Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 Gal.Elec water heater on It's side ???????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Gal.Elec water heater on It's side ???????

I have an outside shower to put in. Have limited space! If I put the heat elements down ,will it work? I know this is not done ,and recovery will be slow with the water mix at the same level. But why not??
    Thank's Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 12 Gal.Elec water heater on It's side ???????

You already gave the answer to your own question. You know it's not right, and you know the recovery will be slow, so don't do it. How the heck would you change an element if they are under the water heater? It's a bad idea.

Comment

tool, interesting question

there are some heaters that have side inlets/ outlets. but i would think if the heaters cold inlet was at the 6 position and the outlet was at the 12 position, it would not be a major issue.

remember a 12 gallon electric is very slow to recover. if the 12 gallons are already hot, then that's about all the hot water you're going to get for the next 30 minutes.

never tried, but is there a hugh difference in size between standing and laying?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

You'll find that a 12 gallon electric water heater is about the same height as it's diameter so I really don't know why you don't want to install it upright. Also, you really want the T&P valve port in the proper location for reasons I'm sure you know about. Please install it as the manufacture intended and save yourself on troubles later. If the 12 just won't fit, how about a 10 gallon?

Specs for Bradford White utility (compact) series electric water heaters
        http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...sheets/205.pdf

Specs for Bradford White wall hung Hung electric water heaters - Please see pictures as you may get ideas from them.
        http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...sheets/216.pdf
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-12-2007, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Thank's, I'll probably find another location
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A water heater is meant to stand up, it is built to stand up, if you lay it on the side, I bet you will have problems with the stability of the water heater on it's side, I am sure they are built strong on the bottom then on the sides.

Hope you understand what I am trying to describe.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
            X