X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never give up your right to be wrong.

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.” Arthur Schopenhauer

I have been a voyeur on this site for sometime, reading your words of wisdom. Thanks to all of you for sharing your priceless wisdom. However, it is time for me to share a few thoughts of my own.

I have discovered that never giving up my right to be wrong is priceless. Plumbing is a humbling occupation and water will prove us wrong more than once during our careers. Water has also proved me wrong in my belief in toilet paper. I thought toilet paper was fine, until I tried a toilet seat bidet. I was amazed on how wrong my opinion was. I was also embarrassed at how many bidet users must have thought I was a blabbering idiot with my arguments; “There is no way water is going to spray up my butt.” “I don’t have any problems.” ‘I will never give up toilet paper.”

Understand that most people, who are using bidets once, used toilet paper. We understand both sides of the fence and there is no green grass on the toilet paper side. Weigh the facts before you are measured on an uneducated fear based opinion.
    I now know that toilet paper and baby wipes are the affliction and the best reason to use a toilet seat bidet.

• Why do you use water to impeccably wash 99% of your body and ignore the dirtiest area?
    • What is it about cleaning your butt with water that seems so bad?
    • How can you have a valid opinion when you don’t have the facts to back it up?
    4. As plumbers, do you really believe that paper and bb wipes is cleaning you better than water can?

Remember, toilet paper was a new concept to us at first. It was developed in the 1880’s and it wasn’t until the 1940 & 50’s that it took off; this is primarily because Sear’s went to glossy print in their catalog’s.

I was fearfully apposed to the thought of water spraying up my butt, just like most of you guys. It wasn’t until I tried a bidet and discovered how dramatic a difference it made in being clean, that I realized how evil toilet paper really is. I realized that my fear and distain for a bidet, was just because of draconian potty training techniques coupled with the Anglo Saxon puritan beliefs that our body’s are evil and sex is filthy. Ironically, it is not the sex that is dirty; it is the equipment you’re bringing to the job site.

I am torn between promoting bidets or baby wipes. Baby wipes do make our industry a lot of money. Bidets would slow down the toilet auguring, drain cleaning and septic pumping industry.

So you just keep being right; ridiculing, opposing and wiping away. Then when you are ready to get clean, take your shower. Bye the way; I will interpret your lack off response, as a toto agreement and acceptance on this subject and my work is complete.

Enjoy your new washlets one and all,
    John Crapper III

Re: Never give up your right to be wrong.

Nice first post Johnny. Tracy's video really got the talk going about bidets. I always thought it was a bit of a weird practice but at the same time there does seem to be a big up side to it as well especially the older you get.

It strikes me that a lot of germs could be prevented by using bidets. Sorry to offend those who don't wash their hands after dropping the kids off at the pool but It drives me nuts when people just leave the stall and walk out the door. With a bidet I still think people need to wash their hands but it seems like it would be a much cleaner process not having to wipe.

Very interesting point on less blockages in the plumbing. I'm sure people will always find ways to clog up the drains but it could prevent quite a bit.

Josh

Comment

Does that qualify as the most bizarre first post ever, besides the spammer with the soap-eating kids?

As I read through it, I kept thinking you were going to post a link where we could all go dutifully buy bidets.

I must have missed the thread that set this off.

So on the topic at hand... I've never actually used a bidet. I've got nothing against the concept... I just have no idea how the process works.

I get that it sprays water at your butt... but then what? I mean, do they have enough pressure to really get you clean or is that just part of the process? Is there a bottle brush involved? How do you dry off afterward?

Comment

How can you have a valid opinion when you don’t have the facts to back it up?

EXCELLENT point. I agree with you on this point 100% on any topic. Some people are very quick to form an opinion based on assumptions and throw those opinions around like they are indeed facts. I try not to do this myself but, I'm sure even I am guilty on occasion.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I too am interested ,,,, how do you dry ?

Then what do you do with the materials you dry with?

Don't know if I believe anyway cause as we all know , You can was dirt all you want but till you wipe it ,,, it doesn't really move does it ?

Comment

Now you have to close your eyes and think about this before you reply

Ok, now if someone took a dump on the nozzle ? The next person would get a blast of crap up the butt
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Geesh, I just don't understand why this topic doesn't come up more often.....

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                Now you have to close your eyes and think about this before you reply

Ok, now if someone took a dump on the nozzle ? The next person would get a blast of crap up the butt
                Good Post JC III

I was liking the idea of the Washlet until I read All Clears post

Now I'm not so sure

It has always seemed silly to me to have a toilet and bidet.

