using a vent pipe for sewer drain??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using a vent pipe for sewer drain??

I want to put a bathroom in a large upstairs closet of a 1920's era home. Not sure of the dimensions but there is a cast iron vent pipe approximately 5" that runs through closet, out to roof & downstairs to sewer line (a straight shot through walls). It 90"s in the basement into the sewer line. Can I, or is it possible to install a toilet and use the vent pipe as a sewer line if it is vented above & below stool. We are selling the house and want to add another bathroom to make the home more appealing to a potential buyer. The home only has one bathroom at this time. I want to avoid having to tear the walls apart to put in a drain. Any other options that I could use? I'll admit I know absolutely nothing about plumbing & hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance.

Re: using a vent pipe for sewer drain??

Most chances that's yes. Just call a licensed plumber,not a cop moonlitighting
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by maggiemay View Post
      I want to put a bathroom in a large upstairs closet of a 1920's era home. Not sure of the dimensions but there is a cast iron vent pipe approximately 5" that runs through closet, out to roof & downstairs to sewer line (a straight shot through walls). It 90"s in the basement into the sewer line. Can I, or is it possible to install a toilet and use the vent pipe as a sewer line if it is vented above & below stool. We are selling the house and want to add another bathroom to make the home more appealing to a potential buyer. The home only has one bathroom at this time. I want to avoid having to tear the walls apart to put in a drain. Any other options that I could use? I'll admit I know absolutely nothing about plumbing & hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance.

Nope not allowed BUT if your in California I reckon anything goes as they say inspector didnt see it they ddint do it

The reasoning for a vent pipe is to vent, remove dangerous sewer gases and considering this piping is from the 1920's the CI could have stress cracks and other defects that you cant see.

ALSO when selling a home they sometimes do an inspection and if you installed a fixture not on the origional plans and no permit taken out to do the work you could be in violation of you C of O then you will have problems selling as banks may not give a morage.

California one of the few states that allows ANYONE who calls themselves a "home improvement" contractor can dabble in plumbing I believe up to $500 soon to go to $5,000 and then the hero's to beat the licensing requirement do 4 $5000 jobs in one home and do away with "plumbers"

The line should be isolated hydrostatically tested at the very least.

A wash down at the base a cast iron vent system is normally considered a basin not something that transfers soil (fecal matter) into the line
      Illinois happens to have a very good plumbing code for a very valid reason..
      Call a local licensed Master plumber and have the job filed to protect yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post

California one of the few states that allows ANYONE who calls themselves a "home improvement" contractor can dabble in plumbing I believe up to $500 soon to go to $5,000 and then the hero's to beat the licensing requirement do 4 $5000 jobs in one home and do away with "plumbers"
        I'm not sure where you are getting your info but you are incorrect. A Handyman can only do a total of $500 for one owner in a lifetime regardless of how many times he is there. He cannot do any work which would require a plumbing permit be pulled which is almost every job except for drain cleaning. Finally, I have not heard of any talk of increasing the amount but would be interested in opposing any talk if you could direct me to where your source is.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by maggiemay View Post
          You may not use the vent as a waste line. Spend the additional money to do it right now so that your buyer does not come after you later to have it all torn out and done right.

Mark

Comment

Sylvan , Wrong , I'm a lic. B. Ca. Gen Con.since 84. A gen. cont. can pull a plumb. permit ,when there are a min. of 3 trades involved in one project. I have plumbed ,wired and have many projects signed off over the years. The $500 law does not let handymen pull permits.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

MaggieMay,

Unfortunately you cannot use the vent pipe as the system is designed at this time.Perhaps it can be AFTER the other plumbing devices have their current plumbing design reconfigured as to provide them with a venting system that will protect your homes water seal traps once you start gushing water past them through your proposed vent stack.

Comment

Nope not allowed BUT if your in California I reckon anything goes as they say inspector didnt see it they ddint do it

The reasoning for a vent pipe is to vent, remove dangerous sewer gases and considering this piping is from the 1920's the CI could have stress cracks and other defects that you cant see.

ALSO when selling a home they sometimes do an inspection and if you installed a fixture not on the origional plans and no permit taken out to do the work you could be in violation of you C of O then you will have problems selling as banks may not give a morage.

The line should be isolated hydrostatically tested at the very least.

A wash down at the base a cast iron vent system is normally considered a basin not something that transfers soil (fecal matter) into the line
                Illinois happens to have a very good plumbing code for a very valid reason..
                Call a local licensed Master plumber and have the job filed to protect yourself
                So many things you post are just a gut pile of some half facts(I LIKE THAT,SOUNDS LIKE HALF A$$,THAT FITS).

We here at the forum have seen just as many unlicensed in every other state doing business they should not.

Again you are wrong.Get therapy,get some medication,do something

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Sylvan , Wrong , I'm a lic. B. Ca. Gen Con.since 84. A gen. cont. can pull a plumb. permit ,when there are a min. of 3 trades involved in one project. I have plumbed ,wired and have many projects signed off over the years. The $500 law does not let handymen pull permits.
                  Thank you Tool, I Guess Mark like many Left coast plumbers need to try to keep abreast of things going on in their neck of the woods.

