Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2" Brass Push-On Caps for Copper Pipe?

Hey all,

I'm setting fixtures at a renovation where the original plumbers bailed back to the mainland, apparently from being homesick.

From what it looks like, to facilitate with demolition, the original angle stops were cut off and these Brass caps were just pushed on to the copper pipe. The outer side of the cap which faces you has a hex shape on it, the inner side is round and inside of it has what appears to be a plastic sleeve with a lip on it (almost similar to those fittings where you push those 1/4" & 3/8" plastic tubing into).
    • What do you call these?
    • How do you take them off?
    • Do you need a tool?
    Thanks,

Tracy
    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Re: 1/2" Brass Push-On Caps for Copper Pipe?

for someone that lives in hawaii, you should know about "sharkbite" fittings. they are made by cash acme.

i like them and they are removable by depressing the plastic sleeve. they make a simple plastic tool in the shape of a "c" to help with depressing the plastic ring. a crescent wrench or 5/8'' open end wrench will also work.

look up past threads or google the cash acme site.

if you need a hand, i need another vacation

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      for someone that lives in hawaii, you should know about "sharkbite" fittings. they are made by cash acme.
      Is that because we have a lot of sharks here, who takes a chunk outta someone every now and then?
      look up past threads or google the cash acme site.

if you need a hand, i need another vacation

rick.
      Yes, I have seen the threads on "sharkbite" fittings, but have never really paid attention to them because I've never seen those fittings at our supply houses.

Should I need an extra hand, do I have to bring donuts too?

Thanks Rick,

Tracy

Comment

no just a good pineapple will do.

rick.

what supply houses do you use?

home depot stocks a good supply of sharkbite.
        phoebe it is

Comment

We got the usual Home Depot & Lowes.

The only time I get plumbing stuff from Home Depot is when I need to get your favorite Kohler Toilet.
          Ferguson can't compete with their Kohler toilet prices, the public can get them cheaper at HD than we can at Ferguson!

I usually go to:
          • Ferguson
          • Mutual Plumbing Supply (Local Family owned -stocks rough in, finish, and repair materials)
          • Plumbing Parts & Supply (Local Family owned - specializes mainly in repair parts, off brand stuff too , Crane/Repcal, etc.)
          • Hawaii Trading (Local Mom & Pops store with lotsa repair stuff too) I also get my Ridgid stuff from these guys too because they can order direct instead of having to go through the local Rep. They must be Great Grandfathered in the system or something.
          Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
            Ferguson can't compete with their Kohler toilet prices, the public can get them cheaper at HD than we can at Ferguson!
            Is Eagle Hardware still open? I think it was next to Sports Authority at Waikele Center.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Is Eagle Hardware still open? I think it was next to Sports Authority at Waikele Center.
              Lowes bought out Eagle Hardware.

There will be another Lowes coming up about a block away from Home Depot down on Nimitz Hwy. Hopefully next year.

Tracy

Comment

Sharkbite fittings are just about as bad as those plastic push on fittings and angle stops.

What ever happened to a stub out or solder on a cap??

All those shark bite fittings are gonna leak in the future and I will be there to repair the leaks, cause the plumber installing them just lost their customer because of their lazyness.....oh yeah, and because of the flood or leak
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

It's only a during constuction cap.Maybe the plumber did not want to run around with a torch after flushing or he sent his helper to flush it out and did not trust his soldering.For me,I think they are too expensive for stub-outs.Maybe,and now that I think about it YAS wanted to take them off.Why couldn't he cut them.They may have been cut to length then use the tool to remove and install the angle stop.One cut in the rough.

Not my way but who knows,I can't for the life of me figure out why people impede traffic in the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    Sharkbite fittings are just about as bad as those plastic push on fittings and angle stops.

What ever happened to a stub out or solder on a cap??

