Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1/2" Brass Push-On Caps for Copper Pipe?

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    Sorry, the market will always come up with new ideas to make our jobs easier, but really what they are doing is weakening the industry.
    Couldn't the same thing be said about drywall, power tools, quickrete and all other tools used by DIY and professionals alike? I would venture that running galvanzied pipe for water is not for a DIY, to many tools, a lot of math, etc. But does that make galvanized pipe the perfect water line? Of course not. Let's not confuse installation difficulty with material longevity. As long as you're a reputable plumber that does quality work, you will never be out of a job. As long as we stand behind our work, no matter how it's done, is what matters.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That's what I'm talkin' about Gear

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i'll put all the money i have $$$. up against your 3/4'' soldered hot water circulating line with soldered 90's against my propress 90's and we'll see who's 90's last longer with water flowing 24 hours a day 7 days a week. the o-ring is not the item that's going to fail. it's the paper thin copper short radius 90 that will pin hole much faster than a long sweep type k+ propress 90. that's the reason there is a 50 year warranty.

show me any warranty on a soldered system. i could start casing in on all the pin hole pipes and fittings i've scraped. some is as little time as 4 years.

i make it a point to mark every propress joint and shark bite joint with my initials and date. i've yet come back to 1 that has failed.

can't say that about the soldered paper thin fittings and short turn 90's.

why is it that the companies that reline water pipes are doing a booming business doing copper relining? by the way, they no longer will reline gal pipe anymore.

why has the trend gone to propress on t/i work. talk to the companies who sell the product and ask them who is buying propress. everyone from 1 man shops to large scale union shops. in fact 3 years ago i was on a camera job in newport beach in a hotel. the whole hotel was propress.

not saying that if you don't use it, it's wrong. i'm saying that there is nothing wrong with propress, sharkbite or any other fittings that rely on a rubber seal. next you're going to tell me that no hub bands are no good. tell all the fire sprinkler companies that their rubber victaulic fittings are no good. tell that to plumbers that use victaulic on their copper systems. technology changes. some good and some bad. propress has been around in europe since the mid 70's and the usa since 2000. i think we would have heard of issues by now.

i for one have invested heavily in new technology, i wouldn't be spending my hard earned money on junk.

now if you want to talk junk, talk kohler

rick.

OK, did I say anything about ProPress, I think the discussion was on sharkbite fittings, which are JUNK.

Kohler junk, american standard junk, western pottery junk, delta junk, they are all junk. It just depends on ones preferance, and it appears, just because one does not agree with you, they are junk, and the other person is wrong.

ProPress has it's uses, but I would put my money on solder and copper.

There is one company that is lining pipe and they will not sell the patent or the rights to use the system, I checked 2 years ago at the trade show, they boast relining galv and copper.

The ProPress crimps at an astounding amount of pressure, yes the o-ring seals, but the deforming of the copper fitting and tube holds it secure, much better then a sharkbite.

I had a customer who's house was re-piped in propress, the plumber didn't install a regulator, so instead of just adding a regulator like I normally would be able to on a soldered system, I had to cut out the hose bibb, the pro press ball valve, the sprinkler supply and 8" of 3/4 copper so I could solder on a PRV, your so into saving customers money, this was a greater expense to my customer because I couldn't solder near a propress fitting.

Warranty.......good, the company will replace the leaking fitting that caused hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of damage. How many times have you had to use your vehicles warrenty?? We all know about warrenties and that is a weak argument.

You keep putting your name on the sharkbite fittings and the date, that way the lawyer knows who to call.

In 20 years when your retired and moved on, I am gonna be the one cleaning up your mess.

I run my business a certain way, and you run yours a certain way. Just because I or anyone else has an opinion that does not meet your standards or it is not done your way, you get defensive, sorry Rick, your one heck of a good guy, and I respect your knowledge, but it all goes down the toilet when you choose not to have an open mind.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

robert at what point have i told you that if you don't use it, you're wrong. all i'm doing is sticking up for a product. never said you have to use it. all i said is that there is nothing wrong with using it.

check my post and quote me please. you're the one thinking i'm calling you out.

now i will be glad to take your money on a side by side test propress vrs. soldered return line.

i am not worried as to signing my name to any work i do. my customers know me and it's not like they can blame anyone else.

please quote me anywhere i said if you don't use it you're wrong.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

errr, dude, this wasn't even about propress, this was about sharkbite, not propress. And that sharkbite is junk.

You never call anyone out or tell them they are wrong, you just have a way of hinting and cheapening someones ethics and opinions.

No worries and no hard feelings, we are all men here and this is my personal opinion.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Geez why don't you guys get a room?

Mark

BTW: Rick in 50-years you will be dead and gone and no one wants to take Joey's money.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Geez why don't you guys get a room?

Mark

BTW: Rick in 50-years you will be dead and gone and no one wants to take Joey's money.

Agree with you Mark

Their testosterons are out of control....Imagine combining that in 1 room

I can see Robert in a pink babydoll And Rick in a tutu

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                  Agree with you Mark

Their testosterons are out of control....Imagine combining that in 1 room

Help I think I just went blind! If I didn't I want to before they share a room.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    robert at what point have i told you that if you don't use it, you're wrong. all i'm doing is sticking up for a product. never said you have to use it. all i said is that there is nothing wrong with using it.

check my post and quote me please. you're the one thinking i'm calling you out.

now i will be glad to take your money on a side by side test propress vrs. soldered return line.

i am not worried as to signing my name to any work i do. my customers know me and it's not like they can blame anyone else.

please quote me anywhere i said if you don't use it you're wrong.

rick.
                    Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    errr, dude, this wasn't even about propress, this was about sharkbite, not propress. And that sharkbite is junk.

You never call anyone out or tell them they are wrong, you just have a way of hinting and cheapening someones ethics and opinions.

No worries and no hard feelings, we are all men here and this is my personal opinion.
                    OK Guys, let's just take it easy now. I think I'm the one who brought up ProPress in my #15 post.
                    I think the debate is about the lifespan of an O-ring versus a soldered joint, not the lifespan of a "close ruff copper 90" versus a long radius 90.
                    If you are going to do a side by side comparison, I think using soldered Long Radius copper 90's would be an up & up comparison.
                    In my opinion the O-ring will deteriorate from the outside in, not from the inside out. 50 years? What rubber doesn't harden & deteriorate after 50 years?
                    I'd be outta half of my service work if it wasn't for old rubber.

OK, let me have it.

Tracy
                    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                      Are you going by past experience?

Plumbers Gone Wild!

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                        Plumbers Gone Wild!
                        I have this on DVD do you need a copy?

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by yasudaplumbing
                          Plumbers Gone Wild!
                          Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          I have this on DVD do you need a copy?
                          What am I waiting for? Order now! And If I order now.......

I can just see it now, a bunch of Plumbers in baby dolls & tutus on their knees under the sink with their Piggy Bank Slots showing.

Plumbers Gone Wild DVDs, Calendars, Shirts, Posters, etc.

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                          X