X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood burning stove

I wonder if you can help me, I have a Morso squirrel multifuel wood burning stove to which a back boiler can be added.
    What I was wondering is, could I connect the output and return from this boiler directly into my existing radiator heating system (I have a Combi condensing boiler) almost using it like another radiator in the system. In theory (in my head) I can't see any reason why this could not be done.
    But no doubt you will know different

Thank you in anticipation

Regards Dave

Re: Wood burning stove

http://www.woodheat.org/dhw/dhw.htm

http://hearth.com/what/woodstovedhw.html

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index...ates/info/864/

I realize that these links are not directly related to your situation, but may give you some insight to the situation.

what does the stove companies recommendation? and how to plumb it safely.

I have been homes who have used wood heat and the cook stove heated the hot water, but at the time I was small and did not study out the plumbing,

I would think having a good temperature and pressure safety valve installed near the boiler and when ever the wood heater was operation that the water would be circulating through the system,

The old wood cook stove domestic water systems I know were set up to "gravity" or thermosyphon loop feed into a storage tank. so there was always a flow in the system.

I think if one would add some type of thermostat on the out going heated water boiler that would turn on the circulator regardless if the system called for heat or not, as show in the URLs, would be a good safety.

the picture is the type of tank Lehmans http://www.lehmans.com/ sells for hooking up wood cook stoves to make or to use with domestic hot water systems,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 11-03-2007, 10:57 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

Thank you for your prompt reply, and the links. I think in my naivete, I was looking for something a little bit simpler, using the existing system. But alas, it seems it is not that straightforward.
      I did have a quote for a stand-alone system with two radiators, but the quote was for nearly £3000, which I thought was a bit over the top.
      Any other suggestions?

Regards Dave

Comment

I don"t know why you could not add it into the loop, but I would think you would want to make sure there is a T&P safety valve near wood stove coil/boiler, and I think you would want some type of thermostat on it as well that would kick on the circulator pump of the hot water heating system, (unless your circulator pump runs continuously), in case the heating system is not running circulating the "water" in the hot water heating system.

The draw back of the proposed system is that I see,
        Is if the wood stove is not operating, and the HW system is running heating the water, the water circulating through the wood boiler coil will be now heated and the heat will be lost into the inside of the cold wood stove and up the flue.

What you don't want is to trap water inside the coil/boiler of the wood stove and not let it have a place to go, and to heat it to the point that "steam" (actually super heated water with explosive forces) and excessive pressures are created,
        so you will need to have a system that keeps the water/fluid moving, and if for some reason if the movement fails, there is some type of safety system that will release either or both the heat and/or pressure that could be created if for some reason the water/fluids are not permitted to be circulated and replaced with cooler liquids in the coil/boiler of the wood stove.

There was on the Watt site, http://www.watts.com/ a old film that was done by them showing the dangers of over heated hot water tanks/heaters, and was very impressive. but I was unable to locate it. there is danger in a system like your discussing especially if the proper safety precautions are not designed into it.
        Last edited by BHD; 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
        X