chrome plated copper problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome plated copper problem

Got a problem with chrome plated copper pipe 15mm (1/2").In th U.K. the towel rails are linked into the central heating (radiators heated by hot water heated by a boiler )
    The builder I am working for at the moment wants the pipes coming out the floor to his chrome towel rail to be chrome.The pipe work is run in a mix of copper and pex pressure tested (1st property pressure test with water to 10 bar dropped to 8bar no sign of leaks held 8 bar with no drop for a weekgood 2nd house air test to 10 bar with air over night no pressure drop ) all good so far.
    Came to fit the bathrooms before the tiler started tugged on the chrome tails and one popped straight out in my hand.
    The fittings that are used on pex and polyB in the U.K. ere similar to sharkbite fittings (all different types) tried a few different makes of fittings still had some fittings that did not bite, I don't want to use compression fittings as the joints are under plywood sheet floor under plastic binding layer under electric under-tile heating under tiles (expensive to repair if it leaks)
    Press fit jointing is not widely used here.
    what I want to know is can chrome plated copper be brazed or soldered to a transition fitting in copper or brass(will the heat cause the chrome separate or some other disaster )to then onto the pex?

Re: chrome plated copper problem

If you are working with a long enough piece of chrome tubing you can sand the chrome off and braze an adapter to go to Pex. But the heat may cause discoloration several inches up the tubing. That piece would have to be below the floor before tile is placed.

Comment

Braze up what you need and maybe a couple of extras then send them out to be re-plated

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Had a bit of a brain blockage yesterday.Asking the question and getting some replies cleared that.Got to site today looked at the pipe the inside is not chromed so the lightbulb went on.formed a socket out of the end of the chrome pipe soldered a short piece of copper to it and away I went thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X