California (White school board started the Ebonics thing)

California is allowing NON licensed plumbers to do plumbing

These dangerous trends by the Feinstein, Boxer, Pelosi regime sets precedents for the rest of the country

Someone spends a lot of time to master a trade, electrician, HVAC, plumbing, roofing etc only to have a GC by pass them with loop holes created by the best politicians money can buy.

This cancer of the home builders association is going to eventually sweep across the country like a plague.

First they used the term affordable housing to build houses that are not quite as safe as the rich folks have, then they left coast nut cases said low in come housing and eroded the code even further.

Mark, this information by the way was posted on my list 5 years ago and many of the West coast guys got really frustrated and either moved or went into other fields as they could not compete with a GC who used really cheap labor.

General contractors great and are needed but once they decide they no longer need the skills of a licensed trade we all suffer.

I did a little contracting as I hated waiting for the other trades to show up so I decided to hire a tile guy and put him on the payroll and I hired a carpenter etc the only trade I did not do was electrical.

Plumbers are notions for not showing up on jobs when they are supposed to and this is exactly why the GC felt compelled to do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I'm not sure where you are getting your info but you are incorrect. A Handyman can only do a total of $500 for one owner in a lifetime regardless of how many times he is there. He cannot do any work which would require a plumbing permit be pulled which is almost every job except for drain cleaning. Finally, I have not heard of any talk of increasing the amount but would be interested in opposing any talk if you could direct me to where your source is.

Mark

I completely agree with you mark, and I second your stand in regards tot he $500 to $5,000 increase. Not that it would do any more good, but I think they should lower it to $250.00. Increasing it to $5,000 would further put the trade down the toilet, if you get my wiff
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      So many things you post are just a gut pile of some half facts(I LIKE THAT,SOUNDS LIKE HALF A$$,THAT FITS).

We here at the forum have seen just as many unlicensed in every other state doing business they should not.

Again you are wrong.Get therapy,get some medication,do something

heheheh told you so nah nah nah Dirty hands dont you think you should read the rule books in your area?

Don't you love S
                      o called plumbers who have no idea what is going on in their own back yard ???

Must be you on the meds guy as you didnt know about the GC 3 trade ruling ...wake up and start fixing the problem of NON licensed "dudes" dabbling in the trades by putting pressure on the building officials and inspectors

THANKFULLY GC's are there as I now see why the plumbing trade in Calif is going going and soon GONE

Civilized areas will NOT allow a GC to do electrical or plumbing BUT in your areas case I now fully understand WHY the need for GC's to do plumbing as someone has to know what is going on

Originally Posted by toolaholic

Wow finally a list that talks about TRADE Issues and how Politics do affect them instead of name calling unlike DH heehhehehe

Comment

I Guess Mark like many Left coast plumbers need to try to keep abreast of things going on in their neck of the woods.

California is allowing NON licensed plumbers to do plumbing

Someone spends a lot of time to master a trade, electrician, HVAC, plumbing, roofing etc only to have a GC by pass them with loop holes created by the best politicians money can buy.

Mark, this information by the way was posted on my list 5 years ago and many of the West coast guys got really frustrated and either moved or went into other fields as they could not compete with a GC who used really cheap labor.
                        Sorry Sylvan but whom ever you talked to had no ideas about what was happening in California as it never happened. As for a GC being able to pull three non-related trades it is hardly a trend it has been legal for over 30-years.

While I was working as a GC I had a rough and finish carpenters crew, a plumbing and mechanical crew, a stucco crew, a drywall crew, a roofing crew and a painting crew. I hired out Electrical as my best friend was an Electrical Contractor. The GC test includes questions on all of the trades and as such the GC is allowed to pull three non related trades as long as the non-GC work is secondary work.

Mark

Comment

heheheh told you so nah nah nah Dirty hands dont you think you should read the rule books in your area?

Don't you love So called plumbers who have no idea what is going on in their own back yard ???

Must be you on the meds guy as you didnt know about the GC 3 trade ruling ...wake up and start fixing the problem of NON licensed "dudes" dabbling in the trades by putting pressure on the building officials and inspectors

THANKFULLY GC's are there as I now see why the plumbing trade in Calif is going going and soon GONE

Civilized areas will NOT allow a GC to do electrical or plumbing BUT in your areas case I now fully understand WHY the need for GC's to do plumbing as someone has to know what is going on

Originally Posted by toolaholic

Wow finally a list that talks about TRADE Issues and how Politics do affect them instead of name calling unlike DH heehhehehe

Got to run errands.
                          I'll get back to you when I'm ready.
                          Real quick,How do you gather the information that I do not know the qualifications required.WRONG AGAIN SYLVAN

Comment

Adam,

Don't bother repling as it is like trying to hit a moving target. It now looks like we are going from his original post regarding the handyman exemptions to a GC pulling 3-non related trades.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Adam,

Don't bother repling as it is like trying to hit a moving target. It now looks like we are going from his original post regarding the handyman exemptions to a GC pulling 3-non related trades.

Mark
                              I appreciate your diffusion,and do not wish to get out of control and say something wrong

Only may I say to the subject of the current state to the integrity of the rare general contractors who are more capable than the sub-contractors who are more capable of selling their product than installing or maintaining it.

I have a few GCs that have this ability and they are not hurting the industry.

In the contrary,no matter where you are in this country there are people selling labor as qualified tradesmen serving the community

Comment

Working...
                              X