X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being sick from Black Mold?

Replaced a water heater on Saturday that the customer let leak for about 6 months. It was located in a small closet with his washer and dryer. When I pulled it out, I saw there was black mold everywhere. The customer said he would clean it and he did the best job possible. Anway, replaced the heater and today (Monday) I feel like crap.

Real weak, didn't have any energy to work out. I go to Navy medical and all vitals are normal. When I tell the doctor about the mold, she replies "I don't know anything about mold but you're probably alright. Do you think you need a chest xray?" I couldn't belive she asked me that! Has anyone else gotten sick from exposure to mold and if so what were the syptoms?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Being sick from Black Mold?

Did you eat anything different? do you remember feeling like that before, like when you had the flu or something. it could be that the mold caused it and you just need time to clear it out of your lungs. after I am around alot of people smoking I can't run for crap until it clears out.

Comment

I feel like I have the flu without the temp or body ache, I just feel real weak and I'm not hungry which is very wrong for me.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

http://www.startremodeling.com/Mold_Midew_Page.htm

Check this site out. Some say the black mold is just hype. But I'm starting to believe it poses a serious health hazard.
        Did you take pics before/after to CYA?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

ben, could it be you're run down from long hours of work, forum chat, and talking shop on the phone

i don't think mold would have an immediate affect on you. i'll call my brother in law who will know the answer.

i was wrong

depending on the strain of the mold, it can give you flu like symptoms. not all mold or black mold is dangerous. a sample would need to be sent to a lab for a culture.
          as far as treatment goes, you treat the symptoms. sort of like a flu.

b.t.w. cheese, yogurt, yeast are full of mold

maybe you ate a bad cheese and yogurt sandwich

feel better ben. if you're still bad tonight, call me and i'll have you talk to the expert

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hey, take care, and if things don't get better I'll do a tool buy out with the Mrs.
            Rick has enough tools
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good to see our nations military medical facilities are staying on top of the mold issue.

You went to see the doctor after feeling bad for ONE day? She must be quite a looker

She prescribe anything? antibiotics? a blood test? pee pee test?

Just because you saw some mold don't freak out on us. Besides I thought the white mold was the killer mold

I work with a guy that had lime disease. Same symtoms as you just thought it was the flu but it wasn't flu season. 2 years later and he still isn't back to normal. It wouldn't have been so bad but the doctors just kept treating the symtoms and not looking for the cause.

You been deer hunting this year?

Comment

Ben, hope you are feeling better. There was a good web site a couple years ago that had a video about a family in TX who lost their home to toxic mold from water leaks like you describe. I searched but couldn't find it. Anyway here is the lead in to one of the more recent articles;

http://www.webmd.com/content/article...rc=rss_foxnews

Facts May Calm Mold Madness

Study: People Often Mistake Ordinary Allergy for Toxic Mold Syndrome By Daniel DeNoon

Jan. 27, 2005 -- People suffering from toxic mold syndrome -- often blamed on a kind of black mold that grows on damp indoor surfaces -- likely have more ordinary illnesses, a new study shows.
                The finding comes from a hard look at 135 patients referred to a clinic with expertise in mold exposure. Industrial hygienist and study researcher Michael S. Crandall, CIH, referred nearly all of the patients. Eighty percent of the patients had already hired a lawyer to pursue mold-related claims.
                The patients suffered from a variety of possible mold-related health effects, including respiratory symptoms, such as wheezing cough, and nasal discharge, or general complaints, such as skin rashes or joint pain. Yet after rigorous examination -- including gathering detailed histories of exposure, home and workplace analysis, blood and skin tests for mold sensitivity, and two years of medical follow-up -- there was no link between mold exposure, symptoms, and mold sensitivity.

and this one

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...170952,00.html
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank-you Bob,

It is nice to see people trying to get a hold of the mold witchhunt that is putting such a strain on the contractors.

Comment

I posted a mold story in the micro section, about a job I went to. I went saturday to check things out, the restoration company sealed off the garage, removed the section of cieling and said no one could enter for 5 days.