All those shark bite fittings are gonna leak in the future and I will be there to repair the leaks, cause the plumber installing them just lost their customer because of their lazyness.....oh yeah, and because of the flood or leak
                    Sheesh Holmes your kinda cocky tonight.Why don't you take a drive up to Uncle Adam's for a slice of Good'ole humble pie

Comment

in the old days we use to have paper thin temporary copper caps that were only designed for testing. these were only approx. 1/4'' deep shoulders for the solder.

i do like the idea of a temporary shark bite cap. this would be a reusable cap for construction and removed during finish.

nothing like having a bullet stub out too short or a soldered on cap too short. at least with the shark bite you can salvage a 1/2'' of clean round tubing.

granted the caps are a few dollars each. but when was the last time you priced out type "L" bullets. the cost of a 1/2'' x 6'' or 8'' bullet will make you think twice about using cut offs with a shark cap.

just like we reuse gal cap ups for gas lines and waste stubs, we can reuse shark bites for testing.

just about every water filter system and reverse osmosis unit uses a form of a shark bite/ john guess fitting. these are plastic and i've never seen one pull off.

then there is the mechanical fittings used on hdpe gas pipe. these are basically a shark bite type of design that is not designed to be removed.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Man I knew I liked you for some reason. I say the same thing to my plumber all the time and he just looks at me like I`m crazzzzzy. I dont like Pro-Press either
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

in the old days we use to have paper thin temporary copper caps that were only designed for testing. these were only approx. 1/4'' deep shoulders for the solder.

i do like the idea of a temporary shark bite cap. this would be a reusable cap for construction and removed during finish. Thats great if your the one going back to set finish, at approx $5.00 each, I see no value in this.

nothing like having a bullet stub out too short or a soldered on cap too short. at least with the shark bite you can salvage a 1/2'' of clean round tubing. If you stub out to short, you have no business roughing something in, it is just as important as height

granted the caps are a few dollars each. but when was the last time you priced out type "L" bullets. the cost of a 1/2'' x 6'' or 8'' bullet will make you think twice about using cut offs with a shark cap. Bullets save you the cost of a 90, a cap and a section of pipe, and the labor to solder on the cap and cut and ream the 90 and section of pipe.

just like we reuse gal cap ups for gas lines and waste stubs, we can reuse shark bites for testing. After you remove and re-install that sharkbite a few times, do you still feel confident your not going to leak or it's going to blow off? How many times can you re-use the same cap without messing up th o-ring or the teeth??

just about every water filter system and reverse osmosis unit uses a form of a shark bite/ john guess fitting. these are plastic and i've never seen one pull off. Thats interesting, cause I hear problems with john guess fittings all the time and I have witnessed one leak and one completely fail

then there is the mechanical fittings used on hdpe gas pipe. these are basically a shark bite type of design that is not designed to be removed.
                          You must be talking about chemical or acid waste pipe, keep in mind this pipe is not under pressure.

rick.

Sorry, didn't mean to make your post bleed like a "F" paper in high school, but you did make points and I just needed to add my 2 cents
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

There's somewhere, somewhere on Cash Acme's site that if you use the removal tool to pull that fitting back off.....

voids the warranty of the product from failure.

It's a one-time use fitting and repeated uses tempers the stainless spider clip, loses its flex to grab the pipe it's using the outside edges to grab and hold.

I've used less than 10 fingers worth of these and I will only use them to transition to CPVC in an extreme scenario.

I don't trust glue joints in a home where I can't control how long the water will remain off.

Copper is my tried and true blue.....1/2" solder caps whenever I have to seal a line off. Has to be better than the old days of beating the ends flat and soldering the seam.

I see them beneficial on a emergency call at 3 in the morning when I can't get a line dry I'm cold. <<< wimp
                            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-30-2007, 11:26 PM.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: 1/2&quot; Brass Push-On Caps for Copper Pipe?

I took a look at Fergusons yesterday and saw these so called "Sharkbite" fittings on the bottom shelf below the CPVC fittings.
                              Elkhart Products "Tectite" is the brand they carry.

I guess I'm old school, for liability reasons, I still prefer to remove the angle stop, nut, and ferrule. Then solder a cap on so they can replace the cabinet.

I don't think I will be using ProPress anytime soon either. I just can't see an O-ring outlasting a soldered or brazed joint.

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                              X