X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running gas pipe for gas log

On our own home, Slab Eichler. Already Ran gas on roof for Dryer ,gas stove,and Fusion stove in bedroom. Left a tee in line, on roof ,for gas log. Now it's a wood framed chimney box with false brick. would like to run gas inside,away from metalbestos chimney instead down the outside and in. Seems somewhere ,I saw this was not legal. Maybe upc or local.Of course ,if I run pipe exposed and turn in at base ,it's still in cavity at some point !Thanks' Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Running gas pipe for gas log

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    On our own home, Slab Eichler. Already Ran gas on roof for Dryer ,gas stove,and Fusion stove in bedroom. Left a tee in line, on roof ,for gas log. Now it's a wood framed chimney box with false brick. would like to run gas inside,away from metalbestos chimney instead down the outside and in. Seems somewhere ,I saw this was not legal. Maybe upc or local.Of course ,if I run pipe exposed and turn in at base ,it's still in cavity at some point !Thanks' Tool
    I can't imagine why it would be illegal to run your gas line in the framed chimney chase. Is there something unusual about the way it was built?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, It's a 1958 home. Because of expansive soil [ clay ], and poor Found., The original Masonry chimney was removed. A wood frame, brick vineer, Metalbestos chimney was installed.plate Glass comes in on both sides tight. I want to hide Galve pipe coming down from
      roof. Thanks Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Why not run CSST inside chimney chase?

If it's outside sleeve it with painted PVC same as brick.

Comment

Depending on your bricks I've found that Rust-Oleum Rusty Metal Primer comes pretty close to the color of the bricks used on my house and on neighbor's houses. You might try some on a scrap of PVC pipe and once dried see it if would look OK at your place.

Comment

Thanks' All, Will grind out the brick motar in a lower area at base ,where gas valve gets plumbed. After sign off will repair. Don't want to see that galv. pipe out My window for the next 10 years or however The Lord gives Me . Tool

Comment

not a pro here, but is galv. ok for natural gas? I've always used black pipe for natural gas and never been called on it.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Finer,our Gas is very clean . Outside I always run Galvey.

Comment

I always run galv for all my gas. exterior, interior, it looks good, it's clean and won't rust like black pipe.

Never had a problem with flaking or anything clogging the orfices.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I can't even find galv around here longer than a 6" nipple.

Comment

Tool,

There is NOTHING illegal about running your gas line in the chase.

Mark
                      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-02-2007, 11:59 PM.
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks Mark,I needed to hear this!

Comment

A city bylaw prevents us from using galv on Natural gas. We use black and must paint it if its exposed to the elements.
                          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

This is running across My roof. Galvy is fine with inspectors here. Inside with black iron I always use galvy fittings. Don't want to risk a sand hole leak. Quality isn't what it was when
                            they were made in the USA by our Grand Dads. The Guys and Gals that saved The world for us !

Comment

Working...
                            X