Water Heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater

Friend needs a water heater installed Friday.I set maybe 3 a year where I chose.Most are speced or owner request.Supply house guys have a business to run so I can't rely on them wholeheartidly.You guys I trust.I was always going bradford white until I heard a year ago they may be having problems.Now I don't know.In the 90's A.O.smith was the name then they went bad for a while with their tanks,now their supposed to be one of the better ones.

See how much talk there is.

I know about price jump,has any of them stood out good or bad with the efficiency upgrades.

He's a good guy,I want him to get the best that his little bit of hard earned money can get.

Thank-you
    ADAM

Re: Water Heater

Gas or electric?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Friend needs a water heater installed Friday.I set maybe 3 a year where I chose.Most are speced or owner request.Supply house guys have a business to run so I can't rely on them wholeheartidly.You guys I trust.I was always going bradford white until I heard a year ago they may be having problems.Now I don't know.In the 90's A.O.smith was the name then they went bad for a while with their tanks,now their supposed to be one of the better ones.

See how much talk there is.

I know about price jump,has any of them stood out good or bad with the efficiency upgrades.

He's a good guy,I want him to get the best that his little bit of hard earned money can get

Thank-you
      ADAM

I am a huge fan of Bradford White, the problem they were having a year ago was that the wrong t&p valves were installed in the boxes, it was a real pain in the butt. The one other problem that they had was leaky unitrols, but that was an robertshaw problem, that was installed on a bradford white water heater.

I have installed Bradford White water heaters for about 4 years, never had any problems, never a call back.

The warrenties are great on bradford white also, they have 6 years on the tank and 6 years on the controls, most companies have 6 on the tank and 1 on the controls.

good luck in you decision.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Of course the success of a longer lasting hot water tank is getting the sediment off the bottom of the tank, wouldn't you agree to this. I have been flushing out my tank and my parents for years and we have yet to had to replace. I'm like 6 yrs past the warranty and the folks are around 10 yrs.

Now my folks are talking about a tankless. So you boys/girls get the honor of enlightening me on the basic maintenance of these units to get more life out of it, when I go to do it.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Gas or electric?
          Nat. gas....

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            Of course the success of a longer lasting hot water tank is getting the sediment off the bottom of the tank, wouldn't you agree to this. I have been flushing out my tank and my parents for years and we have yet to had to replace. I'm like 6 yrs past the warranty and the folks are around 10 yrs.

Now my folks are talking about a tankless. So you boys/girls get the honor of enlightening me on the basic maintenance of these units to get more life out of it, when I go to do it.
            why go tankless with the success you and your parents have had
            i'm on 18 years with my tank.

a tankless is expensive to buy, install and maintain.
            i was at a new customers house over the weekend. the house is being remodeled and they have not moved in yet. they just had a tankless installed. i was there for a sewer problem and informed them that the tankless looked on the small size.(rinnai 53) i went to show them the flow in the tub and then turned on a lav sink. there was barely a trickle from the sink. they were pissed the contractor told them it was plenty and would supply the whole house (sure, 1 fixture at a time).

after they spoke to the contractor, he is going to install a larger model.

stick with the tank. you can thank me in another 15 years.

i know there are guys here that will disagree, but all i see is horror stories and very little gas savings. even the noritz rep told me the savings don't add up. he said the tankless is for "tree huggers" his words

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

didn't forget about you adam

what size heater is this?

if it's just a residential 30-75 gallon gas heater. the heaters are basically all the same. do you like ford, chevy, dodge? basically that's the difference with the residential heaters.

15 years ago, all i saw and installed was american appliance, ever since they moved from santa monica, ca. their numbers have dropped. i only have 1 supply house that stocks them now.

a rheem, is very common at my supply houses. they make the g.e. line for home depot too

i used to only buy the a.o. smith, but the supplier i was working with dropped them.

bradford white is also fine. that's all my buddy steve uses.

p.s. if it's a biggie i just bought a stair climber 1200# capacity. come and get it.

rick.

p.s. i'm not getting any younger, joey
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

stick with the tank. you can thank me in another 15 years.

i know there are guys here that will disagree, but all i see is horror stories and very little gas savings. even the noritz rep told me the savings don't add up. he said the tankless is for "tree huggers" his words

rick.
                Just curious if that is your all around opinion, or only on remodel/existing. In other words, would you have a different opinion on a new construction home?
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Tankless is an excellent solution if it fits what you are looking for.

Keep in mind with ricks story, the unit was not installed properly.

90% of the units are improperly installed, go with a tankless if you want to free up space, and have endless hot water, not only that, tankless is widely used in europe and are proven to be reliable.

A tankless unit can go over 25 years, no problems, they do require a yearly service, which, so does a tank type, the tank type needs to be drained, the tankless needs to be pumped clean with white vinager, not a big deal if the unit was installed properly with a installation kit.

Nothing wrong with tankless, it just needs to fit you needs and be properly installed.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

By the way, American Water heaters have a bad reputation for being leakers.

As far as tankless on new construction, excellent choice because the house can be piped for it during construction, not costly at all during new construction.

As far as retrofit, the proper job cost 2900-4500.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert,Rick
                      Got a Bradford White in the back of the truck right now for tommorow.
                      I think I'm going to have Robert run the stopwatch.What's your fastest swap out on a water heater.

Sorry,just deleted a bunch of stuff about the flat rate pricing

Comment

I was just about to say that State is what gets installed here. That's all I've seen or installed. My fastest time for a gas water changeout is 55 min. It was the exact same size so I didn't have trouble with the gas line and I installed a ball valve and SS risers, all copper.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Thanks Robert,Rick
                          Got a Bradford White in the back of the truck right now for tommorow.
                          I think I'm going to have Robert run the stopwatch.What's your fastest swap out on a water heater.

Sorry,just deleted a bunch of stuff about the flat rate pricing

A water heater with full code upgrades, less pan, is about 1.45 hrs. It includes the gas flex, crv, earthquake straps, c x c ball valve, 3 new mip's, 2 new water flex's, t&p to the outside, (water heater inside on exterior wall) at appropriate height, 6"-24," new vent connector's and section of vent pipe.

I vapor lock the water heater and pop the old drain off and use a nipple, ball valve and hose adapter, helps it drain faster.

By the way, good choice on water heater brand, I believe you will be happy.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            A water heater with full code upgrades, less pan, is about 1.45 hrs. It includes the gas flex, crv, earthquake straps, c x c ball valve, 3 new mip's, 2 new water flex's, t&p to the outside, (water heater inside on exterior wall) at appropriate height, 6"-24," new vent connector's and section of vent pipe.

I vapor lock the water heater and pop the old drain off and use a nipple, ball valve and hose adapter, helps it drain faster.

By the way, good choice on water heater brand, I believe you will be happy.
                            I blow mine out with CO2,no problems with sediment only takes a couple of minutes to drain.Also,first I run the water through the drain while leaving the heater on full house pressure before I do anything.Been bothered with sediment too many times.

Comment

2 years ago I would have put a B/W in my home.Just wasn't sure about them now.Glad to hear they are back on top.
                              Robert,if the garage floor is sloped how do you get the heater 18" into the air prefab metal or frame with pressure treated bottom plate and red heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X