Venting Condensation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting Condensation

Has anyone ran into a problem with Condensation on the outside of PVC Pipe that is placed between walls of a house and the condensation coming through the drywall. I am at my wits end in knowing how to fix this.....HELP!!!!!!!!

Re: Venting Condensation

I think to better help you we need to know what the PVC pipe is for.

Is it a water or sewer line serving a bathroom above?

An exhaust pipe for a power vented gas appliance in the basmement?

Are you sure it's condensation and not a leak?

Oh and welcome to the Forum neighbor

Comment

It is a vent pipe that runs from the bathroom sink, through an insulated, interior wall to the attic where it T's into the toilet vent pipe throught the roof.

Comment

I can't say that I have ever seen a sink vent condensate so much to damage drywall. Not to say it couldn't happen but not inside an insulated interior wall.

The PVC pipe may have a small leak on it somewhere and condensation and/or rainwater from inside the pipe is leaking down.

Another scenario is the copper water pipe has a pin hole leak spraying water towards the PVC.

Comment

going back up to the attic to look at it again!

Comment

I had the problem that PC is talking about. When it would rain I would get a leak on the bottom of a tee in my vent pipe in the attic. I couldn't pull them apart to repair it so I put a bead of J-B Weld around the joint. Waiting for rain to see if its OK.
            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

I went in the attic and it is defnately not leaking up there. It was happening during periods of NO Rain. Water pipes are in the crawl space, so I doubt there is any water pipe issues related.

Comment

I find it hard to visualize it being condensation on an interior wall,as the temperature of the pipe when the fixture is being used is not that great of a difference,especially if it's dry in your attic.When did you first notice this?
                More of a chance on an exterior wall.I have been wrong before.

Comment

First noticed it the second week in November. Here is a coincidence.....The week prior the whole heating system of the house was replaced. Up till them we hadn't had heat in the house, and only lived in the house since last May. So this is out first heating season in this house. I pulled away the drywall to find this PVC Vent pipe. There is no water on either sides of that interior wall. I can literally still see drops of water running down the outside of the pipe

Comment

better check and see what the vent from your new heater is tied in to.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

NOW we are getting somewhere

If the heating contractor tied the exhaust into the existing plumbing vent that's big trouble.

What type of heating system do you have? forced air or radiators?

It could be that there is a leaking duct in the wall nearby and the humidifier is adding too much water to the air.

Any other coincidences?

Posting a few pictures of this pipe might help

Comment

The files are just to big according tot he site here, sorry

Comment

Okay, Here is an interesting turn of evnts. Today it s raining outside. I turned on the gas stove in the family room and the heat pump hasn't been running becuase the Gas stove does plenty of heat. In the past few hours the gas stove has been on and the heat pump off.....there hasn't been any dripping down the PVC pipe in the wall. I have now turnrd off the Gas stove and am waiting to see if the drips start again after the heat pump kicks back on......Keep you posted.

Comment

That must be one big pvc pipe to handle a furnace and a stove.I know they have F.A.U.'s going through 4".Haven't seen any stoves yet.So the stove vent is connected to the same as the heater?

That's not even close code compliant to anything I've seen.

Comment

NO, It is a free standing propane gas stove...

Comment

Working...
                              X