X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new angle valve?

Last weekend I was helping install a new toilet when I noticed the angle valve was not your typical kind ie. multi turn,.25 turn. The house is about a year old and is entirely fitted throughout with them. This angle valve was all white plastic, round, no visible wrench sides with a push/pull action.
    May you guys ,in your infinite wisdom, shed some light on these. Are they reliable? Are they relatively new? Are they threaded or cmp.? How are they installed/removed if need be? Do/would you use these at home or work? Is this the new standard?
    Thanks

Re: new angle valve?

Did you happen to notice what type of pipe the valve was attached too?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

It sounds like you are talking about a one piece push on valve like this:

http://www.accortechnology.com/flowtite.html

I have never seen one and I doubt I would ever install one. My suggestion would be to replace them when needed and understand they are disposable.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think your right mark, a couple of other companies make these type of stops, I would never use one!

Brasscraft just came out with some new design also, looks like it takes a special notched piece of copper stubbed out. I want to compress or screw my bibbs and stops on, not push them on, no comfort there

Heck, I hate compression too, I would rather solder on a MIP, but it isn't cost effective unless your doing a repair job and the ferrell stretched the copper while being removed.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

good find mark. these are the ones i was thinking of, but didn't remember the manufacture.

i would think these are marketed to the production plumber doing tract work.

a plumber doing high end work or cares about liability would not use these.

the design is a john guess/ shark bite push on fitting.

although i like sharkbite, i don't like a feed line in plastic or a feed line that can't be replaced.

i like the newer 1/4 turn stops. no packing nut to worry about and reliable so far.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Utah,that is exactly the valve I saw. How are they removed?
            As Rick stated the idea of not being able to just replace the feed is not comfortable. Since the whole house is fitted with these buggers any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard View Post
              Thanks Utah,that is exactly the valve I saw. How are they removed?
              As Rick stated the idea of not being able to just replace the feed is not comfortable. Since the whole house is fitted with these buggers any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
              Thanks guys!
              they are removed the same way as a sharkbite fitting. a tool in the shape of a "c" is used to apply force to the release ring between the stop and the wall. it applies force to the gripper teeth to release the bite.

a 5/8'' open end wrench/ crecent wrench will work in a pinch too. insert the tool / wrench behind the stop and apply a forward force to back of the stop. then pull slightly to the stop and it should release.

by the way, make sure to shut the water and drain the system first

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have some additional information regarding the valve you are encountering...these are VERY prominent in the Southeast United States.

The installers like them because they are easy to hook-up (no compression, no glue, no crimpers in small places)...and this is the only valve that is listed and approved to be used on copper, cpvc or pex pipe--universally.

The website is: http://www.AccorTechnology.com and their product is American-made and backed by a 10-YEAR WARRANTY that covers both parts AND LABOR.

The large tract plumbers save a lot of installation time using these and eliminate a lot of field connections (with the valve pre-attached to the hose). These valves are not cheaper--there are many cheaper import compression valves out there.

Also, everyone agrees that compression is not great. There is no listing for using a compression supply-stop on CPVC pipe...in fact, a Brasscraft package says type L or M copper only and SOLVENT WELD for cpvc. Most of the large plumbers in the Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta markets use the Accor product--and won't use anything else unless they need a special brushed-nickel or oil-rubbed bronze special finish.

Also, the installation kit includes a ring that prevents the pipe from going back into the wall (if it's not secured well). Finally, this product DOES NOT remove like a sharkbite-type fitting. It is removed by rotating the valve (counter-clockwise) on the pipe as it unthreads.

In my experience, their customers are VERY, VERY loyal to this product.
                Last edited by THM; 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

So when the valve is initially installed it cuts the copper and the o-ring still seats?

Could you please post a picture of the inside of the valve that receaves the copper.

Also the readers should know that in the past we have replaced these push type angle valves after a short period of time because the lime buildup and corrosion causes them to fail as a shut off in a very shorter period of time than the standard turn type valve.

Comment

It (the GRIP) actually works like a chinese finger-trap...the valve does not mark the pipe when it is pushed-on...whether it is copper, pex or cpvc. The o-ring is not a compress-fit against the pipe (like a sharkbite-type fitting)...so it does NOT require/need an insert...it's more like a seal to the outside surface of the pipe. According to their catalog, their testing PSI is much higher than a sharkbite fitting...it must be because of the two gripper rings...

I've sold many high-rise condo projects and hotel jobs where the owner DEMANDED this product (due to the warranty)...in my experience, the plumber has been more resistant to the product--but the builder wants this type of a warranty...once the plumber installs it, the plumber keeps requesting the Accor product. It must work. On a couple of occasions, I've called their 800-number....and they've worked out the problems with the plumbing company directly...it is (800) 447-5848.

If they have a 10-YEAR WARRANTY on parts and labor...you should take advantage of it.

Comment

Yeah,the mftr may cover his product,but what about me covering my butt after I replace it on scarred copper

Comment

It's like using an o-ring type tub-spout...keep the pipe clean/sanded...it should work. I can give you some of my customers that buy this valve...if you want to talk to them...they seem to like it...A LOT.

Comment

Originally posted by THM View Post
                          It's like using an o-ring type tub-spout...keep the pipe clean/sanded...it should work. I can give you some of my customers that buy this valve...if you want to talk to them...they seem to like it...A LOT.
                          Yes,I agree,I can see it.Unfortunately a tub spout is not under pressure.

I would like to talk to a qualified plumber who uses them and feels confident.You can have him post in public here or he can P.M. me and I will pass on his word

Comment

No problem...

Please check your private messages...

Comment

Originally posted by THM View Post
                              No problem...

Please check your private messages...
                              I have and replied.
                              Good to be able to back up your word.

Comment