X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Flushmate?

This past weekend, I stayed at a bed and breakfast and, using the bathroom, they had a toilet with a button on the top.

When you pressed it... WHOOSH!!! I'll be damned if it wasn't the coolest flushing toilet I've ever seen in a residential setting!

Of course, I had to open the tank and see how it worked, and there appeared to be a beer keg fed by the water supply with a button on the top to let 'er rip. I looked around for a plug and there didn't seem to be any power supply.

I just did a little research and it seems to have been one of these Flushmate things.

http://www.flushmate.com/

I'm just wondering what the going opinion among plumbers is on these things. Seeing it work, it seemed to me that clogs would be a thing of the past!

Of course, if it DID clog... I could only imagine the mess it might make if you pressed the button and all that power shot into a plugged drain.

So what's the deal? Are these as good as it seemed, or a disaster waiting to happen?

Re: What do you think of Flushmate?

Good design for a commercial application that doesn't have a 1" line for the conventional Flushometer type toilet.
    The cartridge is fairly cheap too at $30 I think.
    For a home? Forget it. To me, it's too noisy. Can you imagine using the toilet at 2 AM in the morning? You'll wake up the neighbors too.LOL

I just put a Kohler model in a few weeks back. They changed the design of the Tank-Bowl gasket from their usual hard rubber to a sponge gasket now. I think this is going to cause premature leaking problems later. There is a lot of force at that transfer area to the bowl, when the sponge somewhat breaks down, I think it will blow out. This design change disappointed me with Kohler.

Tracy
    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

When they come up with one that can be adapted to regular tanks, I'll maybe suggest one to a customer.
      I've had requests for them, the usual reasons customer have opted for a regular tank type is because once you get a flushmate, you're stuck with it, regardless if it wakes you up when someone flushes at 3am.

Comment

The cartridge can be a pig to change out sometimes too. I believe the instructions say to use the handle of your channelocks to loosen it but that doesn't work. I had 15 to change out in a parole facility so we ordered the factory plastic wrench and all it did was shear off the tabs on most of the toilets.

WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN REPLACING THESE CARTRIDGES!

Comment

Just put one in thanksgiving morning.Tenant was moving in on friday.They only need a regular 1/2" normal toilet water supply.They work fine.Girlfriends dad just rebuilt his internal parts last month after ten years of service.His only complaint (as a landscaper) was there was a bolt that was hard to get to because of his big hands.

Comment

Sounds like a pressure assist tank???

Regards,

Comment

knock on wood i've got 2 at my house for the last 14 years and never serviced them

never plugged them either

i just replaced a customers 7 year old pressure tank as it had a pin hole leak that lost air after 2 hours. mine still has the steel end caps and top flush button.

now with the better flushing toilets, toto/ caroma/ champion. i don't feel that a pressure assist is needed. 14 years ago yes, today no

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I think the Kohler power assisted toilet is excellent in commerical applications, I believe that they are a bad idea for residential because of the noise.

The cartridges are easy to change and they are fairly maint free and I have seen kohler pressure assited toilets with sloan tanks over 10 years old, still in operation.

I am doing a parks and rec's job in december, I am installing all power assisted toilets.

For an excellent flush, for a gravity toilet, kohler cimarron is an excellent choice.

I know american standard champion was mentioned but that is an absolutley horrible toilet, due to the flush valve design and the fact that parts are hard to come by and the little red gasket fails within a year and leaks.

Kohler cimmaron!!

sigpic

Robert

Comment

Here we go again. In one corner-Rick, In the other corner Robert. The clash of the plumbers.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So I guess these things have been around for ages and people around here just don't have them! I was in Michigan over the weekend (Frankenmuth) and saw the one I mentioned.

I hate the toilets in my house so this thing impressed the hell out of me!

So the only real issue is the noise eh? I guess I can see that being an issue.

So Rick, you're saying the Kohler Cimmaron is just as good?

Reading about this sort of stuff makes me real happy I didn't jump on the big sale HD was having a while back when the gov't was pushing people to switch to the 6L toilets!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      knock on wood i've got 2 at my house for the last 14 years and never serviced them

never plugged them either

i just replaced a customers 7 year old pressure tank as it had a pin hole leak that lost air after 2 hours. mine still has the steel end caps and top flush button.

now with the better flushing toilets, toto/ caroma/ champion. i don't feel that a pressure assist is needed. 14 years ago yes, today no

rick.
                      Rick,

At 14 years old, are yours the original pressure assisted tanks manufactured by Kohler?
                      IIRC, I thought Sloan started to make the Flushmates late '94-'95.

Tracy
                      sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                        Rick,

At 14 years old, are yours the original pressure assisted tanks manufactured by Kohler?
                        IIRC, I thought Sloan started to make the Flushmates late '94-'95.

Tracy
                        american standard toilets. sept. 1992. 15 years old. i was wrong

i stay far far away from kohler when i spec it. too many rocket scientist at kohler and no real life plumbers.

i can write a book about all the kohler defects. 15 years of new construction production work and when it's bad, it's big time bad.

still sitting on 3 cases of kohler 1b1x rialto brass ballcocks to replace the plastic ones. lets not even talk about the flush valves that would overflow when the plastic ballcock cap would break. how about the steel toilet seat bolts that were installed on 1 pc. toilets that rust away and you have to attempt to cut them off without damaging the china. how about the variaty of $300-400 pre 1.6 ballcocks. don't even get me started on flappers

amazing 90% of all new toilets now use an oem fluidmaster ballcock.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X