X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It holds water!!!

I know most of you probably don't care about my lifelong ambition to rebuild a shower in my ensuite, but I've just finished getting a balloon to stay in the drain and have filled it to within an inch of the curb with water.

So far the water is still there.

Woot!!

I also picked up some fibreglass tape for taping up the seams of the denshield. If it's still got water in it tomorrow... then it's time to finish off the walls.

Re: It holds water!!!

Congrats Weasel on your shower project.

I assume it was a PVC liner you put in? Square, rectangle. Neo-Corner?

The trick now will be to keep people off it until you get mortar in the base. So many times after the test, electricians will set his ladder in there to hang a light and puncture it.

To verify it's not leaking we need to see pictures

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Congrats Weasel on your shower project.

I assume it was a PVC liner you put in? Square, rectangle. Neo-Corner?

The trick now will be to keep people off it until you get mortar in the base. So many times after the test, electricians will set his ladder in there to hang a light and puncture it.

To verify it's not leaking we need to see pictures

Very true, and this even happens with hot mops, and what sucks is it is on the plumbers permit, so if it leaks cause someone else broke or cracked it, then it is up to the plumber to get it repaired,

He cannot get his final until it holds water
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Pics are attached. Water is still right at the tape, so I'm probably good.

And a quick question...

I know I'm supposed to use sand mix to make the floor. That's what I used for the pre-slope under the liner.

I know I'm supposed to use mortar mix for the curb, as it's smoother and better able to stick to the vertical surface.

My question is... can I use mortar mix for the floor and the curb so I can just mix up one big batch and finish it off? Or do I have to make the floor with sand mix, let it set, then do the curb with mortar mix?
        Attached Files

Comment

What's with the ankle washer?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            What's with the ankle washer?

we call it a toe tester. not very common, but i've seen it before.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

heh. I actually thought about whether or not to put that there when I started. Seems to me though that there will be times when it might be useful to have the tap there for washing things or whatever.

What I didn't really want was the diverter on the tap, but couldn't find anything to put higher up on the pipe. I actually asked here about whether I could get a diverter for this so it could be at the level of the fixture, rather than at your feet.

The tap has a little thing under it that you pull down to engage the diverter. I figure at least you can use your toes to push it down...

Comment

Is that standard drywall on there?

Tracy
                sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
                  Is that standard drywall on there?

Tracy

Nawww, that can't be, It must be cement board, but I don't know.... he did use that Oatey shower liner stuff from home depot......

Just giving you a hard Wild Weasel, I am sure it will work fine and I am sure that is cement board on the wall
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

heh. The drywall is DensShield, made specifically as a tile backer for showers and other wet locations.

The drywall that was there before was just regular greenboard, I think. Completely disintegrated behind the tile around the curb area.

Of course, the liner didn't even go to the top of the curb, much less over it on the original installation.

Anyone have the answer about the mortar mix for the full shower floor?

Comment

Ah yes, Denshield. Sorry, I missed it in your first post.

As for the cement, at my house, my tile guy used only sand & cement.
                      I'm no tile guy but, this is what Me and my tile guy did at my house:
                      1. I got a sheetmetal guy to come out and custom a copper shower pan. Fastened to the studs with copper nails (above flood rim height)
                      2. Got 15# felt and stapled it to the studs rolling it out in a left to right fashion. Where I overlapped the copper pan a few inches, I ran a bead of heavy duty caulking to prevent any moisture from entering the wall.
                      3. I used Durock (cement board) and ran it all the way into the pan BUT, by using a scrap piece of 1/2" or 5/8" drywall, I kept it from resting on the floor of the copper pan itself. Secured to studs all above flood rim height again.
                      4. Any wall connected to the curb (not perpendicular, but in the same plane), got and additional 1/4" Durock first, before the 1/2" Durock.
                      5. The outside of the curb got 1/2" Durock 1" higher than the curb itself.
                      6. The only areas open are : Top of the curb and inside of the curb.
                      7. Then My tile guy prefloated the floor about 1 in" thick first just to protect the copper pan.
                      8. Tiled all the walls down to the prefloat and down to the top of the curb as well.
                      9. The curb got the sand cement with expanded metal bent in a "L" Shape cut shorter than the doorway as to not touch the copper.
                      10. The inside of the curb gets 3/4" thick cement and meets up flush with the adjoining walls which are already 3/4" thick from Durock.
                      11. The top of the curb starts off at 3/4" thick and rises to your 1" high Durock on the outside. I did mine this way to insure drainage of water back into the shower.
                      12. The floor gets the final sloped float and locks in the wall tiles.
                      13. Tile floor and curb.
                      This is just by watching my tile guy do it. He chose to dump off a load of sand and mix everything by hand with a separate bag of cement. Totally old school and has been doing it for 30+ years. He is actually used to floating the whole wall with sand and cement, those felt paper and chicken wire days. PIA to demo.

Tracy
                      sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Working...
                      X