X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cutting 7" Iron Well Pipe

I gotta work on my measuring skills :-) .... I measured again - the 7" pipe (external diameter) is the main pipe (I don't think I can be off 1/2" - just to be sure, I measured the circumference at 22"). A six inch pipe is either slipped into the 7" and welded or just welded - I think it is slipped inside ... circumference of it was 19 3/8 - right at 6". Are these standard casing sizes?

Well was drilled around 1975 or so ...

Thanks!

Comment

I will say this one more time and then shut up, more than likely your well was drilled and installed by a licenced professional with the know how and knowledge of your area, and the depth of the pipe was probly put in with accepted practices of the area, for depth and freeze protection.

By cutting off the top of it without lowering the pitless adaptor and pipe, some cold winter you may be with out water and a burnt up pump, and a pipe that is frozen from the well to where the depth of the pipe was undisturbed.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The easy way to cut it, is to call a welder. He will come out and cut it in 1/10 the time of using a grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I will say this one more time and then shut up, more than likely your well was drilled and installed by a licenced professional with the know how and knowledge of your area, and the depth of the pipe was probly put in with accepted practices of the area, for depth and freeze protection.

By cutting off the top of it without lowering the pitless adaptor and pipe, some cold winter you may be with out water and a burnt up pump, and a pipe that is frozen from the well to where the depth of the pipe was undisturbed.
          He has already lowered the ground level. The damage is already done. He could dig up the pipe between the house and lower it and the pitless or take his chances of it freezing which he is opting to do. The height of the wall casing above ground is irrelevant, cutting it lower will do no further damage.

A six inch well casing is a very standard size. You should have no problem finding an appropriate cap. I only use cast iron caps. You can get much cheaper aluminum or plastic caps.

You still haven't explained whats wrong with the existing cap. Why can't you reuse it?

Comment

Current cap is attached to the smaller diameter pipe ... the smaller diameter pipe is welded into/onto the larger diameter pipe - larger diameter pipe is the actual diameter of the well casing. I suspect they used larger pipe and then realized they didn't have a smaller pitless cap and then scabbed onto the larger diameter to be able to use the smaller cap. So, when I cut the larger diameter pipe (however I end up doing it) - I will need to use the larger cap, UNLESS, I reweld the smaller diameter BACK onto the larger diameter after cutting the larger diameter.

I have gone about 8 years without any freezing problems re the pitless adapter to house pipe - however, doesn't mean some bizarre cold spell won't blow the pipe - then is really ugly!

Thanks!!

Comment

Ok that makes sense, not why they welded a smaller pipe that just sounds dumb , your problem of needed a cap. So cut it, good luck with whatever method you use. You should have no trouble finding a cap then your done with it on to the next project.

Comment

Dude,are you trying to market your product.

The boys are going to have a hay day.

I've used t-drill.

Got some nice people over there.Got same day sevice when I was investigating documentation of approval to UPC.

Comment

Working...
                X