Need Help w/sump pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help w/sump pump

Hello, If anyone knows about sump pumps I sure could use your help. It is close to midnight so home depot and all those good places are closed. I have a ridgid sp500 1/2 HP submersible sump pump. The switch was going so, I am in the process of replacing it. I have run into a couple problems. First when removing the switch(top part) about half the oil spilled out. I would like to know if I can run the pump with half the oil gone. and also what kind of oil sump pumps use. Second problem: I have put the sump pump back together and have it back down in the crock. The crock is not full enough to raise the float, but I turned it on manually to see if it would run. I don't hear any suction. Can anyone help me with this. I need to get it fixed tonight. It's raining and by early morning the water will be filling the sump pump. Thanks so much!!!

Re: Need Help w/sump pump

Well Home Depot is open.Did they have a new pump for you?Hope you made it through the night without too much damage.

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/Sump%2...mp%20Pumps.pdf

Check the manual out. I didn't see what kind of oil it use in the manual. Maybe you can contact a supply house and see what kind of oil they sell for this application. Chances are is that ridgid doesn't use a proprietary oil just for their pump. Best of luck.

Adam, can you call it or what?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Maybe this person just needs to suck it up and call a plumber.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I would replace the pump, to have a non-qualified person open up a switch cover or any other part of the pump, it is dangerous to break the seal, remember, everything can be very easily submerged and if the cover or gasket isn't back right, with water, might as well stand in a bucket of water and plug yourself in, it can be deadly

It would be better for you at this point in time for you to purchase a new pump and install it. Since you have already touched it, a plumber will not even mess with it due to liability. I know I wouldn't, anything a customer touches needs to be replaced.

I never recommend anyone taking a sump or sewage ejector apart unless they are qualified to do so.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            I would replace the pump, to have a non-qualified person open up a switch cover or any other part of the pump, it is dangerous to break the seal, remember, everything can be very easily submerged and if the cover or gasket isn't back right, with water, might as well stand in a bucket of water and plug yourself in, it can be deadly

It would be better for you at this point in time for you to purchase a new pump and install it. Since you have already touched it, a plumber will not even mess with it due to liability. I know I wouldn't, anything a customer touches needs to be replaced.

I never recommend anyone taking a sump or sewage ejector apart unless they are qualified to do so.
            Great advice. As a homeowner it's common to give "helpful" hints to get someone out of a jam and maybe save them some money, but a Professional has got to give the "Right" advice and what you said could save that guys skin and anyone who works on that unit after him. A few years ago I took a chainsaw into a privately owned business in my town. The owner had the part I needed and to save him time I offered to just take it with me. He insisted he install and reassemble the saw, and test it out. He said in over thirty years of being in business, he has never had a customer get hurt by following this procedure. Gas powered tools are more powerful than most people think and of course water and electricity don't go well together.

Comment

It is important to check your sump pump regularly to make sure that it is in proper working condition.
              • Remove the cover and slowly pour water into the sump tank.
              • Watch for the "float" to rise and trigger the pump.
              • Once the pump is engaged, the water level will quickly lower and the float will shut off the pump.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X