X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard water deposits

What works best to remove hard water deposits from a Rinnai on demand water heater?
    I installed mine 3yrs ago when I rebuilt our home and the flow is now dramatically reduced. I had planed to install a whole house filter or water softener at the time but living in a 14' camper with 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and, my wife and I was starting to drive us CRAZY so some corners were cut and this was one of them.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Hard water deposits

gene, the safest and slowest process is to circulate white vinegar through the heater. you need to have the 3 way isolation valves.

a circulating pump in a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of washing machine hoses work great. you could put some lime away in to give it a kick too.

make sure you monitor the bucket to make sure it's washing out the particles.

when finished, rinse the heater by keeping the outlet valve closed, the bypass open and turn on the inlet valve to flush. circulate for 15 minutes to rinse and also turn on the heater to help boil off the remainder of the lime.

also check the inlet screen for lime/ dirt.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick,
      I might do it today if I get caught up on all my damn paper work.
      I understand there are chemicals for this use(mainly in boiler systems) but they are hard on the piping. Is this why you say vinegar is "safest and slowest"? Safer because it is weaker and not as harsh on piping? Slower because it is weaker?
      Or is it just not a good idea to use those chemicals on water lines for safety reasons. EX; "daddy, why does the water taste funny?"
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        Thanks Rick,
        I might do it today if I get caught up on all my damn paper work.
        I understand there are chemicals for this use(mainly in boiler systems) but they are hard on the piping. Is this why you say vinegar is "safest and slowest"? Safer because it is weaker and not as harsh on piping? Slower because it is weaker?
        Or is it just not a good idea to use those chemicals on water lines for safety reasons. EX; "daddy, why does the water taste funny?"
        remember this is for domestic potable water. vinegar is not going to kill you, it's what makes hot and sour soup, sour

also you need to have the 3 way isolation valves on the heater to safely and properly flush out the heater. all you want to flush is the heater, not the house piping.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

For anything potable I always try to use something that is safe to consume.
          Vinegar, while slow, has the advantage that, should any not be flushed, it will give the water a slightly acidic taste but do no harm to the person drinking it...

Comment

If you follow "RICKS" advice on the pump system,
            A. O. SMITH makes and sales a food grade acid for this that i have used many times on potable hot water boilers, including small
            instant tankless like your's ,

you want to be careful using something like limeaway in potable water systems,

A. O. SMITH'S product is used nation wide for this purpose,

JERRYMAC
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Well I got out of that pretty easy.
              The water is so hard here I just assumed the lack of flow was due to mineral build up but when I pulled out the screen I was caked with sediment. Cleaned it up and now its flowing great

Comment

Working...
              X