X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone or plumber's putty?

Looking around the internet today and came across another forum. Their big debate is not flat rate vs. t&m but silcone vs. plumber's putty? I thought their lengthy debate was funny so I pose the question out their to all of you. What do you like? I'm a silicone man myself.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Silicone or plumber's putty?

putty on 95% of everything except natural stone/ marble. then a non silicone caulk.

there is an acrylic caulk with silicone that's a water base and it's fine. 100% is too tuff to work with and it smells.

i hope you don't caulk toilets with silicone

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      putty on 95% of everything except natural stone/ marble. then a non silicone caulk.

there is an acrylic caulk with silicone that's a water base and it's fine. 100% is too tuff to work with and it smells.

rick.
      I am 119% with Rick.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thinking of servicing in the future?

I use Putty mostly always as well.

Unless in an environment where bacteria prevention is an issue(medical,food prep)..Then it is silicone on particular items not frequently serviced.

The only thing I would like to address on this is tub/shower valve escutcheons.I use water base dap cause I don't like the final product silicone leaves me with.

Utah uses putty.He and I never finished our discussion we were having with another group.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
          lol, never done that Rick, I use tub and tile caulk. You should see that other forum. Those guys getting heated up about this subject. Weirdest thing you ever saw.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Before I joined in Feb. I used to see these type of threads on other forums.

Looked like they were a bunch of handymen with a couple of guys per hundred that knew most of the aspects of plumbing.

The ratio here is the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Thinking of servicing in the future?

I use Putty mostly always as well.

Unless in an environment where bacteria prevention is an issue(medical,food prep)..Then it is silicone on particular items not frequently serviced.

The only thing I would like to address on this is tub/shower valve escutcheons.I use water base dap cause I don't like the final product silicone leaves me with.

Utah uses putty.He and I never finished our discussion we were having with another group.
              To clarify (and complete our conversation), I like to use plumber’s putty in the penetrations behind the escutcheons to waterproof the penetrations prior to installing the trim. Once the trim has been installed I like to use a water based caulking (Dap) for the sanitary seal of the trim.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                To clarify (and complete our conversation), I like to use plumber’s putty in the penetrations behind the escutcheons to waterproof the penetrations prior to installing the trim. Once the trim has been installed I like to use a water based caulking (Dap) for the sanitary seal of the trim.

Mark
                i agree with mark 120%

always got to be 1% up on you

p.s joey knew what i was thinking and was pretty much the same as i wrote

rick.

are you guys thinking of moving camps

don't do it. i can't handle all the riff raff myself. plus whose going to keep zeljka and joey entertained
                phoebe it is

Comment

what was the site
                  maybe we can send some people over there ,you know what i mean
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

No worrys, I'm not going anywhere.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      what was the site

This Homie don't roll (troll) that way.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I am 119% with Rick.

Mark
                        No words to describe the feelings I get when I have to yank a drain flange or KS basin with silicone sealing it, latex too for that matter.

Definitely Silicome for one thing...stone countertops.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          what was the site
                          I know I can trust Rosie's sniffer,I'm willing to bet there is at least one other hound that can be capable of this operation

Comment

I've used putty (as an extra measure) on the nylon bevel washers on plastic p-traps for the last 7-10 years. I've recently been told this will cause the slip nuts and tubing to crack, and was a big no-no. never seen a problem or had a call back on this. Any opinions on this?
                            Brent

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
                              I've used putty (as an extra measure) on the nylon bevel washers on plastic p-traps for the last 7-10 years. I've recently been told this will cause the slip nuts and tubing to crack, and was a big no-no. never seen a problem or had a call back on this. Any opinions on this?
                              If the putty is a petroleum base,I can only offer this experience.

Back in the eighties I was fabricating 100's of homes with threaded cleanout fittings with a petroleum based pipe dope as a sealant.About eight weeks later when they were tested with the house waste system they were all cracking at the female threads of the fittings.The mnfctr was brought out only to tell us that the pipe dope we were using was making the fittings brittle by drawing the oil out of the plastic.

DOPE!!!!

I have used putty many times with no problems visible,and I am going back into homes that I had plumbed 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X