X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this even safe?

One of my Navy coworkers recently did an addition to his house and relocated his water heater. He got a State power vent. His plumber tied the exhaust flue pipe into his vent stack!! The heater has been running for less than a week. What could happen because of this?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Is this even safe?

That is very very well, not too good. I don't know the actual code but, I know that is against it. Someone here should be able to elaborate.

Comment

I could quote what it says in my codebook, but It doesn't really need to be said. The fact of the matter is that power vented appliances are meant to be direct vented. The draft in a plumbing stack is completely different than that of a power vented appliance, and a P-trap is not suitable protection when dealing with a deadly odorless gas like CO. I've been in highrise buildings where positive pressure from a PLUMBING vent has caused urinal Traps to bubble. I think it could be possible for a power assisted draft to do the same. I'm not an authority on power vented appliances but no plumber should think that this is allowed. A blockage in the plumbing vent could be very dangerous, the flue gas has to go somewhere..
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I have never seen that, but I have run into more then once someone venting the dryer by taking off a 4" sewer clean out cap and hooking the hose up there.

Neither one is a good situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
          I have never seen that, but I have run into more then once someone venting the dryer by taking off a 4" sewer clean out cap and hooking the hose up there.

Neither one is a good situation.

I know which company does that, they are over here in Hawaii too. In fact they are nationwide.

Hack's Plumbing Uncorporated

Tracy
          sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

That's bad too, but so so long as its an electric dryer, its not a safety issue. When i moved into my current house the bathroom exhaust fan was tied into the furnace room combustion air canister.
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Connecting a power vented fixture to a vent stack?!?
              God help the family if any trap weirs leak...sleep well.

Comment

Working...
              X