Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Heater

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    2 years ago I would have put a B/W in my home.Just wasn't sure about them now.Glad to hear they are back on top.
    Robert,if the garage floor is sloped how do you get the heater 18" into the air prefab metal or frame with pressure treated bottom plate and red heads.

My muffinbutt is just calling you..pick up the phone

Comment

JUst out of curiosity, is there any reason the pros almost never speck a retail brand like GE? I only ask as I put one in april, '01 and it came with a 12 year tank guarantee. When I asked GE about the prorating schedule back then, they advised that if it leaked at 11 years and 364 days, they would provide me with a replacement unit, same size and quality, free of charge. I thankfully haven't had occasion to exercise the guarantee, but it sure sounded good at the time.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
        I have gone through everyone of my typical responses and cannot come up with one that would be acceptable on this forum

Besides,I don't think your husband wants me paying too much attention to your butt.

Comment

2 years ago I would have put a B/W in my home.Just wasn't sure about them now.Glad to hear they are back on top.
          Robert,if the garage floor is sloped how do you get the heater 18" into the air prefab metal or frame with pressure treated bottom plate and red heads.

It's slopped that much? You can put a pressure treated 2x4 under the front legs? I would do a full width one, not just 2 blocks under the legs, but a full width 2x4 that spans both legs with red heads in the middle, I would also bracket the back of the stand to the wall with the included brackets.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
            JUst out of curiosity, is there any reason the pros almost never speck a retail brand like GE? I only ask as I put one in april, '01 and it came with a 12 year tank guarantee. When I asked GE about the prorating schedule back then, they advised that if it leaked at 11 years and 364 days, they would provide me with a replacement unit, same size and quality, free of charge. I thankfully haven't had occasion to exercise the guarantee, but it sure sounded good at the time.

I have pulled so many retail brand water heaters after 1-3 years due to leaking or bad unitrols, I won't even bother replacing a unitrol on a retail brand heater, they are made cheaply compared to a pro style water heater.

I don't bother with the warrenty issues on a retail brand water heater , by the time I return it to the home depot or lowes to get another, the customer has purchased a pro grade heater.

As far as repairs, I have had some retail brand heaters, if I remember GE was one of them, with opposite threaded thermocouples, I don't carry that crap on my truck, it's a discomfort to the customer if it is an evening emergency.

Over all, just bad luck with them and the fact I pull so many out so soon.

Good luck with yours.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              It's slopped that much? You can put a pressure treated 2x4 under the front legs? I would do a full width one, not just 2 blocks under the legs, but a full width 2x4 that spans both legs with red heads in the middle, I would also bracket the back of the stand to the wall with the included brackets.
              I love my nail gun,I just frame the whole thing,lag and red head.Just seeing what the other guys do
              This one tomorrow is outside in one of those sheet metal closets.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post

My muffinbutt is actually my nick name for her She only calls me it to embarrass me
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I love my nail gun,I just frame the whole thing,lag and red head.Just seeing what the other guys do
                  This one tomorrow is outside in one of those sheet metal closets.

thats cool, don't forget to remove the lucite vent and install proper dual wall b-vent no less then 5' so it flues properly

just thought I would mention it cause you new construction plumbers never run into lucite vents, do you?

your call dropped Adam, I was unable to get a hold of you again, but either way, it was great talking with you
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

thats cool, don't forget to remove the lucite vent and install proper dual wall b-vent no less then 5' so it flues properly

just thought I would mention it cause you new construction plumbers never run into lucite vents, do you?

your call dropped Adam, I was unable to get a hold of you again, but either way, it was great talking with you
                    I'll check the draw with a match for you,M.B.

Comment

Phone died again,sorry

Comment

I blow mine out with CO2,no problems with sediment only takes a couple of minutes to drain.Also,first I run the water through the drain while leaving the heater on full house pressure before I do anything.Been bothered with sediment too many times.

the only time this won't work is when the tank leaks, I used to use air but when you get a leaker it dosen't work well, my nipple and adapter works perfect, 3/4 nipple, no sediment problems. 3/4 nipple, ball valve and hose adapter.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post

g.e. is made by rheem. you did fine

actually, a retail heater is less of an issue returning than a supply house heater. what i'm finding now at the supply houses is that they charge you an upgrade fee. basically ever since the flameguard came out, they now credit you back the original cost and then bill you the current cost. don't think it's fair or correct, but fortunatly less than 10% of the heaters will ever be a warranty issue.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            g.e. is made by rheem. you did fine

actually, a retail heater is less of an issue returning than a supply house heater. what i'm finding now at the supply houses is that they charge you an upgrade fee. basically ever since the flameguard came out, they now credit you back the original cost and then bill you the current cost. don't think it's fair or correct, but fortunatly less than 10% of the heaters will ever be a warranty issue.

I am sure that when the new water heaters come out, due to the price diffference, the retail stores will now be charging the difference in the price.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

the only time this won't work is when the tank leaks, I used to use air but when you get a leaker it dosen't work well, my nipple and adapter works perfect, 3/4 nipple, no sediment problems. 3/4 nipple, ball valve and hose adapter.
                              Haven't run into one yet that CO2 has been a problem ,air takes too long,I can see how it could be a problem if the unit is in the middle of the house and has a gushin leak,but it should be on a pan.Even if it's the 1 out of 50 that leaks too much to use.Sure has saved me hours of waiting for heaters to drain down.I want that heater out of the way immediately so I can get in there and prep the wall.

Comment

Haven't run into one yet that CO2 has been a problem ,air takes too long,I can see how it could be a problem if the unit is in the middle of the house and has a gushin leak,but it should be on a pan.Even if it's the 1 out of 50 that leaks too much to use.Sure has saved me hours of waiting for heaters to drain down.I want that heater out of the way immediately so I can get in there and prep the wall.

adam, next time we are toghether, I will show you my set up, no tank to drag to the heater or nothing, simple, easy, clean and quick.

trust me, it takes about 10-15 mins to drain the tank, maybe less.
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X