Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing a thermostatic valve and volume controls

Hello,
    Can anyone tell me if a 3/4 thermostatic valve is the correct choice (vs the 1/2 model) when used with both a shower head and a hand held shower unit? Each shower head will be controlled by volume control. Not sure about whether to use 1/2 or 3/4 inch for the volume controls. The hot and cold water feeds are 1/2 inch. My water pressure is 50 PSI with a flow rate of 7 GPM. If I was to use the 3/4 inch parts should the piping be 3/4 inch or reduced to 1/2 between the thermostatic valve and the volume controls and the volume controls to the shower heads?
    I contacted the Manufacturer, Grohe, and all they said was that with 2 outlets I could use either.
    Thanks
    Steve Odian

Re: Sizing a thermostatic valve and volume controls

the 3/4'' is a much more expensive valve.

if the restrictors are removed from the heads, then you will see an advantage on the 3/4''.

otherwise, a 1/2'' valve is plenty for the 2 heads.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by sodian View Post
      Hello,
      Can anyone tell me if a 3/4 thermostatic valve is the correct choice (vs the 1/2 model) when used with both a shower head and a hand held shower unit? Each shower head will be controlled by volume control. Not sure about whether to use 1/2 or 3/4 inch for the volume controls. The hot and cold water feeds are 1/2 inch. My water pressure is 50 PSI with a flow rate of 7 GPM. If I was to use the 3/4 inch parts should the piping be 3/4 inch or reduced to 1/2 between the thermostatic valve and the volume controls and the volume controls to the shower heads?
      I contacted the Manufacturer, Grohe, and all they said was that with 2 outlets I could use either.
      Thanks
      Steve Odian
      What are the chances that both the fixed head and the hand held will be used at the same time? If the shower is only big enough for one person then chances are only 1 will be used at a time so 1/2" would be plenty.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate the help.
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X