X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gobby
    started a topic hydronic radiant heating problem

hydronic radiant heating problem

This is a 3 story apartment building. I have one resident on the second floor without any heat coming from the hot water baseboard heater.

I have changed the thermostat, zone valve, zone vale motor, bleed off the air at the vent in all 3 suites down stream of this line.

This suite is the first suite on that particular floor.

The pipe is hot just before the shut off valve going into the suite and hot after the valve leaving the suite.

I have run into air locks before in this building on the upper floors and usually had success bleeding it off but there is no air in this line. I must have drained out 4 gallons .

Any idias ??

• gobby
    replied
    Re: hydronic radiant heating problem

Thx for the tips pipes! salt was also used as well. The first pic shows a white container on the right and it is 1/3 filled of salt and didn't work on the large 3/4 pipe lol

Perhaps I didn’t pour it in the right way

Any how thx for the tips Pipes your a master plumber!!

Leave a comment:

• PIPES
    replied

Good for you gobby, glad to hear you got it fixed.

Yes , the same kitec but different fittings.

As far as sticking things in my back pocket , not so much.
    You tried salt right? Try doing right next time. I have thawed 60' well lines that were frozen for two days by using the brine trick.
    I also have an old wall paper steamer that builds 12 psi of pressure with a 25' coil of 1/8 tubing , I used this trick to thaw 3/4 pex lines from the basement up, messy but works.
    Not to mention 5 different fan forced propane heaters to play with.
    I live in New England, I am no stranger to frozen pipes.

What you seem to forget is, you can type words all day and night and we cannot see the whole picture, You are there we are not. We have no idea of what your resources or knowledge are.

Again I am happy to see you resolved your issue, good job.

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

Ended up blasting hot water through the pipe and collected the excess water with a shop vac 5 mintutes top!

Put that in your back pocket Plumbers lol

P.s is this The same kitec I was working on?

http://plumbingdefectnm.com/

Leave a comment:

• PIPES
    replied

That is not cpvc !! It's Kitec Pex -aluminum - Pex

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

Here are a few pics.

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

The whole building is done in cpvc.
    Just where it dropes down under the floor anyhow.

Not sure why they would have done that?Building is seven years old.Going to have another crack at it tomrow but dont feel good about beeing able to find that exposed platic pipe.

When I cut through the ceiling I could feel a draft coming through??Something else to reserch on.

Thx for the advice hawk

Temp here was - 41 last 7 days
    Last edited by gobby; 12-10-2007, 09:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

i cant believe that they used cpvc pipe for heating

can you post some pictures .I'm not sure about keeping the cpvc pipe in there .
    if you can get to the pipe use a hair dryer to heat up around the pipe ,but you will have to get to the pipe the replace it with copper and insulate it and find where the cold air is coming in .

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

Well turns out the water is frozen in the pipe underneath the floor. Its 3/4 copper pipe dropping down then turns into cpvc.

I tried a coat hanger to jam the ice out dropped salt in the line and put a compressor with 30 pounds in hopes of blowing the ice out and no go.

Then went to the floor below to cut the ceiling out. Cut out the drywall then with my luck there is a structural beam just above that. Cut a few more holes and I still cant locate this pipe ??

With this being on an outside wall would the original installers run this plastic pipe a different route??

Any tricks to getting this 5 foot piece of pipe thawed??

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

1 is each apartment on its own zone or zone valve .ok i looked back it is zone valves ,does the pipe get hot 3ft away frome the valve when it opens

2 how is it piped ,comes up through the floor and goes up and down for each room

3 does each apartment zone come off a main with one supply and return .

4 try to give us a rundown on the system ,pictures also work well .
    Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

I don’t have any balancing valves on the system but did notice one of the 2 recirc pumps leaking water from the mechanical seal?

Once again only the one apartment with this problem. I will try the saddle tomorrow morning. Once again thx for you help.

Leave a comment:

• plumberscrack
    replied

If its copper fintube baseboard you can try installing a self piercing saddle valve where the pipe is cold and bleed from there. Have you looked for any balancing valves that may have been readjusted?

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

Any other sujestions?

Leave a comment:

• gobby
    replied

TTT

To

The

Leave a comment:

• drtyhands
    replied

What's up with the ttt? hey your spell check is broken.Idia is spelled Idea.

happy bithday

Leave a comment:

Working...
X