X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman's strength and manual pipe threading

I have been unable to get a bite and start a 1/2 inch thread using the triple manual pipe threader that my father left me.

I suspect that the dies are worn out since I asked two strong guys to get it started for me and they were unsuccessful.

Am I right in assuming that if I order new dies that I (as a relatively strong woman), can successfully get a bite on the pipe and thread it? I'm making two door clamps out of black pipe because some jerk stole my real door clamps when he was expanding my house. I'd also like to relocate my clothes dryer and I need to thread black pipe to do that.

By the way, I know I can go to a plumber and get the pipe threaded but I like doing things myself. Definitely my father's child.........

Thanks for helping.

Re: Woman's strength and manual pipe threading

Originally posted by linda moggio View Post
    I have been unable to get a bite and start a 1/2 inch thread using the triple manual pipe threader that my father left me.

I suspect that the dies are worn out since I asked two strong guys to get it started for me and they were unsuccessful.

Am I right in assuming that if I order new dies that I (as a relatively strong woman), can successfully get a bite on the pipe and thread it? I'm making two door clamps out of black pipe because some jerk stole my real door clamps when he was expanding my house. I'd also like to relocate my clothes dryer and I need to thread black pipe to do that.

By the way, I know I can go to a plumber and get the pipe threaded but I like doing things myself. Definitely my father's child.........

Thanks for helping.
    New dies would make it easier but just for the heck of it you may want to take the dies out and verify they were installed correctly.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Utah is right but another thing to add, why not have HD or Lowes thread your pipe? Even if you had to buy new pipe, this would still be cheaper than the dies. Don't forget you also need to use cutting oil when cutting threads.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

not only installed correctly, buy adjusted properly.

loosen the 4 screws that hold the plate on. screw a factory nipple/ pipe into the die about 4 threads and then tighten the plate.

the dies will be spread apart to a good starting point and should start a thread if they are sharp and in proper order.

as ben said, it is a lot easier to measure and get them threaded for you. unless you don't want to pay for a gym memebership

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

.........and I'm betting that you dad is right proud of that fact too.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i was going to say some thing the dog would say but i don't know.

ok i will "call a plumber "

i wouls go to hd or lowes if you only have a couple threads to do .
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

DO what plumber rick suggested and reset the dies and make sure none are in back wards. and the numbers are correct.

The other day I bought a die holder off of EBay, and had new dies in it, could not get it to start on a pipe, looked at it and one die was in backward and it needed to be adjusted jsut like Rick suggested, after that it worked like a champ, started easily and threaded correctly.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                i was going to say some thing the dog would say but i don't know.

ok i will "call a plumber "

i wouls go to hd or lowes if you only have a couple threads to do .
                You are much more appealing in feathers and not fur HAWK

Comment

Possibly how the cutting is done

of the pipe.

I've had this problem but I didn't think it was my dies; I was cutting my pipe with my ridgid cutter too fast and it would flare out the ends where the dies wouldn't catch unless I pulled the threader off, take a hammer and whack a small dent in the edge of the black iron so the die would catch.

If that doesn't work I'll cut a small small piece off the end of the pipe and try for a second go.

IF I use a sawzall to cut the pipe, never a problem with my ridgid dies catching and threading.

I've finally figured out how and when the best time for me is when I need to ream the pipe:

Thread the pipe, before you reverse back take the reamer to the pipe, then unwind the die. That way if you get too tough with the reamer, you'll keep the end of the pipe from flaring as a result when you bring the die back over.

Fusionbond piping is tough to deal with threading as well; have to grind the coating back 2.25" so the dies will pass over the pipe sides.

I'm in budget for that Ridgid 1215 if I can find one used online at a auction.....either that or a used handheld 700.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The 700 is awsome

Comment

Thanks for helping.

The three way stock is harder to get on a pipe then the single like the 12R

When you cut the pipe sometimes there is an outside Burr that needs to be filed then the stock (threader) will slip on a lot easier fro the starting threads to take hole.

Or Drive down the Deegan or take Central ave and pay me a visit in Riverdale You bring the pipe and I will have everything set up for you (You bring the donuts)

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        .........and I'm betting that you dad is right proud of that fact too.
                        "THOSE WHO STRETCH THE TRUTH USUALLY FIND IT SNAPS BACK"

How fitting Dave that here you are at the perfect moment in time.With my favorite,most used signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                          The three way stock is harder to get on a pipe then the single like the 12R

When you cut the pipe sometimes there is an outside Burr that needs to be filed then the stock (threader) will slip on a lot easier fro the starting threads to take hole.

Or Drive down the Deegan or take Central ave and pay me a visit in Riverdale You bring the pipe and I will have everything set up for you (You bring the donuts)
                          are you going to do a freebe or will you charge for the donuts to
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                            are you going to do a freebe or will you charge for the donuts to
                            Of couse,He is a member of the:
                            DCOA-donut consumers of America
                            Certified to do donut inspections-OOCDI's
                            And has a license to consume.

These type of qualifications cost money my good man

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Of couse,He is a member of the:
                              DCOA-donut consumers of America
                              Certified to do donut inspections-OOCDI's
                              And has a license to consume.

These type of qualifications cost money my good man
                              ROTFLMAO!!!
                              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                              X