X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pump switch or floater?

I am about to replace my second Rigid sump pump - both were less than a year old. My sewage pump burned out in 5 months. Now my main sump pump will not kick on when the tank is half full and fills quickly with my water from the softner. It does however ocasionally work when the tank is empty (I push down on the switch to activate it), but then does not kick back on. It seems silly to replace anything on the pump when I have zero idea of what I am doing. Are there any little "tricks" to see if there is something minor wrong or do I just replace it....AGAIN ????

Re: Sump pump switch or floater?

Unless there was an installation error the sewage pump should have been a warranty issue.

The sump pump should NOT come on when the tank is empty.

Check to be sure the tank is clean and no debris stuck in or around the float.

I wouldn't just arbitrarily replace the pump unless you want the same result.

For those that freely admit they have zero idea what they are doing I highly recommend calling a professional.

Comment

Re: Sump pump switch or floater?

Good point, if you are not aware of what you are doing, then don't touch it.

If you have 2 pumps in the pit, the main one sits lower then the secondary pump.

If you are burning out pumps like you say you have been, a professional needs to check the backwater valve and make sure it is working properly and not causing the pump to cycle more then it normally should.

Another thing to check is the vent hole in the drain, if it is gone, plugged up, it will cause vapor lock and destroy the pump prematurely.

Another thing to check is what you are putting down the sewer, I have pulled out baby bottle nipple cleaners, wires, tampons and everything else someone can fit down a toilet, these objects will get stuck in the pump causing it to work harder and fail right away or fail sooner then it normally would.

The pump should never cycle when the tank is empty, the float should activate when the water hits a certain level. Your secondary sewage ejector should be your emergency pump, a float switch should be wired up on the drain, higher then the first pump and switch.

Do you have any alarms or anything? there would be a switch for these alarms also.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
      X