Is it ok to patch an ABS drain pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to patch an ABS drain pipe?

Someone drilled a hole into a black (ABS?) drain pipe.

It seems to me that the proper way to fix it would be to cut out that section of pipe and put in a coupler to repair it.

They don't want to cut further into the wall though so they can't get all around the pipe.

I figure... if you take a coupler and cut it in half, you can then bond half of it over the hole like a patch.

Will this hold up over time? Is it stupid for some reason? That yellow ABS glue pretty much melts the plastic together, right?

Re: Is it ok to patch an ABS drain pipe?

i am not a plumber but i need to ask(since this is what i would do.) why not just fill the hole with epoxy and take a fernco the same size cut it so you can wrap the pipe and install the two clamps.

AGAIN, I AM NOT A PLUMBER

and i am asking a question along with wild weasles i am not saying to fix it this way.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I thought of just filling the hole, but figured that if there's a chance that whatever you fill it with might intrude into the drain and cause things to catch on it, you might just be setting yourself up for a clog in the future.

Since this will presumably be sealed up inside a wall, I wouldn't have suggested using something clamped on, but the pros here might feel otherwise.

Comment

the hole i take it is only on the front side

this is a very common problem during construction.

a hose clamp with a piece of rubber will probably last a life time. a no hub band can be installed typically pretty easy from a 6'' x 6'' drywall cut out.

don't tell anyone a trick i learned during my construction days way back
        this is a last resort if you don't want to open anymore wall up.

mix up some black abs glue with some styrofoam from a cup and turn it into a thick gel/ goo. force it into the hole and let it dry. test it prior to closing the wall.

i know others will rag me for this suggestion, but i also know they will try it too

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Is there anything actually wrong with my suggestion of half a coupler glued on or is it just more complicated than it needs to be?

The hose clamp and piece of rubber sounds like the easiest of all.

Comment

To bad you cannot cut the pipe through the little hole and slide on a no hub band and torque it down, this would be the best way.

I have used ricks idea, it works, I just think nothing is better then making the correct repair

Wall or no wall, that shouldn't stop a job from being completed correctly.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
            X