X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City sewer water entering my system?

My toilet, sink and tub/shower backed up. I plunged the toilet - no results. I had the plumber over. Water had now drained from the tub/shower/sink.

He removed the cleanout cap on the side of the house and water poured out for ten minutes or longer. Seems like a lot of water. Will water back up into the vents before it fills a tub or sink?

He then removed the Briggs toilet and ran his "rooter" device beyond the end of my main line to clear any roots or blockage. Apparently there was nothing blocking the line. Reinstalled the toilet and it was still backed up so he ran the toilet snake.

Still backed up.

Meanwhile, the water to the house was shut off and water was draining out of the side cleanout. He thought the city line sewage water might be entering my main line.

During the day (today) water would occasionally flow out the side cleanout, then stop.

Tonight, 1am, I hear water pouring out of the side cleanout. Whose water is it?

Any ideas, suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

BGC

Re: City sewer water entering my system?

That is exactly what it sounds like, a city sewer block

Anytime you have constant sewer flow coming out of an outside cleanout, and your not using any water, thats a good sign

How low or high on the street are you???

What will happen is, that usually the lowest house closest to the city blockage will get the brunt of the blockage...All your neighbors will be flushing and using water without knowing that there is a blockage, cause your the lowest point

Did your drain cleaner call the twp emergency municipal line???

What is the end result...did you call the twp, and did they come out???

If you didnt you should definitely call the twp, they need to clean the line from the manhole, and they wont know unless you or your plumber called

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

It sounds like your are getting a backup from the City but it would have been easy for the Plumber to have figured that out. I cannot believe he did not call the City out to investigate it but that is exactly what I would recommend you do NOW! The worst they could do is tell you it is not the City line causing the problem. If your LA location refers to Los Angeles they will respond anytime 24-hours a day 7-days a week to this type of problem.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

definatly not a local house issue. mark and ben answered it. i just looked up his profile for kicks

mark, not sure if he is in la? his post time and prior western pride faucet question is a tip off. never heard of western pride and he said he bought it at home depot. not that i'm a home depot expert, but it doesn't ring a bell.

if he truly is up at 2:30am in los angeles, he is worse than you and i

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          definatly not a local house issue. mark and ben answered it. i just looked up his profile for kicks

mark, not sure if he is in la? his post time and prior western pride faucet question is a tip off. never heard of western pride and he said he bought it at home depot. not that i'm a home depot expert, but it doesn't ring a bell.

if he truly is up at 2:30am in los angeles, he is worse than you and i

rick.
          I'm sure Greg will be glad to hear Ben and I answered it.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I'm sure Greg will be glad to hear Ben and I answered it.

Mark
            sorry greg, i meant you

i guess it's too early.

but i know ben would have been all over it too with his k-60 and new camera, and soon to come jetter
            phoebe it is

Comment

Through my powers of telepathy I answered right without even posting. 2,957 posts; Rick was bound to get one wrong.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                sorry greg, i meant you

i guess it's too early.

but i know ben would have been all over it too with his k-60 and new camera, and soon to come jetter

Its all good...We all usually pretty much give the same answers
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I just called the DWP, they said they'll be right over. For the record, I am in Los Angeles. I didn't know the DWP would respond 24/7. My plumber urged me to make the call but I had to get back to work. Thanks again.

Comment

The DWP determined they have to replace the line in the street after clearing their line and partially removing a blockage. I'm mid block, on a hill - should I install a backflow prevention device in my main line when they have the street excavated?

Comment

Originally posted by BGC View Post
                      The DWP determined they have to replace the line in the street after clearing their line and partially removing a blockage. I'm mid block, on a hill - should I install a backflow prevention device in my main line when they have the street excavated?
                      You are required under our Plumbing Code to have a backwater in place to protect any fixtures which are below the next upstream manhole.I doubt you would be allowed to install one in the City's ditch as it will be on City property. Send a PM to Westcoast as he is local and discovered some new backwater valves at this years PHCC show which may help you out.

Good luck - Mark

Comment

Thanks for keeping us updated

Comment

Working...
                        X