Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat question

Hi there,

I have digital programmable thermostat. It is a Honeywell Chronotherm III. My oil burn was shutdown since summer. Last Friday we turned on and tested, verything worked. Then we turnned off the power because the temperature is not so bad. Sunday morning, we found the thermostat stop working because the display was not right and no date, time and temperature were displayed and tried to set new programs but it was not working. Went to ACE and changed the battery, the same. Called the oil company, a technician came to my house to look at it. He told me I have to keep the power on to make the thermostat work (display date, time, temperature and program settings).

I am not sure he is right or not. I think without any connection with actual burner system, the thermostat should still can display the current date, time and temperature correctly. And it should still can show those programmed programs if required. That is why the thermostat still shows us correct information during the summer. Does anybody can give me the right answer to this (i.e. I am right or not)?

After half hours effort, he also agreed the thermostat was bad.

thanks,

Re: thermostat question

The battery is to keep the memory alive regardless of if there is 24 Volts AC being supplied by the control transformer. You might want to take the new and old battery to someone that's into electronics and have them tested. Don't trust the battery testers (if they have any) at hardware stores. I'm thinking there's a remote chance the new battery is bad. Also clean the contacts of the thermostat and the battery. A pencil eraser or some very fine sand paper work good for this. Then try it again and look for anything on the display.
    Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
      Hi there,

I have digital programmable thermostat. It is a Honeywell Chronotherm III.Worst Thermostat they ever made, hands down! My oil burn was shutdown since summer. Last Friday we turned on and tested, verything worked. Then we turnned off the power because the temperature is not so bad. Sunday morning, we found the thermostat stop working because the display was not right and no date, time and temperature were displayed and tried to set new programs but it was not working. Went to ACE and changed the battery, the same. Called the oil company, a technician came to my house to look at it. He told me I have to keep the power on to make the thermostat work Lies or complete incompetence(display date, time, temperature and program settings).

I am not sure he is right or not. I think without any connection with actual burner system, the thermostat should still can display the current date, time and temperature correctly. And it should still can show those programmed programs if required. That is why the thermostat still shows us correct information during the summer. Does anybody can give me the right answer to this (i.e. I am right or not)? Woussko is usually right and he is here as well. Will hold program in memory as long as batteries are fresh.

After half hours effort, he also agreed the thermostat was bad. Took him a half hour to determine that?...yep..incompetence

thanks,

Drive yourself back to ACE and grab a Honeywell FocusPro or better yet a VisionPro thermostat.

Comment

I agree with Plumberscrack about changing to a better thermostat. With it getting pretty cold up your way at night, you most likely may want to pickup a simple manual thermostat like a T87F series and get some heat quickly. I would call in a good HVAC tech to help install it if you're not into doing such. Any thermostat must be properly matched up and connected or it's disaster time.

As to my being correct most of the time, well that's debatable, but thanks PC. I try but being an old dog sometimes the old thinker just won't work right for me anymore.

Comment

I shouldn't it was died. It was actually malfunction, I think, because there were something displayed on the screen but only partially. When it works, there are two lines on the screen. First line is current date, time and current temperature, and the second line is the program currently running. At that time, only the second line shown up.

If battery is bad, the display screen should be empty. I am right?

The funny thing is it works sometimes since then. I will replace it asap.

We are thinking about buy a pellet stove. Some pellet stoves have thermostat control. I don't know if one thermostat can control two heating system: pellet stove and oil heating system? It is not necessary to have those two systems work in the same time. I am thinking about minimize the thermostat to have one controls two system without rewiring each time.

thanks,

Comment

1.You better have a T-stat for each of them.

2. I bet you soon hate the pellet stove with the fine ash mess and having to feed it all the time. (The Big ACE home center not too far from me sells pellet heating stoves and they get all kinds of funny customer feedback on them. They do make ashes that need to be dealt with properly.) If you have a good gas or oil boiler or furnace now, I would stick with it. You might use the pellet stove as a booster, but watch out for the cost of pellets. They aren't made to burn trash and scrap wood.

3. If the battery is weak but not all the way run down, then strange things happen. and they may come and go. It does seem like your current thermostat is bad and the one you have really isn't that good, so I along with PC recommend replacing it soon.

Question: What are you currently doing/using for some heat there?
            Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              1.You better have a T-stat for each of them.
              Yes, sir. I will do this even I don't like too many boxes on a wall.

2. I bet you soon hate the pellet stove with the fine ash mess and having to feed it all the time. (The Big ACE home center not too far from me sells pellet heating stoves and they get all kinds of funny customer feedback on them. They do make ashes that need to be dealt with properly.) If you have a good gas or oil boiler or furnace now, I would stick with it. You might use the pellet stove as a booster, but watch out for the cost of pellets. They aren't made to burn trash and scrap wood.
              Searched online and seems most of people like it to save heating bill. And most of them told us the ash mess is not really a big issue. We do worry about the pellet price. I am sure it will go up if most people use it. But we can use corn pellet also. It may be helpful in terms of price.

3. If the battery is weak but not all the way run down, then strange things happen. and they may come and go. It does seem like your current thermostat is bad and the one you have really isn't that good, so I along with PC recommend replacing it soon.
              That thermostat also control my centrol air. My oil company's service plan include the standard thermostat, i.e. manual one. Do you know a manual thermostat can control both heating and cooling system? manual is good or digital programmable is good?

Question: What are you currently doing/using for some heat there?
              Our house is a ranch, T shape or L shape, 1600sqf, 2 bedroom, with a big living room and family room. we have two fireplaces (basement and first floor) and two wood stoves (basement and first floor). Right now we use wood stove few times and water heating few times in the morning and at night. We have solar-electrical for hot water.

We are first time home owner. We are really worry about the heating bill because the oil price is up and up. And my wife's colleagues gave her many good feedback about the pellet stove from their experience.

Comment

There are good manual thremostats that when equiped with the proper sub-base will work fine for heating and AC. The Honeywell T87F series come to mind. I'm an old grunt and like to be in control myself, but a good many people do save energy with a programable model that changes based on the time of day and what day of the week it is. I think you would be wise to call in a good HVAC contractor and get some ideas. Also, be sure to check for leaks around doors and windows. You may as well do what you can to lower heat losses. The proper selection and installation of thermostats really should only be done by a good HVAC tech. They need to match your equipment well. Most good ones can be adjusted as necessary but it takes having some test instruments that a DIY would not wish to pay for.

Comment

Working...
                X