Crap in one then waddle to and hoover over the bidet to cleanup and you still need TP to dry off

When ever I install a bidet (which isn't very often maybe one per year) I try it out just to see if I'm missing something....I don't think I am

Some of the drain cleaning guys here might feel threatened by the Washlet

I have several clients that don't use TP and don't own bidets. What DO they use?..I don't ask and they don't offer

Comment

When I see what sticks to the bowl despite flushing sometimes, I wonder how effective a bidet really is.
                  Cats don't like water, and you don't wash them because they lose their instinct to clean themselves, water shooting up my butt doesn't mix well with my instincts either, and I just don't wanna know why.

Comment

I mentioned elsewhere that I have bidets. I have had them for over 30 years. I still use paper, then the bidet.

How do you dry yourself? Silly question. You put a towel bar up over the bidet. How do you normally dry yourself when you bathe?

Part of the bad press that bidets get is because of G.I.s who were stationed in France and found a bidet in their room. They were commonly used in brothels and the poor dogfaces had no idea what they were for. One of my instructors told me that he had tried to dump in one and then use a stick to get it to go down. (Only one toilet down the hall.)

"Bidet" is simply the French word for "Shower," which explains why those "personal showers" are often called bidets.

Tip: be careful with soap. It can irritate the tender tissues and cause all sorts of inflammation and damage.

Comment

Wait now...

So you squat over the bidet... it blasts water at your butt... and then you just dry off with a communal towel that you then leave there for the next person to use???

Seriously??

Now back to the comment above noting the sort of stuff that sticks to the bowl even after repeated flushings... coupled with the communal towel idea... and I just don't see how this can work!

I mean... I know it does... but does it REALLY?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel
                        and I just don't see how this can work!
                        You're right - and everyone in my household will soon be dead.

Without going into all the gory details, there are three bathrooms in the house and more than one towel bar each. And a laundry.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          Nice first post Johnny. Tracy's video really got the talk going about bidets. I always thought it was a bit of a weird practice but at the same time there does seem to be a big up side to it as well especially the older you get.

It strikes me that a lot of germs could be prevented by using bidets. Sorry to offend those who don't wash their hands after dropping the kids off at the pool but It drives me nuts when people just leave the stall and walk out the door. With a bidet I still think people need to wash their hands but it seems like it would be a much cleaner process not having to wipe.

Very interesting point on less blockages in the plumbing. I'm sure people will always find ways to clog up the drains but it could prevent quite a bit.

Josh
                          Thanks Josh,

I am glad you enjoyed my post that means a lot to me. This is a subject I am passionate about. Twenty years ago I moved out of a place because my roommates installed and starting using a bidet. I was a little homophobic at the time I guess.

When I tried a bidet a couple of years ago I realize what an idiot I was; my biggest regret was not trying it when I first was exposed to it. I agree about the germs, a recent medical study suggest that 72% of medical workers don’t wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Why aren’t they using a hands free method of cleaning?

When we go on a plugged toilet or sewer we offer a cheap $75.00 toilet seat bidet. We sell around 10% of the people we talk to and have sold over 300 cheap seat bidets. These people are preferred customers for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                            Does that qualify as the most bizarre first post ever, besides the spammer with the soap-eating kids?

As I read through it, I kept thinking you were going to post a link where we could all go dutifully buy bidets.

I must have missed the thread that set this off.

So on the topic at hand... I've never actually used a bidet. I've got nothing against the concept... I just have no idea how the process works.

I get that it sprays water at your butt... but then what? I mean, do they have enough pressure to really get you clean or is that just part of the process? Is there a bottle brush involved? How do you dry off afterward?
                            Yeah! Toilet seat bidets are the most cultural shocking subject to bring up around a group of people. In fact if you want to cut a conversation short; just bring up how much you enjoy your bidet. No more looking at your watch, the conversation is over.

I wondered the same thing; how is this little stream of water going to take care of a mess that eight handfuls of toilet paper and fourteen baby wipe can’t. It is like magic, That is easy to answer. If you have a weak constitution, please stop reading.

Toilet paper and baby wipes only touches the surface of the anus. This is sensitive tissue and when you come at it with a dry abrasive it puckers up to protect it’s self and what your trying to wipe away. A soft soothing stream of water doesn’t make you pucker up so the filth can get washed away. Some streams offer a recital cleansing; Eliminates any stains do to heavy lifting and straining.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              How can you have a valid opinion when you don’t have the facts to back it up?

EXCELLENT point. I agree with you on this point 100% on any topic. Some people are very quick to form an opinion based on assumptions and throw those opinions around like they are indeed facts. I try not to do this myself but, I'm sure even I am guilty on occasion.
                              I have been a service plumber for a number of years and I often tell my customers; we are trying to contain the force that created the Grand Canyon. I will never give up my right to be wrong when it comes to water. It makes them feel comfortable about calling me back instead of some other plumber.

Comment

Working...
                              X