sweating large copper pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweating large copper pipe

Over here in Michigan there has been a lot of B&E copper steeling going on in Detroit.
    Looks like I might get this job replacing new pipe in one old house of three.
    I have sweated many 1/2"-3/4" pipe, but this one I have only been told that some of the pipe is 1 1/2" and larger.
    Is there any tips or hints you folks know that will help me keep the heat up all around the pipe on the large ones so my solder seals, or is it just the same and keep moveing your tourch. ?

Thanks
    Bob
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Re: sweating large copper pipe

Not to sound like plumbdog or anything, but who is contracting you to do plumbing if you are not a Licensed plumbing contractor?

Here in Georgia you can get in trouble, IF you get caught.

Comment

Not To Sound like a ChrisConnor,
      I aint no spring chicken!
      We have a Builders licence, Insured and a member of the BBB...
      We do inside and outside work. Insurance work with Inspectors. I am geven some jobs to do and that's, that.
      I was asking for a tip or two, not to answer a question like that.
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

bob, are you sure the large copper is for water and not waste and vents?

typically after 1'' copper size, the real art of solder shines. it's all about proper cleaning and heating. keeping the torch moving and allowing the copper to do the melting of the solder is critical.

also keep in mind that the flux we use now is water soluble and not very fun when you have water, steam, moisture.

practice first as the price of copper and fittings are sky high

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
          I was working on the house a few doors down and they are as unique as they are old, Like little mansions in a fine part of Detroit. (Palmer Woods)
          I was told some piping was for hot water heating and some for waste, as the last one was also.
          I might get this one and really appreciate your Tip.

I wonder if I work two tourches, one on each side if I can get the heat needed for my solder to shine.
          Last edited by bob bridgewater; 09-15-2007, 12:28 AM.
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          Be safe out there folks
          Bob B
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by bob bridgewater View Post
            Rick,

I wonder if I work two tourches, one on each side if I can get the heat needed for my solder to shine.
            not a good idea. how do you add the solder

a good air/ acetelyne torch (not oxy/ acy) will do perfect. turbo torch makes a good one. connect it to a b tank and your good to go.

i've done up to 6'' type l copper with this set up. now i tend to propress or silver braze it with a oxy /acy. torch.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I found out from my boss the the large piping is for waste and to the cast vent. We talked after I posted and he told me just what was riped out. I have'nt seen the job yet, but I asked what about PVC.
              We cant use it, city wants copper.
              Rick using two torches would'nt I get the heat even enough on my pipe and lay one down working the other, just let my solder do it's work?
              Last edited by bob bridgewater; 09-15-2007, 02:55 AM.
              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
              Be safe out there folks
              Bob B
              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

bob this has worked for me, heat one spot for a bit and hold the soider 180 degrees away on the other.
                once it melts you can flow all the way around. but i would practic that if i were you. as i am not a plumber either but i have done that for up to 2" copper
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Am I hearing correctly,the city wants copper DWV on privately owned single family homes.

Usually we only use it for multiple family structures or commercial.

The copper drainage fittings are very thin,real easy to scorch the flux out of the fitting.

The only torch I need for this is a turbo torch that screws on top of the mapp bottles.They make other torches for these tanks DON"T fall for them.

Bench practice,high heat for getting entire fitting and pipe to uniform soldering temperature.Then lower flame to draw solder into fitting.Wipe.Then lower flame even more and CAP the joint.Everyone has there little "WAYS" and preferences.

good luck.

Don't burn the house down

ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                    Not to sound like plumbdog or anything, but who is contracting you to do plumbing if you are not a Licensed plumbing contractor?

Here in Georgia you can get in trouble, IF you get caught.
                    YO Chris, sorry for the delay BUT the holidays came and I did not want to get struck by lightning so I kept away dude. Happy New year

I dunno but we solder 6" copper and never thought it was different then just soldering (Brazing is a little harder)

Comment

I'm lost here...
                      A city government wants an unlicensed "plumber" to solder cast fittings on multiple residences?
                      Who foots liability?
                      How does this get inspected?
                      I know homeowners sometimes cut corners and hire unlicensed guys to save a buck, but a city?
                      2 + 2 = ?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        I'm lost here...
                        A city government wants an unlicensed "plumber" to solder cast fittings on multiple residences?
                        Who foots liability?
                        How does this get inspected?
                        I know homeowners sometimes cut corners and hire unlicensed guys to save a buck, but a city?
                        2 + 2 = ?

The UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE ( Bronx NY) had a manager who hired lots of non licensed contractors as he went lowest bidder and figured being the PO he had sovern immunity like the Port of NY / NJ Authority who writes their own codes

Many cities have the best politicians money can buy thus they hire whom ever they feel like and pay below scale if they feel they can get away with it.
                        This is America where rules were meant to be broken, if you think I am wrong ask to drug test the senators and see how many would pass

Comment

Some of you guys never cease to amaze me. You make a mountain out of a mole hill !
                          OVER HERE ALL THE INSPECTOR DOES IS COME IN AND LOOK AT THE WORK AFTER IT'S DONE.
                          Making sure it is done right!!!
                          Last edited by bob bridgewater; 09-15-2007, 08:32 PM.
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Be safe out there folks
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

As we have all learned from this site, different cities and states have different licensing requirements.

As far as the soldering question, I use my MAPP gas and turbo tourch head for up to 3/4 and some 1", after that I use an MC tank and torch with a 6' hose attachment. My torch for my MC set up has an auto ignitor so I don't need a flint, very easy.

As far as soldering DWV copper, as it was pointed out earlier, the pipe and fittings are lighter weight, so care has to be taken not to "burn" the pipe or the fitting, although I have never seen this happen, or done it myself, I have heard stories. Keep the torch moving around the fitting and heat the pipe also, work the solder in with the torch, clean well before and clean after, when complete. I also bump the uglies off with a acid brush when the solder is hot.

Good luck and enjoy your learning experience, clean your fittings very well with water and a rag, nobody likes green and black fittings, and don't burn the 2 x 4's, use a piece of sheet metal in close quarters.

Forgot the most important part, ream both your water and drain pipe to the full inner boar of the pipe.
                            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-15-2007, 08:54 PM. Reason: forgot something
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks Westcoastplumber Rick and PIPES.
                              I think the nail has been driven in.

Robert I have a similar saying; If Mama is happy, everyone is happy.LOL
                              Last edited by bob bridgewater; 09-15-2007, 10:32 PM.
                              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                              Be safe out there folks
                              Bob B
                              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
                              X