X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided stainless steel water supply lines

Looking for advice concerning water supply lines to dishwashers and ice makers. I have to help my SIL reinstall his dishwasher and install my icemaker. The copper line to the dishwasher is currently corregated flexible copper and needs to be replaced. The line to the ice maker will be a new install. I've seen the braided stainless steel lines mentioned in several threads. They would certainly be easier to run and connect than copper tubing. Are they OK to use or should I run the tubing?

Many thanks in advance for your learned advice.

Re: Braided stainless steel water supply lines

this is what I did. ran braided stainless for the dishwasher (72 inch line i believe) and copper tubing for the icemaker. the tubing was over 25 feet from the angle stock to the back of the icemaker.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Stainless steel braided is is a good product.I use it whenever I can.The threads are compression so if you cannot find a length long enough you can just use a male to male compression union less nuts and ferrules.

If you have reverse osmosis system supplying ice maker you cannot use copper.

Comment

Braided stainless steel supply lines are excellent. I use them for fixtures, ice makers, washing machines and dish washers.

The only thing is that you cannot pass them through walls, but through cabinets are ok.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Keep in mind standard kitchen cleaning supplys will cause a SS supply to fail. Many of the manufacturers are switching to a mylar which looks like SS because of this.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I prefer not to use stainless steel braided (Watts & ProFlo), because I've seen too many burst lines in the past. The SS braids tend to rust in cabinets with household cleansers stored in them. Almost every single customer has an open can of Ajax or Comet under their sink, or an open box of SOS pads. I've noticed where ever the SS line has a loop in it, is where it bursts. The tension from the loop splits the rusted braids on the outer side, then the rubber hose ruptures. Usually you can't see if they are rusting because it's dark in the cabinet and the loops are usually behind the sink.

Because of this I was one of the last Die Hards to use C.P. tubing with the prick head and my tubing bender......I have evolved in the last 2 years,

Now I use BrassCraft Polymer Braided supply lines, which used to be SS braided originally. I feel that it's a better braided line which is more resistant to those under sink chemicals.

For Dishwashers the part #'s are:
            • B1 - 72 DWF -----3/8" compression both ends - 72" long
            • BL3 - 72 DWF ----1/2" compression both ends - 72" long
            For Ice Makers the part #'s are:
            • B0 - 60 IM -----1/4" compression both ends - 60" long
            • These also come in 72, 84, 96, and 120 inches long as well
            If you are gonna install a Bosch dishwasher (easiest to level & plumb by the way), you definitely will need a flexible line.
            I have done it with 3/8" copper tubing and a bender (<----my die hard days,LOL) but it is a ROYAL P.I.A.

Tracy
            sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

out here the maximun length on a ice maker flex connector is 120''/ 10'. the braided 3/8'' dishwasher connectors are fine, but watch out for power connectors/ heating coil electrical studs, under the dishwasher.

as mark stated the chlorine cleaning supplies in a cabinet will eat the stainless braid and cause the plastic hose underneath it to burst.

now same subject, the stainless braided water heater connectors / 3/4'' are terrible. they are now starting to burst at the crimp less than 5 years from time of installation. i've switched back to copper flexes.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

About those copper flexes for HWT's, I've always piped my tanks in with hard copper but been curious abut the flexes, what with the different configurations of different brands of tanks. Any horror stories there?
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

prior to the big northridge quake of 1993, we use to be able to hard pipe heaters and not have to strap them.

since the quake, i now use copper flexes and properly secure all heaters. a 50 gallon heater full of water is close to 600# including the tank. the strap keeps it from falling over, but will not keep it from moving 100%. the flexes give some play without the risk of breaking.

the stainless connectors sounded great when they first came out. now they are a disaster waiting to happen.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Wow! I just learned something!

I didn't know that having cleaners near them will cause braided steel hoses to rust and fail. I thought it was a great thing that my house seems to have them on most of the supply lines to the various sinks, and I installed them myself under a kitchen sink in my last place after the solid copper pipes failed.

I'll have to go inspect them now to ensure all is well.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, wonder how many of us just looked under the sink

Comment

[quote
                        If you are gonna install a Bosch dishwasher (easiest to level & plumb by the way), you definitely will need a flexible line.
                        I have done it with 3/8" copper tubing and a bender (<----my die hard days,LOL) but it is a ROYAL P.I.A.

Tracy[/quote]

Bosch dishwashers are great, I agree with the need for the flexible D/W line, snaking a ridgid copper line throught the middle of that white base sucks

Bosch is a good product especially for the price.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

sunday morning, just had a wake up call from a customer. their water heater was leaking. after talking to her on the phone, i determined it was her hot side braided stainless steel flex connector. i explained toher how to shut off the water and told her i'll be there in the hour.

anyone that has the braided stainlees steel water connectors on their water heaters should check them and replace them. especially if the heater is indoors.

sure i've had copper connectors leak, but not burst like the stainless.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Bosch dishwashers are great, I agree with the need for the flexible D/W line, snaking a ridgid copper line throught the middle of that white base sucks

Bosch is a good product especially for the price.[/quote]

don't forget that the electrical is a pain to get to fit in the channel if it's a stiff flex conduit. electrical cord/whips are a real bonus on these installations.

i actually had a customer swap out a new bosch machine after only 1 month as they felt the top rack was useless for glass cups. sears bought it back.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              don't forget that the electrical is a pain to get to fit in the channel if it's a stiff flex conduit. electrical cord/whips are a real bonus on these installations.

rick.
                              Yes, definitely a pain.

I usually get several strips of masking tape and secure both lines to the floor prior to installation (for Bosch). I think it was 3" from the right hand side for the electrical and 9" from the right for the water supply.

Next I pre-raise the DW at least a 1/4" because that white base is too low to fit over the comp. nut/crimp for the flex and the romex/mc connector for the electrical.

After I slide it in, pull on the lines to loosen the tape and make the connections, I plumb/level it, in which most cases I can raise all the feet to the point where the DW is pressing on the underside of the subtop. It makes for a very secure installation in addition to the 2 securing screws. It also lines up the toe kick better. Gotta hand it to Bosch.

Brand X requires you to either relocate the rear wheels and/or slide shims under them. Who wants to pull out the dishwasher to relocate the wheels?

Sorry for the off Topic, I thought this was the Dishwasher Forum

Tracy
                              sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Working...
                              X