X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saniflo macerating toilet system

Any information or experience with this system? I did a search on this forum and it comes up blank. Seems like a great idea to add a toilet and sink in my basement/woodworkshop with minimal expense and trouble. The sanitary lines and fresh water lines are all exposed right in the ceiling - looks like a relatively easy job to add a 1/2 bath. It sounds like a viable system - but I haven't read any pros/cons from anyone who has used this.

Re: saniflo macerating toilet system

Very easy to use and install. I used a maxi-studor AAV and had no problems with venting although the manufactor recommends against it. The installation instructions are very clear. I wholehartedley recommend it.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The hot water heater is right there, so I was thinking into tapping into that vent. Is that OK or a no-no?

Comment

big time no no...Two different principles altogether, and could be very dangerous. Maybe you should seek professional help, and hire a plumber while your at it.
        Last edited by bigPipe09; 10-23-2007, 12:38 AM.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I plan to hire a professional plumber if I do it. i wanted to explore the feasibility first, and be totally knowledgable for when I hire one. hence this forum is great.

The premise was to see if I could put in a 1/2 bath in the basement for minimal cost, by not having to tear up the floor. This looked like the perfect system for me. By the information that I obtained here, I see that there is a catch - there will be a venting problem.

I just learned you can't tie in to the hot water heater vent.

Can you vent out the side of the house (easy)(ceiling of basement is the top of the foundation wall) or do you have to go up from the basement to the roof (probably impossible)?

Comment

Read my post again. The answer is right there to your problem.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

One of the companies I had worked for had a toilet crack from being plumbed hot accidentally.

Comment

[quote=agent511;101470]I plan to hire a professional plumber if I do it.quote]

lol just thought that was was kinda funny, like an oxymoron
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  One of the companies I had worked for had a toilet crack from being plumbed hot accidentally.

I think he was planning on hooking it up to the water heater vent
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I think he was planning on hooking it up to the water heater vent
                    either that or i planned on having a very warm bottom. LOL. Of course, drtyhands, it was the vent, not the water line.

Gear junkie, I saw your note, but you also added that the manufacturer recommends against it (in other words, they say it is a no-no as westcoast puts it). I don't know what a maxi-studor AAV is exactly. Is it a device that allows you to vent up 8 feet then run laterally outside the house? Can you just run a pipe as the vent without the AAV?

Comment

see this is why some home onwers get scared and want to try to do there own plumbing because they are just as good if not better then some plumbers....lol

that was a joke.......... awwww come on now, i thought it was funny lol

ok why am i the only one laughing?....... god i hate when that happens
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by agent511 View Post
                        either that or i planned on having a very warm bottom. LOL. Of course, drtyhands, it was the vent, not the water line.

Gear junkie, I saw your note, but you also added that the manufacturer recommends against it (in other words, they say it is a no-no as westcoast puts it). I don't know what a maxi-studor AAV is exactly. Is it a device that allows you to vent up 8 feet then run laterally outside the house? Can you just run a pipe as the vent without the AAV?

You can vent out the side of the house in some codes, you just need check your local code requirements.

Keep in mind it you take a waste vent out the side of the house, you need to be above the snow level.

A studor vent is a vent that does not need to penetrate the roof line, the only recommendation with those is that you place it high enough above the flood level rim of the fixture is serves so if you get a stoppage you do not clog the unit.

Studor vents are not allowed per code here in los angeles or southern california for that matter.

Here is an example of installation..incorrect install in my book, but call me paranoid, because if you get a stoppage, it will clog the diaphram inside.

http://www.studor.net/products/mini-vent_AU.asp

good luck and please do not hook the vent up to the water heater unless you wanna burn your house down
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 10-30-2007, 11:29 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

thanks westcoast. I'll have to look into our local code. Philadelphia's codes are supposed to be archaic. They don't even allow PVC soil line outside the house - has to be cast iron i believe. I am told that is because it requires two people to install, and PVC is one person, and Phila is a union town. Since I am not a plumber, I don't know much more about that, so I shouldn't hijack my own thread with extraneous comments.

Comment

Working...
                          X