X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is huffing PVC bonding agent?

I finished off my shower liner last night. After letting it cure, I should finally be ready for a water test. Just have to find a balloon.

So... I used Oatey X-15 Bonding Adhesive to add the curb corners and put an extension on one end of the liner, as it wasn't quite long enough for my shower.

The directions say to use it in a well ventilated area, so I left the door open to the bathroom and the fan running.

They say to use a NIOSH approved respirator... so I put a dust mask on. This turned out to seem like a bad idea in retrospect.

So I went to work... but put the stuff on the liner and then left the room when the fumes hit me so it could set up for a couple minutes before pressing the pieces together.

All seemed well. I didn't spend much time in the fumes, so I figured it wasn't too big a deal.

The first aid instructions say if it's breathed in, to just move the person to fresh air so I figure it can't be that bad.

Of course, this morning I got up and my lungs seem a bit sore.

Should I be concerned, or do you think it's just a coincidence? Is this stuff really bad for you?

Re: How bad is huffing PVC bonding agent?

Before I comment...How do you feel 6 and a half hours later?

Comment

Lungs don't really hurt anymore but I haven't been feeling terribly well. Might have been just because I didn't eat much all day though.

Mostly back to normal, I guess.

Comment

Glad your feeling better

Comment

The oatey X-15 is some potent stuff. Makes me nauseas after about 10 mins. PVC glue has no effect on me now but that stuff knocks me out too.

Your short term exposure shouldn't have any lasting effects. It only killed the weak braincells to make room for new ones.

Comment

I think you have been standing too close to your X-Ray machine at work Weasel, because they don't put those warnings on the can because they are worried about your health, they put them on there because the government makes them do it against their will. They know the stuff is very bad for you, which is why they don't want to have to disclose on the label the safety precautions. OSHA, the EPA, and state agencies say they must so that you can make informed choices as to the chemicals you use and the PPE required to use them safely.

If you are gonna just ignore the warnings you might as well drink the stuff. These types of adhesives have high VOC levels.

As an example a contractor tried to bring on site today some floor tile adhesive, this contractor is a national supplier of temporary trailers and office spaces. You would know the name if I mentioned it. Anyway, they have been doing business in NJ for many years and should be familiar with the State DEP guidelines and they have also done business with the company I am presently working for over many years and are familiar with our safety and health program at the facility. They tried to bring some floor adhesive on site that is not even allowed to be used in the entire State of NJ, let alone at our facility (any chemicals a contractor brings on site have to be evaluated and entered into our system before they can be brought on site -AND- they MUST BE properly labeled per our procedures which are stricter than the State). They know this as they have been caught before, but they tried it again. My point is you can not trust other people to be looking out for your welfare. So just because a manufacturer writes the warning on the label to sound the least threatening as they can get away with by law, don't assume that the stuff is not that bad for you and a couple whiffs won't hurt you.

OSHA HazCOM FAQ
            http://www.osha.gov/html/faq-hazcom.html
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Your short term exposure shouldn't have any lasting effects. It only killed the weak braincells to make room for new ones.
              uuh, i don't think brain cells really grow back.

short term exposure to most probably won't be a problem, but to a few ANY exposure is way too much.

warning labels are there for a reason..... and not some politician's whim.

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Material Safety Data Sheet for Oatey X-15 Bonding Adhesive
                http://www.oatey.com/usenglish_msds/...r/oth150e5.pdf
                Last edited by Lisa_PA; 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I would be more concerned with the fact you installed that crappy liner for a shower base, rather then doing a great job and hot mopping it.

Your lungs will be fine, but your wallet will hurt when it leaks in the
                  future
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks everyone! Read through that data sheet... so it seems I'm gonna be ok, though I certainly wouldn't want any more exposure to the stuff than absolutely necessary!

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    If you are gonna just ignore the warnings you might as well drink the stuff. These types of adhesives have high VOC levels.
                    Cheers!

I'm generally pretty safety conscious. I just didn't think that it would be as bad as it was and since I don't own a respirator, I didn't go out and buy one for this one time use for a few minutes.

Of course, if I used the stuff regularly, you can be damn sure I'd get one!

And really... I should probably just get one anyway so I've got it around in the future whenever something like this comes up. I'm sure all these "just this once" incidents will add up over the years.

So I seem to be ok... no organ failure... I'm still conscious... but the data sheet does say this...

Symptoms may be delayed.
                    Anyone wanna start a death pool?

Comment

VOC's are bad for the body, period.

Remember that the first generation of plumber's working a full life around plastic piping systems doesn't exist yet.

I feel so sorry for those production plumbers doing row houses and condo flats where they are ALL not wearing breathing protection.

In the end, it's like being in a closed room, somebody keeps coming in and kicking over a can of glue and cleaner every 15 minutes and you can't stop it.

The nasal membranes of a human go numb to strong smells within minutes of exposure. That's why when you've been running plastic all day, everyone that stops in makes that same reactive statement that the smell is so strong, "How do you all work around that stuff all day?"

I don't work with plastic much but I'm always soldering it seems, burning acetylene and tinning flux...................>>>>>#95
                      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-30-2007, 11:17 PM.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I am sure there is alot of bad things out there killing us plumbers right now, they just have not discovered it yet.

and I don't mean the customers either
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          I am sure there is alot of bad things out there killing us plumbers right now, they just have not discovered it yet.

and I don't mean the customers either
                          During my last physical the blood test revealed liver values where through the roof. This was done during a heavy remodeling phase where we had huge amounts of PVC and copper running all day. A battery of follow up tests were done after a 2 week vacation and all came back normal (well, normal for me anyways) Doctor told me to wear gloves when handling glue and flux... DUH! I put a pair on in the morning but by 10 o'clock they are off. I haven't found a pair I can work with all day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Crap. Hurts again this morning. Just when I breathe deeply or burp or something.

Not any worse than yesterday morning, but it still sucks.

Definitely take care to protect yourselves around this sort of crap!

I'm reminded of the mechanics who spend years breathing asbestos from worn brake pads without protecting themselves, even though they've been warned.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              During my last physical the blood test revealed liver values where through the roof. This was done during a heavy remodeling phase where we had huge amounts of PVC and copper running all day. A battery of follow up tests were done after a 2 week vacation and all came back normal (well, normal for me anyways) Doctor told me to wear gloves when handling glue and flux... DUH! I put a pair on in the morning but by 10 o'clock they are off. I haven't found a pair I can work with all day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Costco used to have the best latex gloves around!! Then one day, they stopped selling them.

I get mine from fergusons, the blue ones, yes, they are crap gloves, but at 9.00 a box of 100, it is worth my health to be protected.

There are companies that sell latex that are needle proof and stuff, I forgot the name, but there is one here in california that sell industrial strenght latex, they hard large, hard to work in and sweat stays inside.

Besides, I would hate to get a weird illness and bring it home to my wife, she may thing I was cheating

Get your hep shots too, very important.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X