Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a water softener need to be plugged in at all times?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a water softener need to be plugged in at all times?

The reason I ask is....

My water softener drains through an exterior wall right out onto the ground. I'm going to have trouble this winter when the drain tube is frozen and my softener recharges and floods everything.

I was thinking I would unplug it and just manually recharge it once or twice a week. Will the softener still do its job on a day to day basis w/o being plugged in? From what I understand, to put it simply, a softener is basically a "filter" and would only need power when its time to recharge the "beads".

I can set the time it will recharge, but it automatically selects the day.

GE Smart Water GSXF39E

Thanks
    -CJ

Re: Does a water softener need to be plugged in at all times?

Originally posted by cjet909 View Post
    My water softener drains through an exterior wall right out onto the ground.
    Why not just fix the botched installation and have the softner discharge into the sanitary sewer like it's supposed to?
    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Hmmmm... helpful.

Just kidding - I rent this place, and the closest drain is about 30 feet away from the softener. Also, we're in a single story home built on a slab, so it's just not practical for me to fix.

Comment

Needs to be kept plugged in at all times, and get the discharge line piped to a drain.,It might freeze if it gets really cold.

Comment

Originally posted by cjet909 View Post
          Hmmmm... helpful.

Just kidding - I rent this place, and the closest drain is about 30 feet away from the softener. Also, we're in a single story home built on a slab, so it's just not practical for me to fix.
          If you rent the place isn't it the owner's responsibility to have a plumbing system that works? Or is it that you are trying to make your botched rough-in work? I would follow Hondahead's advice, or remove the softener and tie the two water lines back together.
          the dog

Comment

Working...
          X