X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Kohler toilet

Lets see if I can explain this well I have a Kohler toilet Specs from the inside: T9 1.6 GPF
    20561 K4512
    3-1-91 (I think, that's a bit difficult to read)

The situation is when we flush, the tank fills up. But then it keeps filling up over the round thing where water drains (sorry don't know the technical term LOL). It keeps running and the water keeps draining. Eventually the thing stops filling but then water slowly keeps leaking out through the drain and it makes a small hissing sound. I don't know if it keeps filling or what but the water level is still higher than it was previously (as seen by the water marks).

I hope this makes sense. If so, I hope someone will tell me if this can be fixed or if we need to replace something or the whole thing. Obviously it stops when we shut the water to the tank off and the tank stays filled so I don't think it's a issue with the rubber stopper thing.

TIA

Re: Old Kohler toilet

Originally posted by KatMyth View Post
    Lets see if I can explain this well I have a Kohler toilet Specs from the inside: T9 1.6 GPF
    20561 K4512
    3-1-91 (I think, that's a bit difficult to read)

The situation is when we flush, the tank fills up. But then it keeps filling up over the round thing where water drains (sorry don't know the technical term LOL) the overflow tube is part of the flush valve. It keeps running and the water keeps draining. Eventually the thing stops filling but then water slowly keeps leaking out through the drain and it makes a small hissing sound. I don't know if it keeps filling or what but the water level is still higher than it was previously (as seen by the water marks).

I hope this makes sense. If so, I hope someone will tell me if this can be fixed or if we need to replace something or the whole thing. Obviously it stops when we shut the water to the tank off and the tank stays filled so I don't think it's a issue with the rubber stopper thing.

TIA
    you have an older 1.6 gallon per flush toilet. these first came out in 1990.

the problem is your fill valve/ ballcock. a simple fluidmaster 400a will take care of it. the 400a adjusted all the way to the longest position will be correct. it doesn't pay to get the fluidmaster kohler one as the 1'' longer base and quite design is a joke.

as far as the rubber flapper goes, you need to get the proper low flow kohler flapper or it will double/ triple flush. a simple test is to put food dye into the tank after it is flushed and the flapper is closed. if the food dye ends up in the bowl without flushing, you have a flapper leak, or a running ballcock. also make sure you cut the refill hose from the ballcock to the proper length and attach it to the top of the overflow pipe. this is a very common reason why the toilet siphons water from the tank. i see it all the time on installations done by handymen.

truthfully the older kohler low flows don't flush near a good as a newer low flow. 17 years of engineering has produced a much better flush. so if you want to replace and upgrade, now is the time. or a $7.00 fix will put you back in business.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Old Kohler toilet

Thanks, Rick! As much as I'd love to replace the whole thing, not right now! So we'll do the cheap fix. I appreciate it and will let you know if I accomplish this or not

Comment

Working...
      X