X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric Water Heater

Be sure the new breaker is an exact match to the old one. Some may seem right but have slight differences and won't work for you. You can connect a Volt meter to the 2 screws on the breaker (be sure it's open) and then flip it on. You should read about 240 Volts. My bet is that the tie which connects both poles came apart. This can be internal with some breakers where you can't see it. Do be careful with your working on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Be sure the new breaker is an exact match to the old one. Some may seem right but have slight differences and won't work for you. You can connect a Volt meter to the 2 screws on the breaker (be sure it's open) and then flip it on. You should read about 240 Volts. My bet is that the tie which connects both poles came apart. This can be internal with some breakers where you can't see it. Do be careful with your working on this.
      Shouldn't you read 0 volts once flipped on since their won't be any potential difference? Still think he should call an electrition. There is no time delay on electricity. When you get it, you get fast and don't see it coming. It's not like plumbing where you can see the leak and just turn off the water and mop the floor and start over. Electricity will kill you. By the time you realize you've been shocked, it might be too late.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Check to make sure you don't have a hot water leak. If there is a hot water leak the water might be going through the tank faster than it can be heated.

Comment

Don't worry guys I am comfortable around electricity and like everyone else I've been bit.
          "Once bitten twice shy" No water leaks that I can find.
          Figured I'd take the breaker down to the local electrical supply house and get a new one.
          Thanks Again
          Please check out my web page
          www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Shouldn't you read 0 volts once flipped on since their won't be any potential difference? Still think he should call an electrician. There is no time delay on electricity. When you get it, you get fast and don't see it coming. It's not like plumbing where you can see the leak and just turn off the water and mop the floor and start over. Electricity will kill you. By the time you realize you've been shocked, it might be too late.
            Good advise about calling an electrician to check things and fix them.

As to the Voltage, with a 2 pole breaker which is the type needed, I had in mind measuring Voltage between the 2 screws that hold wires in place. With breaker open you better read 0, but with it on you should read around 240 Volts. The wires should be black and red, but in many cases will be black and white. The white needs red tape over several inches at both ends as it is not being used as a neutral.

With the electrical connections disconnected at the water heater, a VOM type meter could be used to make resistance measurements of the elements and also to check that the thermostats and limit cut out are connected properly and also working as they should be. This is only for people that understand and know how to do the tests.

As to being comfortable around a live circuit even a Master Electrician best not be.

Comment

New breaker fixed the problem.
              Thanks everyone
              www.woodandwax.net

Comment

you know i really liked how everyone helped sauk98 out and gave advice and did not go the "call a pro" route that has been all to common around here latly.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  you know i really liked how everyone helped sauk98 out and gave advice and did not go the "call a pro" route that has been all to common around here latly.
                  see people can be nice
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have always found this site to be helpful wheather it be HAVC or woodworking. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
                    www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                      OSC how would you feel giving advice to someone and he hurt himself or died because of it? I've stopped giving HVAC advice for that very reason and also because it entails way more than a DIY should handle. I've seen people do tasks that they never should have undertaken because they thought they understood what they were doing due to the advice they were given. Like I said before, with plumbing-turn off the water, mop the floor-no big deal. With electricity-you are dead-no coming back, no mopping the floor-your loved one is calling the coroner. Of course this is the worst case scenario but that's how electricity is, you can get touch by 120v 1000 times and just get a tingle. That 1001 time could kill you. I've gotten zapped from 240 and it almost killed me. I've seen pics from OSHA on electrical shocks-not a pretty thing at all. It ranks right up there with seeing people getting blown in half.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you are right Ben the person your trying to help needs to know when to stop and get help .he did say

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
                        Don't worry guys I am comfortable around electricity and like everyone else I've been bit.
                        "Once bitten twice shy" No water leaks that I can find.
                        Figured I'd take the breaker down to the local electrical supply house and get a new one.
                        Thanks Again
                        so there is not much you can do at this point
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

To try and make everyone feel a little more comfortable about the advice I was given.
                          My Uncle was an electrical contractor and taught me alot starting at age 14. I have done all my own home wiring for years but in no way I am an electrician. However I have installed 100 amp service and passed com-ed inspection prior to connection. Even though I am comfortable with electricity I do respect it and now when I am over my head and in no way would I hold any of you responsable for my being stupid.
                          Again I want to say thanks to everyone, and I know not everyone knows when to say enough and move over and let the pros do it.
                          I hope you guys continue to give good advice to the people on this forum.
                          www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
                            New breaker fixed the problem.
                            Thanks everyone

This news above will have me always considering the fact that the breaker isn't fool proof by any stretch of the imagination.

A very important point and it will keep me from spinning my wheels on my end as a plumber.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              OSC how would you feel giving advice to someone and he hurt himself or died because of it?

if my advice is sound and that person claims "yes i understand completely" and then does the complete and total opissite then .... oh well i have little to no remorse, now if i give bad advice and this person gets hurt and or dies then not only should i feel bad i should be held liabile. heance the reason i give very little advice. but the advice i do give out is sound and safe advice if done properly. now let me ask this, with all these how to books available do you feel that these books threaten your lively hood? if someone does what is in the book will the athuer of the book be held liable if this same person gets hurt or dies, if the books advice is sound?

gear, i am not picking you or your comment apart i am just giving a reply. i respect the fact that you do not want to help other but this guy never lied by saying he was a plumber or anthing like that. he was dead honest in what he did and how he did it and the results of what happened the only thing that i caught and it was only after the second time i read this was when he said the he replaced the elements and he still had the same problem, so the faulty breaker took longer to find then it should have but such as life.
                              Last edited by oldslowchevy; 12-09-2007, 10:40 PM.
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

All I can say is,it's been a pleasure reading this thread from beginning to this point. OSC you and most of the other guys on this Forum were sure raised right! You are your own man but still show respect for guys you disagree with, and that's rare on the Internet. I see the point of view some Pros have either not wanting to lose jobs or not wanting to risk some DIY'r hurting himself and at the same time I respect guys like OSC who are willing to spoon feed the DIY'r who wants to learn about the things around him. Unless you have the person right in front of you it's hard to know what skills they have. I use to instruct new guys on how to operate big bucket trucks, auger trucks and all sorts of other power equipment and some guys just don't get it no matter how many times you drill stuff into their heads. I think as long as you give them a heads up as to how risky the job can be, or advise them when they might be over their head, you should not be held responsible. Grown men have to be responsible for their own actions and behavior. If I tell you I have a volt meter and know how to use it, then electrocute myself it's my own fault! I hope this Forum and all you guys are around for a long time to come. I've really enjoyed reading about guys who know what they're doing and guys who are willing to push themselves to learn.
                                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 12-09-2007, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X