X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a tub/ a shower

Hello to all . I am a jack of all trades and master of , well cant think of anything . As I have seen here reading the replies to questions from other people , That there are enough masters here , and I would like to thank you all for giving us advice and helping us save money and letting us know that we may or may not be making a mistake . DIY has nothing on this web site . Anyway I need to remove my mothers bathtub and install a shower , due to her health . I'm going to put a 36" x 48" pan , and tile around it with a built in seat . I have a concrete slab on grade 1970 . The tub drain is approx. 10" from the wall ( right side ). at Lowe's / HD the hole for the shower pan drain is in the center . My tub drain looks like it makes an immediate right turn . Am I correct in thinking that it makes a right and goes to the wall . and then down , and all I will have to do is extend the drain pipe and slope it by raising the shower an 1" or 2 . Thank you .This is what being an american is all about , People helping people

Re: Replacing a tub/ a shower

Originally posted by kenwho View Post
    Hello to all . I am a jack of all trades and master of , well cant think of anything . As I have seen here reading the replies to questions from other people , That there are enough masters here , and I would like to thank you all for giving us advice and helping us save money and letting us know that we may or may not be making a mistake . DIY has nothing on this web site . Anyway I need to remove my mothers bathtub and install a shower , due to her health . I'm going to put a 36" x 48" pan , and tile around it with a built in seat . I have a concrete slab on grade 1970 . The tub drain is approx. 10" from the wall ( right side ). at Lowe's / HD the hole for the shower pan drain is in the center . My tub drain looks like it makes an immediate right turn . Am I correct in thinking that it makes a right and goes to the wall . and then down , and all I will have to do is extend the drain pipe and slope it by raising the shower an 1" or 2 . Thank you .This is what being an american is all about , People helping people

Pictures would really help.

I can tell you that you probably have a 11/2" drain for the old tub and that needs to be increased to 2" for a shower.

The set up on a tub would be the waste and overflow is connected to the
    trap, and then to a santee that connects to the vent and the drain, depending on your set up, you could have a flat vent set up, then the drain will connect into a wye and the vent will go up the wall.

By what you are saying with the pipe going into the wall, is that the trap arm? If so, the trap arm goes into the santee and then the vent through the top and the drain through the bottom. Remember the trap is connected to the tub by means of the waste and overflow. The new drain will be the shower drain that drains right into the trap and the trap will be connected to the 2" santee, then to the 2" drain

good luck and please post some pics, it would help out a great deal.
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-17-2007, 11:28 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

here is a bath to shower conversion. The old tub had a ceramic tile surround.

Comment

Same thing but a different house.

Comment

They do make shower bases with an end drain so you do not have to move the drain piping as far.You have to change some things but not as much as using a standard center drain
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            They do make shower bases with an end drain so you do not have to move the drain piping as far.You have to change some things but not as much as using a standard center drain
            Like the ones in the pics I posted? Drain on the end?

Comment

Master, were they converted to two inch, or left inch and a half?

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                Master, were they converted to two inch, or left inch and a half?
                Existing 2".

Comment

First and foremost don't install a traditional style shower. Ole Mum needs a ADA compliant shower. If you put in a traditional shower with a four inch curb make sure she likes hospital food. Hip replacement, cracked skulls, compound fractures are just some of the common injuries elderly people get just trying to hop over a four inch curb.

You need a drop in ADA shower component. Here is just one of many companies that make them in the size your talking about.

Sterling Plumbing: Shower Stalls: Baths & Showers: Product Results

Comment

Working...
                  X