to other peoples suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Tool it must have been the FULL MOON of the last couple of days. Sorry I didn't realize the date. I do however stand by the thoughts that you guys regularly display that common courtesy should be given at every stage. I love this forum and not surprisingly learn a lot. It is the small quirks and hints that really open us up in the diagnosing stage. It reinforces that we should never close our minds to other peoples suggestions.
                    Well said ,I mine old posts, and It's nice to visit Dog.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                    X