Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double stack wax rings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Double stack wax rings?

    Do you guys ever double stack wax rings? If so, how do you do it? Regular wax ring on bottom, flanged on top, or vice versa?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

  • #2
    Re: Double stack wax rings?

    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Do you guys ever double stack wax rings? If so, how do you do it? Regular wax ring on bottom, flanged on top, or vice versa?
    i use the flanged one on top to allow for the regular one to sit perfectly on the top one. no moving or sliding around.

    also i use an extra thick ring that typically will eliminate the need for 2 regular wax rings.

    i've seen lots of leaks with those plastic extenders they stack to make up the space. it appears that they either don't caulk them together or the caulking never dries. i have a collection of the ones i've removed.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Double stack wax rings?

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i have a collection of the ones i've removed.

      rick.
      The more I get to know you, the more I have confidence that I really am not as weird as people say.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Double stack wax rings?

        I always off to do the job right by raising the closet flange to the correct height. I explain to the customer that the stacked wax is the reason it leaked the first time, I have been to so many leaks due to stacked wax.

        If the customer chooses not to have the flange raised, I double stack with the wax with the black flange on the bottom, then the wax without the black flange on the top, never will I use 2 wax with 2 black flanges and stack those, horrible! Never a warrenty on double stacked wax ring toilet re-set's!

        (A double wax stack is used when the thickest wax won't seal properly)


        So, never double stack and always caulk your toilets down
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Double stack wax rings?

          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

          i've seen lots of leaks with those plastic extenders they stack to make up the space. it appears that they either don't caulk them together or the caulking never dries. i have a collection of the ones i've removed.

          rick.
          I have had to extend lots of toilets, due to a new floor, usually a 1/2" tiled floor. I always use a wire brush, then a grinder (if pitted really bad) and gently try to smooth out the surface. After the surface is brought back to almost new, then I use Xylene to clean the surface for guarantee of caulking to adhere. Indeed the drain hole is plugged so no sparks or other debris can go down the hole or gases to come up. I will use a 1/4 - 1/2 tube of 100% silicone caulking and wood screws to fasten down the extension. Never had one leak or been back years later because of a failure, prep work is the key to almost everything to get a job done right.

          For just a couple of bucks more, skip the double stack or extra thick wax rings and add the height instead for the job done right, its no big deal on most flanges. Only seen a few flanges that their surface was so badly pitted and I had to use the grinder.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

          http://www.contractorspub.com

          A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Double stack wax rings?

            [quote=garager;95584]prep work is the key to almost everything to get a job done right.

            quote]

            so very true.

            i say that all the time when someone wants me to re-caulk a sink, tub, shower.

            caulking is easy. the prep to clean out the old is the work.

            i would imagine that if the rings are allowed to propery dry and a good seal is made to the mating flange. then there is no reason why they should leak.

            but most are not installed like yours. and i always find the bad ones that the floor contractors installed.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Double stack wax rings?

              Part of a larger project in S F , was a bath re-tile over existing tile. Base was solid,Used 1 horned ,and a single wax. Now this was 2nd storyof a 1927 circa victorian. Lady of the house wouldn't let us work inside from 1 to 3 pm each day because of childrens naps. How many of You would of cut cast instead?
              Fortunately our major work was 2 retaining walls outside.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Double stack wax rings?

                tool,

                We onced did a bathroom remodel in the Hollywood hills for the lead singer of the group America. His wife would not let us come in through the house so we had to come in through a bathroom window which was about 5' above the ground. I was working for someone else at the time but when she told me my guys would have to lift the cast-iron corner tub through the bathroom window I drew the line. I finally agreed to come back after I was told she would stay out of town until the job was completed.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Double stack wax rings?

                  Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Part of a larger project in S F , was a bath re-tile over existing tile. Base was solid,Used 1 horned ,and a single wax. Now this was 2nd storyof a 1927 circa victorian. Lady of the house wouldn't let us work inside from 1 to 3 pm each day because of childrens naps. How many of You would of cut cast instead?
                  Fortunately our major work was 2 retaining walls outside.
                  Drill out the lead, No need to cut cast to raise a closet flange, there is something called a "Cast Iron Insta-Set" properly screwed to the floor with a piece of 4" ABS to take up the gap between the old cast closet bend and the new insta-set, so there isn't a ledge. seal around the new flange with plumbers dinamite, after you screw it to the floor properly

                  Mark will know the name for the section of pipe I am talking about.
                  sigpic

                  Robert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Double stack wax rings?

                    Thank's Robert ,In the future this will be done! That's why I'm on this forum,To learn. The job in SF has been a good one $$ .I'm not use to these working arrangements.Only a few days left
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Double stack wax rings?

                      Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      Drill out the lead, No need to cut cast to raise a closet flange, there is something called a "Cast Iron Insta-Set" properly screwed to the floor with a piece of 4" ABS to take up the gap between the old cast closet bend and the new insta-set, so there isn't a ledge. seal around the new flange with plumbers dinamite, after you screw it to the floor properly

                      Mark will know the name for the section of pipe I am talking about.
                      mark what's wrong with brother rick

                      the name you're looking for is a "dutchman"

                      i still have a wooden "cork" that i drop into the pipe and pour a lead dutchman. when cool, i remove my cork

                      mark's not that much older than me

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Double stack wax rings?

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        mark what's wrong with brother rick

                        the name you're looking for is a "dutchman"

                        i still have a wooden "cork" that i drop into the pipe and pour a lead dutchman. when cool, i remove my cork

                        mark's not that much older than me

                        rick.
                        It's not a matter of age.You beat me to it Rick

                        Robert,how you have dissapointed me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Double stack wax rings?

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          mark what's wrong with brother rick

                          the name you're looking for is a "dutchman"

                          i still have a wooden "cork" that i drop into the pipe and pour a lead dutchman. when cool, i remove my cork

                          mark's not that much older than me

                          rick.

                          Hmmm, sorry about that rick, no offense taken I hope. Mark came to mind so I posted his name, I knew you would know the answer also, just didn't think of you at that moment

                          Adam, as far as you were concerned, you take to many vacations! I figured you were off again since you didn't post, forgot you were gonna be back today. I did remember you, because I called you this AM

                          Next time, if I forget the name of something, I will just post everyones
                          name
                          sigpic

                          Robert

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Double stack wax rings?

                            If the flange is not sitting on the finished floor, I like to use a Fernco rubber gasket. It sticks to the toilet and then inserts into the pipe. They are great! They work on flanges that are up to 1.5" below grade.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Double stack wax rings?

                              I will never use flanged Wax Rings on any job stacked or not. the flange will cause a stoppage sometimes. I spend a lot of time removing flanged wax rings on call outs as they are the problem most of the time
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X