The mold thing has turned into something horrible, I am very carefull around the situation, mold is a very bad word for contractors and their insurance.

It's hard as plumbers locating leaks and such not to get involved. When you say mold, you have the possibility of scaring the customer and dependant on how much the remideation co is going to charge, possibly losing the whole repair job.

Mark gave me some excellent tips on writing invoices when dealing with mold. It is just a bad situation, like the next asbestos scare. some, limited cases are warrented, but for the most part it is just another way for people to get rich.

Good luck Ben, and I hope you feel better buddy.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hey gear do a post tomorrow as to how you are. Any chance It's food poison?
                      I ate in many Navy Mess halls being a Marine !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ben,

Mold can really cause some problems for some people. Go to 1 or more health food stores and ask questions. You will find someone who can give good advice. Your symptoms may have nothing to do with mold, but until you get better, who knows.

Some general advice, utill you get better.

1. Stay away from sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc. Check labels, lots of foods have corn syrup added. Mold (such as yeast) feed on sugars.

2. Don't eat any mold foods, like cheese.

3. Get some oxygen in your system. Sunshine, fresh air, etc. Also most health food stores have some type of liquid oxygen suppliment, drops that you put in water or juice. I can't recall any brand names.

4. If possible use a sauna. The high heat for a few minutes over several days will retard any mold, yeast, etc.

5. Eat any green raw foods, such as spinach and others, the darker the color the better. You can also get good raw green foods in powders or capsules. I like powders better, but the capsules are easier and more convenient to take.

6. Get some probiotic suplements. Your health food clerks can explain. We have 2 types of bacteria in our bodies. Aerobic (lives in oxygen, thus good) and Anaerobic (dies in oxygen, mostly bad for us). When the Anaerobic grows too much we have problems. This is related to mold. The probiotics will put healthy bacteria into you system. If you take antibiotics to kill the bad, the medicine kills both, thus the need for probiotics.

7. Find and consult some type for Natural health professional that has studied this stuff. Most M.D.'s have little experience in this area although more and more are coming onboard.

P.S. Ask about healthy apple cider vinegar. You can also look this up on the webb at www.bragg.com
                        Last edited by thepapabear; 09-24-2007, 11:54 PM. Reason: if I could spell and type I would be dangerous
                        thepapabear<BR>When a bureaucrat has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Good to see our nations military medical facilities are staying on top of the mold issue.

You went to see the doctor after feeling bad for ONE day? She must be quite a looker

She prescribe anything? antibiotics? a blood test? pee pee test?

Just because you saw some mold don't freak out on us. Besides I thought the white mold was the killer mold

I work with a guy that had lime disease. Same symtoms as you just thought it was the flu but it wasn't flu season. 2 years later and he still isn't back to normal. It wouldn't have been so bad but the doctors just kept treating the symtoms and not looking for the cause.

You been deer hunting this year?
                          If you feel like you're not well enough to work in the navy, you have to go to medical. You can't just just tell your boss you're sick. Not trying to freak out you guys but I believe in cause and effect. Saw mold-2 days later sick. Maybe there's a connection. The bad thing with military medical is they're geared to keep you alive, not help you out when sick; they believe that's why motrin was invented. She gave me mucinex, she wasn't hot, she was shfugly and I haven't been deer hunting or in the woods lately.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I suggest you wait for Sylvan to reply. I am sure he was a doctor at one time or another.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              If you feel like you're not well enough to work in the navy, you have to go to medical. You can't just just tell your boss you're sick. Not trying to freak out you guys but I believe in cause and effect. Saw mold-2 days later sick. Maybe there's a connection. The bad thing with military medical is they're geared to keep you alive, not help you out when sick; they believe that's why motrin was invented. She gave me mucinex, she wasn't hot, she was shfugly and I haven't been deer hunting or in the woods lately.

Mucinex is all she gave you??? mucinex is nothing...just for mucus ...it is like 14 bucks at target withought prescription..that's what i feed rob when he he a sick throat
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X