X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8IN sewer line testing

Question for you guys that install the big stuff.....I got a call today that a company testing 8in sanitary sewer lines got their mandrill stuck in the line...It is a metal one...Ive seen people use string and plastic bottle to check the lines but never a metal one...Fortunately it is stuck 15 Ft away from the discharge end of the manhole.... Im thinking of using a ton of dishsoap and a sectional to try and dislodge the mandrill...The pipe is PVC

Anyone ever run into this problem??? I would love to hear some suggestions, or success stories

Thanks,
    Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Re: 8IN sewer line testing

greg, can you run the camera from the manhole up to the 15' mark and see the problem? it could be a damaged pipe or joint?

take pictures of your find. it could be worth a trip to ridgid and $2500.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick

Yes i can see it where it is stuck...It is not a main that is in service right now....they were testing to make sure the pipe was round i guess...Anyway it looks like it got stuck on nothing, so im guessing the pipe is not round right there...
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

I would think you'd be fine using 1.25 sectional with retrieval tool. Once you have it hooked do not turn any more just pull. Obviously you want to back it out. Is it the last 15' of the test or the first 15'?

Why are they not just digging it up. Running a mandrill is part of the inspection process to test for deflection. If the mandrill wont pass freely the the pipe is deflected/squated too much to pass inspection. No way the inspector is going to pass it unless of course he getting a thick envelope.
        At 15 from a SMH my guess is someone mess up their grades and tried to make up for it in one section of pipe. Or they made a clay check dam to stop the water and never removed the clay when they back filled.
        Last edited by Gene Bickford; 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

They got it out themselves. They used a comealong..... Bummer, wouldve been a good job for me

LOL Gene on the big envelope lolol.. How you doing out there in Maine? Havent talked to you in awhile

Greg

Comment

The idea of running the mandrel is to check for out of round pipe. When it gets stuck you are suppose to dig it up and fix it.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

They are building new house developments around here...The guy called said it got stuck....So i went out to check it out...and by the time i got there, they removed it...They did take pictures though....i checked out the pics and left, dont know what they are going to do to now

Comment

Yep,

The will/should dig it up, its pretty obvious to me that the squished it a little and its not round anymore

Comment

Working...
                X