Why is the B tank so heavy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the B tank so heavy?

I had a new helper carry 2 acetylene B tanks up 4 flights of steps today. He seems a bit winded and asked why they are so heavy. I told him they are filled with concrete. He didn't believe me so I told him to carry the 2 empties down to my truck parked 3 blocks away. Someone told me this years ago but I couldn't remember why. Or maybe I was wrong?

Re: Why is the B tank so heavy?

What is this Plumbing 101? It is usually is filled with some lime silica or fuller earth. That is one of the reasons you are not suppose to lay your tank on it's side as the acetone is dangerous. Watch for a purple flame to know when the acetone has contaminated your bottle.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ack! I was wrong!

TBH he would have had to carry the empties down anyways.

I was a plumbing major not a chemistry major.

What is the purpose of the acetone in the tank?

Where's Sylvan when you really need him?

Comment

The fuller earth mixed with the acetone absorb the acetylene making it a little safer to transport. Without the fuller earth and acetone the acetylene would be very unstable.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

B tanks are lined with different types of porous materials. Acetone is used to keep the Acetylene fuel stable while under pressure in the tank.

I've heard that adding a small amount of Acetone to your vehicles' gas tank can improve gas mileage.
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Never again say the s-word.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

MC tanks for me

I got away from B tanks years ago......being in service it is pointless as you can solder up 5 houses with a B tank and I'm coming in to sweat maybe 10 fittings tops.

I made a neat stand for mine as well

but I don't use it anymore.....I should ebay it to see what it brings.

Makes it easy to move around though......that's a modified oxygen bottle holder.

MC's are a pain in the *** to keep filling but honestly.....that heavy B tank is overkill for most applications unless you're sitting in a 12 story hospital and not planning on leaving for years.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

No, I know you didn't go there!!

The following is my synopsis of our departed Sylvan!

Some minds are like concrete
                thoroughly mixed up and
                permanently set.

Comment

Acetylene tanks anr heavy, because they are "solid". Aceteylene needs to be disolved, because it becomes highly unstable over 15 psi.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylene

Comment

Working...
                  X