Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub faucet too short

Hi,
    We are in the process of doing a full bathroom renovation. Today we installed our tub/shower fixture. The bathtub we purchased is not a standard shape. The end pieces are apparently wider than a typical tub thus when we installed the fixture the tub faucet just barely clears the inside edge of the tub. The water from the faucet hits the overflow drain fitting the splashes onto the top rim of the tub. I went to a plumbing store today to ask if there was some sort of piece I could add to the wall side of the faucet to extend the length by even 1/2 inches. He could not think of anything. The set is made by Price Pfister and according to their parts catalog they don't sell a longer faucet. Any ideas? Here's a picture of my dilema. The contractor has just put it on enough for us to use at this point until we figure out what to do about it. I would like to avoid having to buy a new longer tub faucet since I just spent $220 on this one last week It just seems to me there must be something that can go between this faucet and the wall to extend the length a little?

Re: Tub faucet too short

What is the measurement from the wall to the inside of the tub, to where the spout should sit, to fill the tub properly?

You do not need to have a price pfister spout, you can use any spout that will work and that has a diverter on it.

You can also extend the nipple that the spout is attached to and install a decorative flange or escutcheon between the spout and the tile.

Don't forget to plumber putty the hole around the nipple and caulk the new spout and flange to prevent water from getting behind the wall.
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7ADBF%26sa%3DN

Look under escusions on the link above, it is half way down the page, you may find one that will work for you.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert,
        I think the faucet I have is a standard 5", so I could probably get away with an extra 1/2" and clear the overflow. The link to the site you gave me was great...except I'm a Canuck and they don't ship to the frozen north I have been looking for an tub escutcheon but haven't been to successful finding a company that will ship here. We had tossed the idea around about getting a circular tile and just drilling a whole in the center but again..not easy to find a circular tile to begin with..let alone one that is 1/2" thick?

Comment

Hmmm, well, let me think of something else then...... tile wouldn't work very well at all, your best bet is to get an escustion or find a spout with a diverter that is around 7 " in length.

If your sure your current spout is only 5" long. diverter spouts 7" to 7"1/4 in length are fairly easy to find on line, it may be the best way to go in your case, maybe the local depot may have a 7" or 71/4" spout.

I know kohler has some spouts that are 7" long, and there is a Grohe that is a bit expensive, but it is around 71/4" in length.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Maybe they ship to your area?

http://www.plumbingstore.com/longtubspouts.html

don't forget to tell them the finish, hopefully it will match ok, different companies have different ideas of finishes, one companies brushed nickle isn't another companies idea of brushed nickle, if you have chrome, no worries then, you will be allright.

good luck
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Why not just use a shorter nipple, or cut the end of the existing nipple a bit and thread it a bit farther.

Comment

I know the Michael Graves and Victorian collections from Delta use 6 1/2" tub spouts.

Comment

Robert...unfortunately my finish is brushed nickel and those long ones from that last site are only in chrome. I did find a few other sites that did ship to Canada. One even had a great brushed nickel 7" spout for $40..and $8.00 shipping...I got all the way to check out then they show you the fine print and it said "Canadian orders add an additional $100 for shipping" lol...wow that's a deal! On goes the search. Thanks for your help btw.

Newman..the problem is the spout is too short to reach from the wall to the inside of the tub, I was looking for a way to bring the spout forward away from the wall about a half inch.

Comment

How about one of these:

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...ELAID=65251597

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

mark,

shipping is very cheap to the usa.

the fine print on this site shows additional $100.00

now maybe a nice person like yourself can order it and ship it to him

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        mark,

shipping is very cheap to the usa.

the fine print on this site shows additional $100.00

now maybe a nice person like yourself can order it and ship it to him

rick.
                        I figured she would call over to Yorkwest Plumbing Supply (705 727-9727) at 15 Mollard Court in Barrie, Ontarion and give them the Moen part #. Mark Edwards is their sales guy there and if she talks nice to him he might get her one.

Mark
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-19-2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Just a FYI..."he" is a she I have gone into that place in Barrie and talked with someone there. He's looking into ideas for me. Thanks for everyone's input though..I'll let you know the end results

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I figured she would call over to Yorkwest Plumbing Supply (705 727-9727) at 15 Mollard Court in Barrie, Ontarion and give them the Moen part #. Mark Edwards is their sales guy there and if she talks nice to him he might get her one.

Mark
                            better?

sorry about that.

Mark

Comment

Usually the Price Pfister decorative series comes with an additional escutcheon for the spout which is about 3/8" - 1/2" high. I can't tell if you have it on there.

Could it be the shower head and spout escutcheons are reversed?

You may have to stack a few escutcheons.
                              sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Working...
                              X