X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain vise

I just needed some help as to how to put the handle onto the vise.. ?? It seems almost impossible

Re: chain vise

First of all I have never taken one apart or needed to rescrew or thread the handle on to the screw of the vice,

But it appears that to make it easier to rethread the handle on to the screw, there is a small pin, (roll pin, about where I drew a green arrow on the picture), the purpose of this is to keep the handle in the vise body or that is what it looks like to me, (note: I have not had one apart, but my guess is there is a grove cut in the "Nut" part of the handle to retain it to the body of the vice, drive out the pin and the handle (guessing) can be easily removed, pull out the screw a inch or so, start the handle, and push the Nut part of the handle back in the body of the vise, and drive the pin back in place.

IF the screw has been forced in to the body it may be a challenge to get the screw out of the body. as it appeared that one would have to force the screw off the nut to unscrew it entirely and keep it in the body of the vise.

This is what it looks like to me, and I hope it helps you get it back together,

here is a parts catalog that shows an exploded view,
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/ACC13C9...ts_Catalog.pdf

go to page 46 and there will be a exploded view, and you can see the individual parts of the vise,

you will need a pdf reader to view the catalog,

If your referring to the handle onto the nut I do not know either, what the correct procedure would be. or the factory procedure, it nearly has to be cast steel instead of cast iron as it looks it would either need to heated or sprung in to place. but I do not know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 11-23-2007, 09:06 PM. Reason: adding the catalog url,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you need more information I would call the customer service. and run the questions by them and see if they can help you out,

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Contact-Us
      For your questions about plumbing and other tools, call
      1-888-743-4333.
      (8:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST Monday - Friday)
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

On the model BC chain vises all you need to do is compress the handle into the nut and the installation Is complete. This is most commonly done by placing the handle in a regular machinist vise holding the new handle at the ears if you will. Place your swivel nut form the vise on the handle guiding the hande into to the holes of the nut as you tighten the vise down. This will compress the handles and you'll be finished. Removing the swilel nut form the vise may require a bit more work. You will see a small pin just below the flange of the vise. Pound that out with a punch and then unscrew the chain screw. This will make it alot easier in installing the handle but not necessarily a needed step. Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X