X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-400 for home use

I have a recurring problem with my main line from the house to the street.
    I know I have a crack or two in the pipe and get a stoppage about twice a year.
    When I rent a snake to clean it out, I am good for about 6 months. When I pull the snake out, all I see are some very small bits of root. About 1/16 inch diameter or less.
    I am getting tired of having to go rent a snake whenever this occures and thought I might buy one.
    Would the K-400 be sufficient for this? Pipe appears to be 4 inch at the cleanout.
    Any suggestions? I would rather not pay over $1000 for a big machine if I can help it.
    Thanks

Re: K-400 for home use

Welcome to the forum...

Wow every 6 months a line is having problems?? My 1st suggestion to you if you havent done so already is to get the line video inspected to see how bad the condition of the pipe is...Without video inspection and going in blind into your sewer as a DIYer, you might be asking for trouble..If you have cracks in your pipe, then you should replace or even reline the pipe...If the cracks are bad enough you could flat out break your pipe while snaking it...If it is a root problem..you will know how bad the root problem is and how much joints you need to concentrate on...If you get the cable caught up in roots and do not have much experience with a cable machine...you might be asking for trouble...My suggestion, do yourself a favor and get the line video inspected 1st...There are alot of great California plumbers and drain cleaners on this forum..im sure one of them could reach out to you

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

The K400 is not strong enough to do a 4" mainline. Hire a plumber and get your line inspected. Chemical root killers are another option but let your onsite plumber make that call.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you need a minimum of a 5/8'' cable to clean a 4'' line with roots. a 1/2'' cable is too small and flexible. if you hit anything you will knot up your cable.

they do rent 5/8'' machines. just be very careful until you have a real feel for the machine and cable.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

wdbarbe ,I'm in san rafael,I've got some good cousins in Southern cal.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hello All I'm just wondering why you say that the k-400 in not for 4" pipe when it clearly says it is here..
            For 1 1/2" to 4" (32-100mm) Drain Lines

From Ridgid
            http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K400-Dra...e/EN/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Spuds_on View Post
              Hello All I'm just wondering why you say that the k-400 in not for 4" pipe when it clearly says it is here..

From Ridgid
              Roots in a 4" line is a lot different than a soft stoppage in a 4" line. The guys who are replying are guys who know from experience what will work. If you feel you would like to buy it anyways be forwarned you may have a problem.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Spuds_on View Post

From Ridgid
                Yeah, and I could kill a bear at 50 yards with a .22 rifle and a well placed shot, but it ain't likely. If Rick and the other guys say the K-400 is not up to handling a 4" line, you can believe its true. Between the top 6 or 8 plumbers on here you are probably looking at 150 years worth of experience, they know of which they speak.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Yeah, and I could kill a bear at 50 yards with a .22 rifle and a well placed shot, but it ain't likely. If Rick and the other guys say the K-400 is not up to handling a 4" line, you can believe its true. Between the top 6 or 8 plumbers on here you are probably looking at 150 years worth of experience, they know of which they speak.
                  i know i'm old, but not that old

a 1/2'' cable is capable of running in a 4'' pipe. but a 1/2'' cable is not a wise choice for roots. the cable will get stuck and the machine will bogg down. sure it's been done before, but even ridgid will advise against this. look at the at the cable choices and see what they are designed for. 5/8'' is the minimun root cable.

i like the fishing story better

if you know you are fishing for sharks, you don't use a trout rod

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

150/7 = ~21.4 years

You've got better than 20 years in don't you? Now add Mark and the Dog (who has been near silent the past couple weeks I might add), and PC and Dunbar and a few others and you are over 150 years easily.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

150/7 = ~21.4 years

You've got better than 20 years in don't you? Now add Mark and the Dog (who has been near silent the past couple weeks I might add), and PC and Dunbar and a few others and you are over 150 years easily.
                      Hey hey hey

Don't lump me in with that motley group

Someone please let the Dog out

Comment

The 1/2 cable will bypass most roots and if this is the size of machine, you have been renting thats why you only pull back small amount of roots,

you need a full size 4" cutter & large size cable to properly clear line

otherwise your puny little 1/2" cable will snarl up
                        and you will be calling a plumber to remove it and
                        clear the drain $$$$$

yes a professional. plumber can use a 1/2" to clear a toilet paper blockadge in a 4" main line but this needs a professional

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I'm still around Bob, I've just been dealing with some health issues.
                          the dog

Comment

listen to the big guys here. I'm new to this site, and started out by checking the K400 features.
                            1/2 inch cable will pull hairlike roots, women's products, and stuff that does not present a "hard" blockage. If there are a lot of roots, several passes may be needed before the line is cleared enought to be able to use wallscrapers.
                            In a 4" line, By the timeI get to the 4" scrapers, I have probably used about 6 different tools. Unless you know your machine well, know what your cable is doing by the feel, and the noise of you drum, you could be in for some nasties.
                            Have a video done, and look at the problem carefully. A good vid will show you exactly the number of feet out where the problem is.
                            Good Luck
                            Poet

Comment

I bought a K380 at first and it is not a good main line machine, I have the 1/2 cable as well, and yes I have pulled out roots with It, I do not advise it, (I nearly was to the point of calling in some one to help remove it), or trying to figure out how to clamp on to the cable and jack or winch it out of the pipe, and finally I got the root broke off.

It is a good in house or soft blockage unit, but not for roots. if there any where near major.
                              for one thing look at the cutters offered, there not 4 inch line cutters or tools.

That is why I bought a K750, then they now tell me I should get the K60 sectional machine, and I can see why in many instances, why having it being able to stop nearly instantly would be a very good thing, as 100' of 3/4" cable is heavy and a lot of spinning momentum,

yes I felt in a way that Ridgid hipped the capabilities of there machine in the K380, yes what they said was true, (like said it can clear a soft blockage in a 4" line), but for most home owners that have a recurring root problem it is not the answer they need,

one needs a larger machine/cable if roots are what your blockage is.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X